Video Assistant Referee

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

VAR is used wrong the PL - that’s all. Adopt the Serie A model and half the shit goes away
Offsides are the same in Seria A, majority of the shit is related to that.

As per espn

Since the World Cup, VAR has improved with these offside decisions now so accurate that referees just agree with what they are being told in their earpiece, and players are not protesting either.

I think the focus of VAR is just wrong. I don't care about a goal where a player is a millimeter offside. That's just pedantic and slows everything down. Sure, if you can see it clearly and the guys off by an obvious amount, call it back and do it quickly. I don't know what the rule needs to say for that, but maybe a ref uses some discretion? I realise that's a slippery slope though.

I also think that they should be targeting obvious fouls and make it known it's coming. Wrapping players up and grabbing them in corners and free kicks, diving, etc. Should all have a publicized campaign to clean things up. If a team gives up 3 penalties because of it, they're going to change their actions in short order. To me, that's how they should use VAR though, not this five minute delay to see if he's one pixel offside in the buildup garbage.

I am not sure there can be too many objections to VAR in principle. It is not always possible for an official to see everything on the pitch. However, the implementation has been poor.

Mission Statement - Ensure a referee decision does not alter the match outcome.

1. The key decisions must be the on pitch officials. Bring in the pitch side screens.

The Liverpool game is a good example of this. Michael Oliver is a senior official and the VAR ref Paul Tierney more junior. Paul was never going to overturn Micheal Oliver's decision.

On the flip side, spurs vs sheffield we have Graham Scott on field and Jon Moss on VAR - guess who makes the decisions in that game.

2. No more super slow motion. Agree a speed and stick to it. I would say 25% or 50%.

3. The marginal 1mm offside MUST GO. If the offside cannot be seen when the video is played at an agreed speed then it is marginal and the advantage should go to the striker.

4. Hand Ball. If the path of the ball is altered such that a goal scoring opportunity is denied/created then give it. If the cross is going nowhere - forget it.

5. Introduce mandatory yellow cards for diving and simulation. Hold your face when you got elbowed in the chest - Yellow card. This should be clear and easy for an off field VAR official to see and advise on field.

I am not sure there can be too many objections to VAR in principle. It is not always possible for an official to see everything on the pitch. However, the implementation has been poor.

1. The key decisions must be the on pitch officials. Bring in the pitch side screens.

The Liverpool game is a good example of this. Michael Oliver is a senior official and the VAR ref Paul Tierney more junior. Paul was never going to overturn Micheal Oliver's decision.

On the flip side, spurs vs sheffield we have Graham Scott on field and Jon Moss on VAR - guess who makes the decisions in that game.

2. No more super slow motion. Agree a speed and stick to it. I would say 25% or 50%.

3. The marginal 1mm offside MUST GO. If the offside cannot be seen when the video is played at an agreed speed then it is marginal and the advantage should go to the striker.

4. Hand Ball. If the path of the ball is altered such that a goal scoring opportunity is denied/created then give it. If the cross is going nowhere - forget it.

5. Introduce mandatory yellow cards for diving and simulation. Hold your face when you got elbowed in the chest - Yellow card. This should be clear and easy for an off field VAR official to see and advise on field.
I would change 5 to a straight red and a 3 match ban for a first offence.
The only way to stop it.

Rather than VAR I would want to roll back a few decades to what constitutes a foul .

Contact does not mean a foul, if the contact needs to be enough to actually impede the player it will stop 90% of diving as the player will just be ignored. I am not talking tackle from behind hatchet job but there is a happy medium between that and the near non-contact we currently have.

Never going to happen, in fact it will keep going the other way.

Greatly relieved that under your rules Dier can continue to play offenders 2mm offside.

I love the playback at an agreed speed. That's a brilliant idea to cut out a pile of these problems.

So, we return to the ongoing nightmare that is VAR today.

Having watched the VAR-free Euro-Qualifier International games oer the past week, I must say how refreshing it was.

VAR is ruining the game in several ways. It should be binned, put on Ebay with no reserve, recycled, or simply taken to the city dump.

Nobody benefits. It's a failure. Admit it. Get rid of it.

As usual, VAR is a joke. Calls back the goal that Sanchez scores because of a handball (clearly unintentional) and then no penalty on Cook for handball. What a farce.

The VAR calls in question are a result of the new offside rule (which is stupid in its own right). VAR has been incredibly poor implemented in the Premier League. It's something that can actually work in the right conditions.

As usual, VAR is a joke. Calls back the goal that Sanchez scores because of a handball (clearly unintentional) and then no penalty on Cook for handball. What a farce.
Yes, absolutely farcical yesterday. Also, that Son disallowed goal still baffles me as they can manipulate a frame or two to make a fair goal look bad or good. That would have been a win which turned into a loss.

No unintentional for a goal scored anymore.. It hits your hand and its ruled out. Its a shit rule rather than VAR.

Second is grey... I would be gutted if it was given against us.

I hate VAR but the first wasn't a VAR thing.

No unintentional for a goal scored anymore.. It hits your hand and its ruled out. Its a shit rule rather than VAR.

Second is grey... I would be gutted if it was given against us.

I hate VAR but the first wasn't a VAR thing.
Controversial but I think this is a great rule, removes the grey area and the grey areas in the rule book are part of what makes it so long for VAR decisions. Second one am still baffled that wasn't a pen, that was as stonewall a handball as you'll ever see.

Back
Top Bottom