Vincent Janssen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Vincent Janssen has become a better player since his summer move to Tottenham, according to De Telegraaf.

The respected Dutch newspaper claim the striker has “grown” and “become stronger” following his transfer despite scoring only one goal in his first two months at Spurs.

The majority of pundits and Tottenham fans have been underwhelmed by Janssen, 22, who has yet to prove a consistent threat to top flight defences.

The Dutch striker has made 10 appearances for Spurs this season and his only goal was a penalty against Gillingham in the EFL Cup.

De Telegraaf gave a contrasting verdict after Janssen led the Holland line with aplomb as he scored a stunning goal in their 4-1 World Cup qualifier win against Belarus on Friday night.

“Everyone in the Feyenoord stadium could see Vincent has grown in London and become a much better player at Spurs, that he’s become stronger,” read the report, as quoted by the official Tottenham website. “He was a nightmare for his opponents because even when they were pulling and pushing, he always kept the ball, his team-mates could always reach him and he was always in a good position to get the ball.

“Vincent is a good story and because of him, Robin van Persie isn’t selected anymore, Klaas Jan Huntelaar, the Schalke striker, he’s not selected and we now have Bas Dost of Sporting Lisbon, he’s scoring a lot in Portugal but the national coach has a lot of confidence in Vincent, and Vincent makes that true.”

The forward was signed for £18million from Dutch side AZ Alkmaar to provide competition for first-choice Spurs spearhead Harry Kane.

An ankle injury to Kane paved the way for Janssen to have a regular run in the team but he had only mixed success in three consecutive starts and manager Mauricio Pochettino selected Heung-Min Son as the spearhead in last Sunday’s 2-0 win over Manchester City.

Janssen, who netted 32 times in just 49 appearances for his former club AZ last season, remains a regular starter for Holland.
Tottenham news: Janssen has improved at Spurs - De Telegraaf

Anyone watch Holland/France tonight?

Thought he looked dreadful. Hopefully that's his poor game out of the way for the week and comes back to us eager to impress again.

Played well, yet again working his nuts off. Everything he does he does for himself, creates his own chances (usually half chances as he usually has his back to goal with a defender up his jacksy). He laid off some nice balls to those arround him, would have had an assist if Depay wasn't so shite.

Genuinely don't think a single team mate actually found him with a cross or picked out one of his runs.

I'm not even a Janssen hater and am one of his biggest supporters but I'm taking off the rose tinted glasses here - he wasn't good at all.

It always seems to be his colleagues that are at fault when it comes to him I've noticed - isn't it convenient that no matter who's on his team, whether it's the creativity of Lamela or Eriksen, on form Son, YPOTY in Alli or the likes of Wijnaldum and Strootman for Holland but neither of them are good enough to pick out his runs or find him with crosses at ALL this season.

Didn't think he was bad at all. Worked hard and held the ball up nicely.

He was very isolated and didn't get a lot of help from his teammates.

Also didn't help that France dominated for 80 minutes.

I'm not even a Janssen hater and am one of his biggest supporters but I'm taking off the rose tinted glasses here - he wasn't good at all.

It always seems to be his colleagues that are at fault when it comes to him I've noticed - isn't it convenient that no matter who's on his team, whether it's the creativity of Lamela or Eriksen, on form Son, YPOTY in Alli or the likes of Wijnaldum and Strootman for Holland but neither of them are good enough to pick out his runs or find him with crosses at ALL this season.

Zi96OUw.png

Last edited:
His movement has been pretty good all season. He needs time to settle in the system and get used to linking up with the rest of the team. Poch is going to rotate the squad all season, he will get his opportunities.

I'm not sure why he is getting such a hard time from some fans and media, the way I see it in every game he has played since Kane has been out injured, Regardless if he scored or not, we would have still got exactly the same amount of points for each game. Him scoring would not have affected the outcome of the match!
I am sure everyone wants him to be a success at Spurs and with Pochs proven ability of getting the best from players I'm sure he will come good, but we need to give him time, I could understand if we had broke our transfer record to bring him straight into the first team, but this is clearly not the case, besides he failed to score in his first 8 games for AZ Alkmaar last season and then went and scored 20 league goals in the second half of the season, lets please not write him off quite so soon, how many people comparing him to Solado would have been happy to see Son leave during the last transfer window?
As long as we keep winning and picking up points I don't care about how many goals he will score in his first season with us!

Same with Lamela, same with Son and now with Janssen. Give him a season under the league. Like Lamela and Son, there is class in him and will come out strong in year 2. Janssen and Kane will be the best 2 Top in the league for the next 7~8 years with 5 or 6 titles to their credit.

Same with Lamela, same with Son and now with Janssen. Give him a season under the league. Like Lamela and Son, there is class in him and will come out strong in year 2. Janssen and Kane will be the best 2 Top in the league for the next 7~8 years with 5 or 6 titles to their credit.

We're going to win 5-6 titles in the next 7-8 years? When we've not won one for fifty-five?

I don't want to be a downer, everything's moving in the right direction and this is a really exciting time for the club, but let's not get ahead of ourselves and make wild prophecies that can only end in disappointment. All we've got to show for Poch's reign so far is a Milk Cup runners' up medal. I don't doubt that if we can keep the squad (and manager) together we can win silverware, but to say we'll dominate on a level never seen except for Ferguson's United and Paisley's Liverpool is embarrassing.

We're going to win 5-6 titles in the next 7-8 years? When we've not won one for fifty-five?

I don't want to be a downer, everything's moving in the right direction and this is a really exciting time for the club, but let's not get ahead of ourselves and make wild prophecies that can only end in disappointment. All we've got to show for Poch's reign so far is a Milk Cup runners' up medal. I don't doubt that if we can keep the squad (and manager) together we can win silverware, but to say we'll dominate on a level never seen except for Ferguson's United and Paisley's Liverpool is embarrassing.

You're right. Lets make it 6-7 titles and 4 CL Finals in the next 8 years.

Back
Top Bottom