Vincent Janssen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He is getting in really good positions, majority of time his first touch is excellent and for his age his strength seems to be beastly. He is a proper, old fashioned number 9 just lacking in confidence and goals. All he needs is backing from Fans and Poch, and a goal asap in open play. In no time there will be a conundrum on Kane Vs Yanssen starts.
No doubt on your assessment mate. When you lead a class Dutch league in scoring, there is a player in there. I think he really needs a year adjusting as we saw with Lamela and Son in their 1st year. But Kane is the #1 striker for team England and the other fella is not even a certified starter with less than 10 caps. If he falters or fail to score in the next 5 games, more pressure to him so hope he gets his act straight after the Internationals and start banging them in.

I'm sticking up for him here before the usual onslaught...

He made the first goal.

He shud never have been the one to deal with Antonio ffs - that guy has scored more headers than anyone in the Prem in 2016.

And that fabulous chasing down and beating of 4 spammers over on the RHS around 70 mins was worthy of its own gif.

He'll come good if we dont drag his confidence through the floor

Please please no more Janssen. He tries hard and is strong but he literally offers nothing else in an attacking sense. Lets chalk this off as a transfer mistake and move on without dwelling on it. As soon as he went off Kane was a different player. I appreciate Janssen's effort but he clearly is not good enough at present.

Wasn't his best game today at all. Running around like a headless chicken with no purpose and conceded a silly, albeit soft, penalty. I thought his movement today was real poor and that's usually an aspect of his game that gets highlighted and it's usually the midfielders fault for not picking him up.

I'm not surprised we looked better when he went off and ended up scoring two more goals. Kane got more involved too.

now also winks has more goals in open play. did not need so much time to adapt but janssen does for some reason? you say son... didn't take son very long to score, did it? pretenders

Please please no more Janssen. He tries hard and is strong but he literally offers nothing else in an attacking sense. Lets chalk this off as a transfer mistake and move on without dwelling on it. As soon as he went off Kane was a different player. I appreciate Janssen's effort but he clearly is not good enough at present.
You wrote off Lamela and a result today.

So kindly, shush your mouth.

He's an example of a player who needs to play in a slower league and gets completely found out in a faster paced league.

He just seems to constantly be seconds off the pace with his decision making and first touch. He works ridiculously hard though which he has going for him. I don't see him improving his technical ability to the point it needs to get to in this league but I do think he'll stay whilst Pochettino is here because he has great work ethic and Pochettino will admire that as will us fans.

I think he's a great option to come off the bench if needing to get a goal in the last 20 minutes, but if Kane is fit, Janssen should never EVER start.

Vincent Jassen is a poacher, from our track record it seems we don't know how to use this archetype of striker . Like someone has said on here, he is highly dependent on the players behind him, if we get the 'right system' he will score goals but there's no guarantee with that, I think there is a reason players like Lukaku, Benteke ,Bony and co cost in the £30m range. The last two aren't exactly technically gifted but they are somewhat COMPLETE strikers who do not depend so much on formation and link up play. Each time we go for the cheap solution we end up losing money in long run.

I reckon we should stick with him and see what happens, at 22 he is still young. Poch and his back room staff just need to figure out how he can adapt to the league.I mean look at defoe ffs , he scored 18 goals last season.

I still think VJ has great ability. I think the way we play does not play to his strengths. But I imagine he will adapt, my only real concern with him is he could do with more pace. The rest will come in time, I think, under Poch. But confidence matters for strikers, and if he doesn't get lucky one or twice in a row and get some goals then he may struggle with self belief. He is young, much younger than he looks and new country, new team new league etc.

The more I see of Jansen the more I recall the Bobby Zamora days. Both had great records at a lower level, both struggled at the higher level to match the goal return. Zamora worked hard to adapt his game and became one the the best support strikers in the league. But he did that away from the pressure of playing for Spurs, that is the perfect way ahead for Jansen.

He is a good player. He will have a decent ( potentially great ) decade ahead of him, but I can't see it working for him at Spurs, even at this stage he is showning nothing near enough goal threat.

We are playing at the highest level remember. We have to ask is there really an option here for him to develop as he needs to ? I don't think we have that luxury, we should not do. Maybe if we had 3/4 strikers at the club to afford him the time he needs, then great, but we don't, it is not his fault in anyway.

As for how he did today. He was fine, contributed well, worked hard same as usual. The Penalty was soft, but he should not been there and he should not have been pulling anyone. If only the substitution had been made before the first corner, maybe the outcome would have been different. But then in the end it did not matter. So he got out of jail, otherwise he'd be getting pelters

You wrote off Lamela and a result today.

So kindly, shush your mouth.
I think you are getting me confused with someone else? i NEVER wrote off Lamela and actually blamed AVB for his slow start.
As for the result today. I stated Poch got it wrong with the formation and i was correct. We was wayyyy too narrow first half and was 0-1 down. The 2 Kane goals cane from Son coming on (a change of formation) and providing width.

So all in all....

Kindly shush your mouth.

I think you are getting me confused with someone else? i NEVER wrote off Lamela and actually blamed AVB for his slow start.
As for the result today. I stated Poch got it wrong with the formation and i was correct. We was wayyyy too narrow first half and was 0-1 down. The 2 Kane goals cane from Son coming on (a change of formation) and providing width.

So all in all....

Kindly shush your mouth.
So was I correct?

Or you?

I hate this modern fan mentality , I agree Janssen has it all to prove and needs to turn it around but to suggest throwing a 17 million signing on the scrap heap before December is ludicrous , I still think he's a premier league player and he'll forge a career for himself in England , I think he'll justify being a 17 million pound player.

Now Kane is fit he will get less playing time and be taken out of the spotlight. He will be used more to give Kane a rest towards the end of matches. Might allow him to relax and get that all important first goal from open play

Back
Top Bottom