Video Assistant Referee

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The only thing I don't like is they just show the animated image and we are supposed to assume that its the correct reflection of what actually happened.

For all we know it could be as inaccurate and farcical as the current one
Same as Hawkeye in tennis. Often you can tell that the player knows the graphic is wrong. You also have to believe that 'the ball was just missing off stump by a whisker', in cricket, don't you?

Football's different though - it's IMPORTANT.

I think I can count on one hand the amount of times that the on-field ref has decided against any action following a VAR check. Once you isolate the moment of its context, you're creating a different set of parameters.

Some of the recent decisions in the UEFA competitions have been downright awful and err on the side of punishment.

It works in cricket but there are normal stoppages in play. In football in some matches like Monday it is too much. Perhaps VAR should not cover everything but like cricket each team can appeal 3 times and VaR repotrt but it does not interfere if no appeal. Would Chelsea have appealed about Romero’s tackle? The goals are always likely to be appealed but not so other matters.

Same as Hawkeye in tennis. Often you can tell that the player knows the graphic is wrong. You also have to believe that 'the ball was just missing off stump by a whisker', in cricket, don't you?

Football's different though - it's IMPORTANT.
With cricket it works because everyone knows that Hawkeye isn't perfect.

If half the ball, or less, is hitting/missing they go with the umpires call.

The same should happen with offsides.
If they can't tell in 30 seconds go with the on field call.

It works in cricket but there are normal stoppages in play. In football in some matches like Monday it is too much. Perhaps VAR should not cover everything but like cricket each team can appeal 3 times and VaR repotrt but it does not interfere if no appeal. Would Chelsea have appealed about Romero’s tackle? The goals are always likely to be appealed but not so other matters.
Can you imagine the utter mess that would create in football? I can.

Imo it has been apparent for a very long time that VAR is sucking the life out of football and slowly killing the game we all love. Is it time to start a parliamentary petition calling for its abolition? It would be interesting to see what sort of traction it would get.

Imo it has been apparent for a very long time that VAR is sucking the life out of football and slowly killing the game we all love. Is it time to start a parliamentary petition calling for its abolition? It would be interesting to see what sort of traction it would get.
I should have checked before I posted. A petition calling for the abolition of VAR in the Premier League was rejected in September this year as it fell outside parliamentary jurisdiction.
Oh well……..Anyone else got any ideas how to promote our opposition to VAR on a grand scale?

4:30 of pure absolute waffle, time to get rid of this crap.
It’s mental. Honestly mental

Binning this crap in the UK and carving it out of the FIFA rules would be a smart move and create an even bigger USP appeal for fans and help the PL underline its position as number 1 league

Bunch of clowns waffling but they are really making it up. The tech is so, so poor

Back
Top Bottom