Vincent Janssen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The truth is there are not many fantastic strikers in the premier league period. If we go by that criteria then we are only looking at around 5-10 players of any age. I am not a Janssen-phobe. Yes I think he could do a job one day. The premier league is just a bit too quick for him at the moment. It is not like he was not given a chance. He clearly has something though as his goals for NL prove.
On the Dembele point. I am utterly mythed as to why we did not sign him. My Fulham friends were raving about him. I am utterly convinced he would be just fine in the premier league.

I too am perplexed as to why we couldn't get Dembele, I got the point that Fulham were in a relegation scrap last season and needed his goals. In the end we signed no striker that window, so would it have been too much of an ask to get him signed to a pre-contract? He's scoring for fun in Scotland, will be interesting to see if he can like Janssen make the step up to an elite league.

Yes poorly scouted i agree. Maybe partly why Broomfield is leaving.
Everything we have read about Poch is how diligent he is. With transfers all he talks about is "the right profile". Again, the idea that the man who's influence is all over the club now (showing he is the The Boss) a man who constantly talks about getting "the right fit" had a cuppa and a fag with Broomfield and he signed Jansen despite not being "his type of player" is preposterous.

Wrong singing maybe, more time will tell. Or he will bin him off, he is ruthless if a mistake has been made.

I would love for Vinny to work out, seriously I would love that. But there's a problem, in fact there are a few problems. His temperament is sadly, the bad Dutch temperament. When things don't go his way, the pass doesn't come, you can see the annoyance and frustration, he can't hide it. Also when this happens he takes himself out of play by the head going down and he stays in an offside position.

This then affects his team mates. There were times yesterday he seemed the ideal person to pass to, only the team seemed to only pass to him as a last resort or if he had acres of space.

Also I do wonder if Poch has a rule out where passes over the top aren't really appreciated. Twice yesterday he was in space, splitting the last men, if the ball over the top had been played, he was clean through. The pass never came, I've seen this a few times.

So the question needs to be asked. Do we cut him loose and say it simply wasn't working, or do we hide him away for a while and try and iron out his flaws. Tough call.

If anyone can, Poch will get him up to speed. At least I hope so. He's been here 5 minutes in the scheme of things & he's 22 years old.
He's still getting game time & hasn't been banished to the reserves or under 21's.

That suggests to me that Poch has not given up on him. Players that don't fit in are banished. We've seen that Poch can be a merciless bastard when needed.

Maybe I'm clutching at straws because he was pants yesterday, but it is still early days.

I would love for Vinny to work out, seriously I would love that. But there's a problem, in fact there are a few problems. His temperament is sadly, the bad Dutch temperament. When things don't go his way, the pass doesn't come, you can see the annoyance and frustration, he can't hide it. Also when this happens he takes himself out of play by the head going down and he stays in an offside position.

This then affects his team mates. There were times yesterday he seemed the ideal person to pass to, only the team seemed to only pass to him as a last resort or if he had acres of space.

Also I do wonder if Poch has a rule out where passes over the top aren't really appreciated. Twice yesterday he was in space, splitting the last men, if the ball over the top had been played, he was clean through. The pass never came, I've seen this a few times.

So the question needs to be asked. Do we cut him loose and say it simply wasn't working, or do we hide him away for a while and try and iron out his flaws. Tough call.

His body language is a major problem, in my view. Poch, or one of the other coaches needs to sit him down, show him a video of his body language when he loses the ball, miscontrols the ball, when a teammate doesn't pass to him, when the ref doesn't give him a pen, etc. And say look, I get why you feel this way but you have to stop showing it because your teammates pick up on it and so do they opposition defenders. You have to relax, accept that things won't go your way much of the time but keep plugging away and be patient, be very patient, because eventually it will happen for you. Don't try to do something different, follow what we tell you and also be instinctive.

His body language is a major problem, in my view. Poch, or one of the other coaches needs to sit him down, show him a video of his body language when he loses the ball, miscontrols the ball, when a teammate doesn't pass to him, when the ref doesn't give him a pen, etc. And say look, I get why you feel this way but you have to stop showing it because your teammates pick up on it and so do they opposition defenders. You have to relax, accept that things won't go your way much of the time but keep plugging away and be patient, be very patient, because eventually it will happen for you. Don't try to do something different, follow what we tell you and also be instinctive.
This is very true. I don't think he has the mental strength for it though.

He doesn't have the look of a winner. When he's about to come on his facial expression is worried and timid. He looks like a guy who's given up before he even sets foot on the pitch.

Plus ability wise I don't see any signs of class in him. At least with Saldado you could see in his touch and movement that there was some quality there.

Janssen I fear just had a very purple 5 - 6 months in a poor league and don't see him cutting it in the Prem. Would love to be wrong but if Aston Villa in the FA Cup isn't the game he grabs his chance when will it be??

Yes very good point: Body language very important and he needs someone who can motivate him and install self-confidence and as you say to relax around his teammates.

I too am perplexed as to why we couldn't get Dembele... He's scoring for fun in Scotland, will be interesting to see if he can like Janssen make the step up to an elite league.

To he fair... you or I could score for fun in Scotland... that's why it's no fun!

...and as you say, "it would be interesting to see 'like Janssen' making the step up to an elite league.."

Except we've yet to see if Janssen actually can!!!

Something worth considering:

Strikers need to get passed to when in shooting positions so they can do striker type stuff. So far, that isn't happening for Vincent. What is not getting talked about is that this is also happening to Harry Kane this year. In previous seasons Kane was a 4-5 shot per 90 shooter. Last year he took the second most shots in Europe after Christiano Ronaldo. Good strikers are high volume shooters.

This year, he's average half his normal output (around 2.5 shots per 90). Yet Spurs are still shooting bucket loads. Where are the shots coming from?

Eriksen is shooting a LOT. Like more than 4 shots a game. From really bad locations. He's freakishly accurate, but no one in the world scores in high volume from where he shoots from. Dele Alli and Son Heung-Min are also both shooting more (1 shot per 90 more each than last year).

The lack of passing to strikers (see the lack of throughballs by Eriksen) in favour of shooting by our midfielders is the issue. Janssen is struggling, and there are reasons to worry. But Kane is also struggling, and we're not noticing because Dele and Son are actually having ridiculous seasons.

TLDR;

Spurs have a problem. Janssen is a symptom, not a cause.

The other side to that is that before Kane gets found out and marked out of games by 3 defenders on him, we play like we did against Chelsea, and "use him by not using him" (FA Cup Semi 91 quote)

Its great that the midfielders are taking more shots and that Alli has the same amount of goals as Kane.

I dont care if Kane scores 25 and Alli 5 or they get 15 each to be honest.

We are becoming less predictable

The other side to that is that before Kane gets found out and marked out of games by 3 defenders on him, we play like we did against Chelsea, and "use him by not using him" (FA Cup Semi 91 quote)

Its great that the midfielders are taking more shots and that Alli has the same amount of goals as Kane.

I dont care if Kane scores 25 and Alli 5 or they get 15 each to be honest.

We are becoming less predictable
Actually, we're more predictable, as it's very easy to tell that we will ignore the dangerous pass in favour of a shot from range.

Kane has not been "found out". He's always marked. He was also always marked last year. This year, he's getting passed to much less. That makes things more predictable, as teams know to ignore him.

Back
Top Bottom