What Should Our Realistic Expectations For This Season Be ?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The only pressure that Poch has on him is what he puts on his own shoulders. If we get top 4 then Levy et al will be happy.

I think that the players will be up for it - they had a taste of Champions league final and that sort of buzz is like a drug so hopefully they can kick on from here.

Can't say personally that I think our chances this season are significantly improved over any of the previous recent seasons - we've always been just behind City and more recently Liverpool and that is still the case to be honest.

Looking forward to putting them under a bit of pressure, sure, but I can't imagine many Spurs fans genuinely think we should be winning the league or CL this season.

FA or League Cup however is very do-able and would be nice at least.

For quite a few seasons now we have praised Poch on the way in which he has somehow managed to progress with the first team despite considerably limited financial and personnel resources. He has been able to create a team spirit and a self belief amongst the players that has defied all odds when compared to many of our major big spending rivals. It is a credit to his management ability and something as a supporter I shall always be grateful for and value highly.

This transfer window Spurs have at last brought in some fresh faces to hopefully take the club over that elusive finishing line to a title or trophy win. Having done so has that in any way put Poch under more pressure this season because the expectations are naturally higher with new additions to the squad ?

Would we regard another top four place and a creditable run in cup competitions but no silverware as acceptable or should we now expect more of Poch ?. Has Levy given him his full backing by bringing in the new guys and if so is he also expecting an improvement upon last season ?

My personal view is that I think this club is capable of matching Liverpool this season and giving them a real fight for second spot. I would certainly expect a top three finish. Cup competitions are unpredictable things (especially with the introduction of VAR) but I feel Poch now has the squad depth to vary formation and team selection to suit the opposition we come up against. There is now an uncertainty for our opponents regarding who they will be facing and that can only increase our chances of success.

I would be genuinely disappointed with a fourth place or lower in the league and am convinced we will be finally able to win some silverware for the new Trophy Cabinet. Should we not achieve top three and/or a trophy win then I would be very interested to hear how Poch would evaluate the season and his reasons (I shall not say excuses) for not doing so.

I think we still need to be realistic about the teams above us and around us. We are still bedding into the new stadium, still have question marks over Jan, Toby and most importantly Christian and don't have the right to say a trophy is an absolute must with us still being the 6th biggest team economically and based on standings the 4th best team in the country.

I do think the time has come to see a bit of silverware coming into the club but if it's top 3 and a final I think that's a fair return. Clearly I want more but realistically 3rd place and a cup would be class. Much will depend on the luck of the draw so I won't get wrapped up in the need for a trophy that much, league is still the priority no matter how much we fancy a parade down the high road,

The only thing for sure I can say about this season is that it would be fucking appalling if we finished below Fat Frank and Chelsea. But if Man Utd or Woolwich get their shit together, it could be a battle to remain in the in the CL places.

To finish in the top 4 would still represent an excellent season. It would only take one year of that shit show that is the Europa League to make you realise this.

Overly dramatic.

He's the best manager we've had in decades.

If we don't win a trophy, we'll just have to evaluate how the season went overall. But on the surface, another season of top four and a good cup run (even if it ends without silverware) would be a good season.

It's incredibly hard to win a trophy - and all teams need help from lady luck along the way (some need more help than others).

One day she will smile on us.

Until that day arrives all we need to do is criticise, moan, gripe, abuse each other and melt, as all genuine supporters should.

Poch out.

Borodin55

Carpe Diem
For quite a few seasons now we have praised Poch on the way in which he has somehow managed to progress with the first team despite considerably limited financial and personnel resources. He has been able to create a team spirit and a self belief amongst the players that has defied all odds when compared to many of our major big spending rivals. It is a credit to his management ability and something as a supporter I shall always be grateful for and value highly.

This transfer window Spurs have at last brought in some fresh faces to hopefully take the club over that elusive finishing line to a title or trophy win. Having done so has that in any way put Poch under more pressure this season because the expectations are naturally higher with new additions to the squad ?

Would we regard another top four place and a creditable run in cup competitions but no silverware as acceptable or should we now expect more of Poch ?. Has Levy given him his full backing by bringing in the new guys and if so is he also expecting an improvement upon last season ?

My personal view is that I think this club is capable of matching Liverpool this season and giving them a real fight for second spot. I would certainly expect a top three finish. Cup competitions are unpredictable things (especially with the introduction of VAR) but I feel Poch now has the squad depth to vary formation and team selection to suit the opposition we come up against. There is now an uncertainty for our opponents regarding who they will be facing and that can only increase our chances of success.

I would be genuinely disappointed with a fourth place or lower in the league and am convinced we will be finally able to win some silverware for the new Trophy Cabinet. Should we not achieve top three and/or a trophy win then I would be very interested to hear how Poch would evaluate the season and his reasons (I shall not say excuses) for not doing so.

One big transfer window doesn’t change everything, City are still far stronger than us and Liverpool are still stronger probably overall.

We are better than Woolwich and United on paper but not by a large margin and we still have to intergrate our new signings properly which could take a quarter of a season.

Therefore if we win the league it would be an unbelievable achievement. However now that we have more than a bare bones squad I do expect us to give all the cup competitions a good go when perhaps it was hard in the past.

We should certainly be getting top 4, unless we get the worst injury luck.

Sorry but what the fuck is this shit? The season has barely begun and some people are talking about trophies and what constitutes a good season.

FFS, chill my fellow Yids. We haven't even entered either domestic cup yet nor had the draw for the CL group stage. It's too early to start worrying about such things.

Poch has done an unbelievable job and we're incredibly lucky to have him. The man just oozes class and is easily the best manager we have had in my lifetime.

