Vincent Janssen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I really don't know what the POLITICS involved here is, Poch has added some 3rd rate goal keeper to the champions league squad and frozen out Jassen , I am sick of this sh*t. why buy a player in the first place if we will not given him a chance? This isn't just about Jassen, but n'koudou , sissoko and wimmer .
It's been said before, but players are brought in and paid to train. Those that are up to the mark in the gaffer's eyes get selected for match day, which is the cherry on the cake for them, rather than a god-given entitlement.

It's been said before, but players are brought in and paid to train. Those that are up to the mark in the gaffer's eyes get selected for match day, which is the cherry on the cake for them, rather than a god-given entitlement.
I'll agree with this. Poch has shown plenty of times he's willing to give players extra rope to bed in (Son, Lamela, Sissoko) and given young players an opportunity to step up and take on responsibility in the squad rather than buy in players over top of them (Kane, Dele, Winks). I believe Janssen will be a success somewhere, and wish him nothing but the best - but if Poch has frozen him out then there's clearly an issue we're not privy to.

I will never, ever understand the ideology of football managers......there times we were 4-1, 4-0, 3-0 up and Vinny would get between 3 and 10 minutes.

What is the point in kicking a players self belief in the face for no reason?

Many a game he could have got at least 30 minutes.....and when we need a goal he gets brought in injury time.

Good luck Vince

I love Poch but he did the same to :soldadowatch:

I love Poch but he did the same to :soldadowatch:

Gut reaction was to disagree with you adamently....but then the stats...

16/17 Janssen - 20 starts 27 subs including 7/20 in the league.

14/15 Bobby - 18 starts 22 subs including 7/17 in the league.

Context is different I still think...but it's a fair comparison. :pochsulk:

I think BHA fucked up on the loan quota? Bought in Tim Krul as a 3rd keeper on loan and in doing so kiboshed themselves when they tried to get the striker they are desperate for. Schoolboy error if true.
Not sure about that. I think the quota allowed is 8 loan players. Definitely that is the rule for Championship /FL. Yet they have a restriction on the amount allowed to be selected in a team, 5 of the 8
The PL has no restriction on the amount fielded in a team
I think they had their quota last season, but got rid of or made permanent this.
I'm sure they only have 2 loans in, one being Krull.
I could be wrong on both though

Not sure about that. I think the quota allowed is 8 loan players. Definitely that is the rule for Championship /FL. Yet they have a restriction on the amount allowed to be selected in a team, 5 of the 8
The PL has no restriction on the amount fielded in a team
I think they had their quota last season, but got rid of or made permanent this.
I'm sure they only have 2 loans in, one being Krull.
I could be wrong on both though
Not sure on BHA's loan numbers and heading to dinner so not going to check - but the PL definitely has some restrictive loan rules.

Deadline day: How many loans are allowed?

If only that chance he missed with his weaker foot at home in his first game had gone in.
Could have had a different outcome.
He actually made a great run through the middle and looked very composed but curled it just wide.
Well we all knew he was still learning and it was a massive step up.

Not sure on BHA's loan numbers and heading to dinner so not going to check - but the PL definitely has some restrictive loan rules.

Deadline day: How many loans are allowed?
I wasn't aware of that. But how many you can have in a squad.
Are these new rules?
I'm sure West Ham signed 3 on loan last summer
Tore, Calleri and Zaza?
Edit: Oh so you can loan in 4 in a both windows 2 in each but more in one window if they are foreign ?
Seems a bit weird that you can't loan from English clubs more than 2 in a window but can loan the whole 4 in one if they are from overseas.

Last edited:
I reckon we'll be stuck with him for the duration of his contract. He's realised he's not good enough. He doesn't want to play anywhere else and have people continue to laugh at him. He's just gonna turn up to training everyday, go through the motions, probably get a bit chubbier, then invest his wages in property and he'll retire when his contract runs out with us.

I reckon we'll be stuck with him for the duration of his contract. He's realised he's not good enough. He doesn't want to play anywhere else and have people continue to laugh at him. He's just gonna turn up to training everyday, go through the motions, probably get a bit chubbier, then invest his wages in property and he'll retire when his contract runs out with us.
A player who just the year previous scored 27 goals in the Eredivisie is going to pack it in at 23 to become a pudgy estate broker? You've lost the plot.

I honestly feel a meal is being made out of Vinny's situation - Poch may want rid, but Vinny has the right to seek a move he's happy and motivated with. FFS everyone is over in the Barkley thread sucking the crock off because he turned down chavs, to the immense ire of his employer, because it wasn't the move he wanted....but Vinny is a cunt for doing the same? Fickle lot.

For all the people who think Poch isn't being fair did you ever consider that Janssen might be as shit in training as he is in matches?

In many public training sessions people have come away saying Janssen had the best finishing out of anyone there and worked hard.

He could be shit for the other 365 days, but in public he's trained very well.

In many public training sessions people have come away saying Janssen had the best finishing out of anyone there and worked hard.

He could be shit for the other 365 days, but in public he's trained very well.
Lots of possible situations

Maybe people watching public training are as stupid as the average football fan

Maybe he does work hard and finish well but is unable to get into those shooting positions in matches that he does during drills

Maybe he does work hard and finish well but lacks other attributes to make his inclusion worthwhile

I mean really what signs have we seen so far for us that he'll come good?

I've never been one to downplay a player's contribution but we haven't seen much at all.

He isn't fast. His movement isn't anything to shout about.
His hold up play is overall weak, sometimes he does hold the ball well with his back to defenders and lay it off/play 1-2s (which you'd expect from any premier league striker who isn't pacey as bare minimum) but he's way more like to concede a foul (often unfairly as he does get wrestled a lot) or lose the ball immediately. His finishing hasn't been anything special. No noticeable vision or guile.

A player who just the year previous scored 27 goals in the Eredivisie is going to pack it in at 23 to become a pudgy estate broker? You've lost the plot.

I honestly feel a meal is being made out of Vinny's situation - Poch may want rid, but Vinny has the right to seek a move he's happy and motivated with. FFS everyone is over in the Barkley thread sucking the crock off because he turned down chavs, to the immense ire of his employer, because it wasn't the move he wanted....but Vinny is a cunt for doing the same? Fickle lot.
It was a loan move to a prem club where he would have been the main man - it would have given him playing time and the chance to show what he could do. I think most believe it would have been a sensible move.
I am particularly harsh on Janssen because I think he's been marginally better than Rasiak in terms of centre forward play, and as a big signing been given an easy ride because all the criticism has been aimed at Sissoko. I recall the shit that Dukebox took in the 90's - he was twice the player Janssen was. That said Vinny is only 23 - but for 20mill he needs to be showing something more (is he going to get the chance though)

Gut reaction was to disagree with you adamently....but then the stats...

16/17 Janssen - 20 starts 27 subs including 7/20 in the league.

14/15 Bobby - 18 starts 22 subs including 7/17 in the league.

Context is different I still think...but it's a fair comparison. :pochsulk:

What irritated me was when Bobby scored a cracking goal against Everton which might have given him a bit of confidence Poch dropped him next game!

I'm sure he had his reasons etc but feel he was mistaken and Janssen for me just needs a bit of confidence

Looking at him now I think he's lost weight
:pochshock2:

He has. I think the entire forum was unanimous on that during the pre-season+spring

Thought so

So let's get behind him as his teammates clearly did when he scored from open play last season but I do believe a season's loan with a struggling PL side like Spam, Brighton or Newcastle would do him good

Back
Top Bottom