Vincent Janssen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How many players recently have started their Spurs careers slowly and come good in the end?

Bale, Lamela, Son, Kane, Rose just to name a few. Nowhere near enough time to judge him yet
Bale didnt start slow. He played well straight away and scored a few goals....its just that the team couldnt win when he played but he himself played well. Son also started well and scored on his debut and Kane also played well and scored straight away when Sherwood gave him a run of games in the first team.

Not sure what your point is here.
Drogba and Shearer were target players, they scored plenty. Harry Kane is a target player ... golden boot winner.

Quite easy to throw around names to prove a point. Crouch was a target man, didn't score many.

Listing off names doesn't really say much of anything. They don't even have the same role. And to say Kane is a target man, dear me. When Kane gets the ball he turns and runs. He doesn't back into a defender and pass it.

Fucking hell the expectations from some of you lot are absolutely ridiculous. It is clear that Vincent has top qualities when it comes to holding up and involving other players - he set Dele up for a one on one in the first half last game and made it look super easy. If he can create goalscoring opportunities for the three behind him then does it matter if he isn't scoring? He is most likely being told to occupy space in between defenders and open lanes for others to fill.

The kid can obviously score as he has shown for AZ and Holland, and he is only a 22 year old in a new team and new league after all. Can we also think about the fact that he was bought as a backup / option and Harry is still our number 1. We don't need this guy to be a 20 goal striker because we already have one!

All in all, chill your fucking nuts.

Fucking hell the expectations from some of you lot are absolutely ridiculous. It is clear that Vincent has top qualities when it comes to holding up and involving other players - he set Dele up for a one on one in the first half last game and made it look super easy. If he can create goalscoring opportunities for the three behind him then does it matter if he isn't scoring? He is most likely being told to occupy space in between defenders and open lanes for others to fill.

The kid can obviously score as he has shown for AZ and Holland, and he is only a 22 year old in a new team and new league after all. Can we also think about the fact that he was bought as a backup / option and Harry is still our number 1. We don't need this guy to be a 20 goal striker because we already have one!

Absolutely. And IMO he was our best player in first half. He's definitely got something about him.

Another spot on post. If he was contributing nothing & not scoring, then I'd probably be on the "wtf" bandwagon. But while he isn't scoring I don't have an issue if others are & he is creating chances for the team/occupying defenders to allow others to nick goals.
Yes, strikers are there to score - primarily. They also go through lean spells. Like you say, he's a very young lad in a new country, playing for a new team, in a new league. I'm disappointed he isn't scoring left, right & centre but his overall contribution & willingness to get stuck in shows great character. I genuinely think he will be a great signing. Nowhere near time to write him off yet. Comparisons with players like Berbatov don't help. Berbatov was an amazing talent. He also had a habit of being anonymous in games he didn't fancy. Janssen is entirely different. Raw around the edges, but does not hide. And I don't think he ever will. He just needs a goal so badly. Even if it's off his shin or he waves his dick at the ball on the way in

Berbatov joined at the age of 25 (24?) as a fully developed player. He scored a goal and an assist on the second gameweek of the season and then went on a 12 gameweek goal-drought. He was pure class but even he needed his time to get used to the PL. Vincent is still young, full of potential and still deserves some slack. He is not put out there bad performances but something isnt working for him right now. On top of things Son is in form (and on fire) and gets the nod ahead of him. Berbatov also had less than a 10th of the work ethic that our players have now. He performed well against shit teams and went on a 'holiday' in the hard games.

STFU and let us melt

Quite easy to throw around names to prove a point. Crouch was a target man, didn't score many.

Listing off names doesn't really say much of anything. They don't even have the same role. And to say Kane is a target man, dear me. When Kane gets the ball he turns and runs. He doesn't back into a defender and pass it.
A target player is somebody who holds the ball and brings others into play, not somebody who "backs into a defender". Do you think it is wise to take a condescending tone when you have no idea what you are talking about?

A target player is somebody who holds the ball and brings others into play, not somebody who "backs into a defender". Do you think it is wise to take a condescending tone when you have no idea what you are talking about?
This is quite an interesting discussion in itself. What is a target man?
Some will take your view above (I do), some may suggest it's the person you aim for to Score your goals.

This is quite an interesting discussion in itself. What is a target man?
Some will take your view above (I do), some may suggest it's the person you aim for to Score your goals.
When in doubt, ask Zlatan:

"The key is not to lose the ball when you get it. If I’m alone, I try to protect the ball and keep defenders away. That’s important because if I can hold the ball, it gives the team a chance to join me in attack. I’ll hold it until the rest of the other players come into play. As soon as there’s a player in a better position, I’ll give him the ball. Or, I can go for goal myself. That’s sometimes my instinct. I’m an intelligent player and will make the right choice at that moment."

When in doubt, ask Zlatan:

"The key is not to lose the ball when you get it. If I’m alone, I try to protect the ball and keep defenders away. That’s important because if I can hold the ball, it gives the team a chance to join me in attack. I’ll hold it until the rest of the other players come into play. As soon as there’s a player in a better position, I’ll give him the ball. Or, I can go for goal myself. That’s sometimes my instinct. I’m an intelligent player and will make the right choice at that moment."

This coming from a player who has scored 450+ career goal and 4 in his first ever Premier League season.

I'm gonna be The first person to say "told you so" when everyone is saying how good jannsen is this time next season, and "how did we get him so cheap?" and "Poch makes the best signings" etc etc...
And then you can all get back to saying how shit YOU think Lamela is.....

:gio:

Back
Top Bottom