A trophy would be nice but I just want us to play good football, win lots of matches and finish as high as possible in the league. Fuck knows we may win the treble this season or nowt again, right now though nothing has been decided and everything is possible.

Let's just focus on Citeh tomorrow and hope that we play with confidence, intelligence and no little bravery and give them a bloody hard game.

COYS

Had we got Dybala and a right back over the line I would say we have to go toe to toe with city and win the title.

If we have a decent injury record this year I would still say we need to aim to be as close as possible to them and hope Lady Luck is on our side to the same end.

As it is being realistic, anything below 3rd and a domestic cup will be disappointing. However I will not be calling for poch’s head if we don’t win something, I still have faith this team of his will come good.

Any sort of noticeable change in our mental approach to big games would be nice. Today at 5:30 will be an indicator of if the CL final loss has changed us for the better.

If we panic and concede with in the first 15 minutes like we do against most elite opposition over the past few years, then I myself will start to ask questions. I don’t know if fingers should be pointed at the players, or Poch or maybe even us fans have something to do with it.

However I will not be campaigning negativity or calling for an individuals head. I will just want to target the problem and deal with it.

We have to start thinking big now, a loss against an elite team is fine, a panicky self inflicted early goal conceded is not.

The other thing I'll add is that having gotten ourselves into Pot 2 in the CL is a big deal. It makes a meaningful impact in our ability to get out of the group stages. We need to continue having enough success to maintain pot 2 status for the years to come. In that way, CL success breeds more CL success.

In the past he has said he doesn’t want the domestics and the PL and CL is all that matters.

He has called us title challengers, and spoken about joining the elite and winning trophies.

When the chips are down, he’s says we are just making up the numbers and we can’t compete.

This summer he went back and basically said we would be going strong in the domestics.

6th year and 4th is not enough. We need a trophy.....and before you disagree that last bit is his own words.

So no. No excuses for me.....you have teams doing shit and finishing 6th and 5th yet still winning trophies in Europe and the FA Cup and Carabou etc.

With Liverpool winning the CL, we are now the only top six team who has won fuck all in the last ten years. We can’t just be an eternal work in progress.

It's incredibly hard to win a trophy - and all teams need help from lady luck along the way (some need more help than others).

One day she will smile on us.

Until that day arrives all we need to do is criticise, moan, gripe, abuse each other and melt, as all genuine supporters should.

Poch out.
Sarnie thieves out too

In the real world, finishing top four is a successful season. Of course, I would like to win a trophy, but not at the expense of missing out on CL. Ledley made valid points about how difficult it is, when one club made a clean sweep of all the domestic titles last season, and I bet that not many people will be surprised if they do it again.
It takes about a decade of CL football to reap the benefits, even then, we won't match the income of the Manchester clubs.
I'm content with challenging for the EPL and a decent run in the CL. If that makes me lacking in ambition, so be it.

4th and CL on a regular basis was what we craved little under 3 seasons ago we'd have gave anything for what the goons had what's wrong with it now?

Really that’s news to me? Funny because I seem to recall our supporter base mocking Wengers top 4 is a trophy obsession but seemingly the situation is different when it is us somehow.

The CL is the biggest con of the modern era - it’s deluded a whole generation of supporters into believing it’s the gate way to the elite and that domestic cup tournaments no longer matter.

Why create a thread whose only purpose is to create a negative feedback? If you wanted a discussion thread on what is a realistic target then say that ... heading it with "No Excuses" that's just lame ...

City have spent 800m more than us on building their squad ... we have no right to beat them in any competition and unfortunately they're in all the same ones as us ... it's like asking a Porsche GTRS to beat a Bugatti Veyron, fast as the Porsche is and as good as the driver might be, something would need to go wrong with Veyron for the Porsche to have any realistic chance ....

If Poch gets us top three and some decent cup action ... what more can we reasonably expect?

Excuse is of course the wrong word. At the end of the season it is right to evaluate the reasons for not winning a trophy.

Last season we were hit with unexpected injuries to first team choices in Alli, Kane, Jan, Dier and Aurier. Lamela, Wanyama also out but you could argue that it was 'expected'.

Also we unexpectedly did much better in the champions league. This diverted attention away from the EPL since our heads dropped after the Burnley game.

You could argue that the failure last season was the inability to motivate the players to perform in the EPL towards the end of the season.

Bar Alli, it seems the squad is currently fit - with Wanyama, Aurier due back shortly and Foyth not far away. The key will be to evaluate our position come January and; if we are still in with a chance at EPL and ECL - we can spend.

Our players were exhausted at the end of the season. We had no depth. Couldn’t reasonably expect them to go balls to the wall for every game at the end of the season.

City have spent 800m more than us on building their squad ... we have no right to beat them in any competition and unfortunately they're in all the same ones as us ... it's like asking a Porsche GTRS to beat a Bugatti Veyron

City spent vastly more than Liverpool and yet the latter won the CL and the former did not.

How have United and Woolwich managed to win league cups and FA cups in recent years in the face of such spending?

You’re playing the game out on the balance sheet when what actually matters is the players on the pitch.

To say we have no right to beat them when we have been one of the best sides in the league for the last 5 years and have one of the most valuable squads in world football is an absolutely ludicrous statement to make.

A team containing Kane, Eriksen, Son, Ali, Vertonghen, Alderwield to name a few has no right to beat such a side? Seriously get out and stop trying to make out we are on the level of Wigan or Portsmouth.

We could have the Brazil ‘70 World Cup team playing for us and yet you would still be arguing that we cannot compete because of revenue.

Back
Top Bottom