Useless Managers

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Wasn't he more of a case of:

- Coach promoted off the back of a sacking mid-season.
- Did a good enough job of it to get a run at the job (I swear he either saved them from relegation or got them promoted - Can't think which.).
- Following season, not so good.
- Sacked.

One of my best mates is Reading... They were generally supportive of him.

It's the shit old-boys club journeymen getting rich off the back of repeated failure (& the cheque-book managers) that I take issue with.

...Anyone else just needs to find their level.
Yeah that's fair enough actually it's a shame he never seemed to get a second chance in the prem while as you said someone like Hughes could get relegated twice in a row and still get another job in the prem.

Bruce is likely to be getting the Wednesday job.

How do people like him, Hughes, Pullis et al keep getting work?
Bruce and Pulis guarantee Championship upper-mid table at least. Boring but safe. Hughes is a proven Premier League failure of course.

P. S. Ipswich sacked a manager acheiving just that in Mick Mccarthy and replaced him with a young up and coming name. They're now marooned at the bottom of the table. At the risk of stating the obvious, Chairmen don't like to take risks.

Last edited:
Those managers who fail every time yet still find employment on the merry go round?

Steve McClaren for me.

Now at QPR overseeing their worst start ever. Will get sacked, go on sky as a pundit, blame everyone else whilst QPR improve and then rock up at another club to repeat the same cycle.
He's an absolute shocker as a manager.

Good record as a coach. Cannot understand why:

Club owners give him the job that he obviously can't do, time after time;
He himself puts himself forward for jobs where he'll be a proven failure. (Edit, oh it's money of course).

Coach...Manager - such a different skill set. No reason why if you're good at one you'll automatically be good at the other.

What's amazing about Curbishley is that he was at Charlton for an entire decade. It's like Moyes at Everton. Just one of those incredibly long managerial posts that totally flew under the radar (unless you were paying attention, I guess).

Got Charlton promoted twice.

Yes, yes. I read that on Wikipedia. It’s just that in my drunken early evening holiday existence I managed to imagine Fulham was Charlton for some reason.

Some (who were equally inebriated on local canned lager) would consider it a reasonable error. Both insignificant London clubs after all.

Yes, yes. I read that on Wikipedia. It’s just that in my drunken early evening holiday existence I managed to imagine Fulham was Charlton for some reason.

Some (who were equally inebriated on local canned lager) would consider it a reasonable error. Both insignificant London clubs after all.

My point was the stats don't always tell the whole story.

Simon Jordan's the most interesting pundit on Talkshite by a country mile. He's opinionated, and he's also run a club, so has alot of credibility.

The worst has got to be Dean Saunders. Really annoying voice too.

Good for the occasional anecdote about old-school dressing room culture etc, but he's one kool-aid drinking motherfucker and is another one that talks in slogans (Honestly I could write his 'Final Word' script for him a week in advance!). Dipper too :pochunimpressed:

Jordan: I'm sure he's a smug little asshole in real life, but considering how the game has changed (i.e. the football "business"); a perspective such as his is a breath of fresh air and potentially holds more resonance as to what happens to our teams in the long run than most of the guff reported and discussed regarding players and matches. More often than not a thoroughly good listen. Doesn't give a fuck too which is always fun (see QPR rant)...

Back
Top Bottom