What Should Our Realistic Expectations For This Season Be ?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm always disappointed when we don't win a trophy, we've been capable of winning trophies since Jol at various times. The soul focus from the top though as been the top 4 because that makes money. That attitude filters down to Poch which in turn filters down to the players and that in turn filters down to fans. Finishing top 4 is great but it's not a trophy, it is an opportunity to enter a competition where we can win a trophy..
I think winning 3 trophies in a decade is one that is achievable , we should have done that by now.

In the real world, finishing top four is a successful season. Of course, I would like to win a trophy, but not at the expense of missing out on CL. Ledley made valid points about how difficult it is, when one club made a clean sweep of all the domestic titles last season, and I bet that not many people will be surprised if they do it again.
It takes about a decade of CL football to reap the benefits, even then, we won't match the income of the Manchester clubs.
I'm content with challenging for the EPL and a decent run in the CL. If that makes me lacking in ambition, so be it.
City win the domestics because they are hungry for silverware....all silverware.

I think that plays the biggest part. If we took the FA Cup seriously, we would win it, and I dont see why it has to be at top 4s expense.

We could very realistically be champions of Europe right now with top 4, so I think winning a Carabou should be doable.

This is football, anyone who's a genuine supporter knows that you can't have expectations in the sport because anything can happen, that's part of the fun. As fans we should have hopes and dreams, but not expectations.

Personally I'm not of the mindset that Poch has to prove himself or achieve something within a certain timeframe. He just has to do the best his can with the resources we have available. I'll be incredibly disappointed if we don't get top 4 and have a good run in the CL, but I won't hold it against anyone at the club. I'd love a domestic cup or two soon as well, but not at the expense of the PL or CL.

Whilst we have improved the squad this summer, we are still weak in defence so I don't think we're ready yet to be winning the league or CL. I think we're only, a season or two away from that and I'd prefer Poch stay with us for the next few years to hopefully see us through that.

I also genuinely believe that we can't get anyone better at the moment. I think if we hold targets against him then let him go we're going to be shooting ourselves in the foot and unsettle the club. We risk putting ourselves into a downward spiral. I'd rather give Poch more time than risk that.

We are capable of winning a cup and finishing top 4(at least).
But that doesn't give us a divine right to do so,nor is it a guarantee we will.
That's down to all the players turning up for every game.All those semis we lost was probably down to bottling it.But the final in June was lack of hunger imho.I got the impression that all, but 2 outfield players thought they had done enough just getting there.As a fan that is not acceptable.
I would rather have been totally outplayed (we weren't), but showing guts and effort than having to watch our lot going through the motions.
That has change if we are to win cups.

And what next year? And the year after that?
We aren’t Everton.

This clubs aim is to join the elite. That is our target, and to do that we need to win stuff. It really is that simple.

Winning stuff is the outcome, not the process. Winners = The Elite.

I don’t think Poch should be sacked

Then what are you so vehemently rallying towards/against?

It is what it is....Poch is a good manager and he will get there in the end.
But don’t sit there and tell me no one else could have won something with this squad by now.

Maybe Simeone would have got the CL over the line last year, but by the same token, who's to say the same players who 'bottled' it under Poch wouldn't have bottled it under DS?

It's not like you haven't currently got beef with Eriksen, Dele and a such afterall. Haven't you condoned dropping the stars and playing the kids on numerous occasions of over last season?

As I already said both in my prev post and directly above... Fuck what others think for a moment (and comments about Everton), what are YOU driving towards here?

It's easy to shout from the roof top that we "should" have won a trophy, but "should" is a pretty hollow concept when it comes down to it.....

How are we (you) gonna ENSURE it happens, mate?

(Pls don't cast me as just another nemesis... I have time for your opinion.... Chill and have the discussion with me.)

Last edited:
The main issue with the Goons comparison is of momentum.....

They won the league 98, 02, 04.... CL Final 06, new stadium..... then it was all about top 4 and paying the bills.

They went from title winners to top 4 “winners”.

We went from nowhere, to top 6, to top 4.... whilst building the stadium.... so our few years of top 4 stability have come from upward momentum whereas there’s was downward momentum......

But we never got to the summit, they did.

So we have to keep aiming high.

I agree and think we will maybe finish 2nd and give Shitty a fright

At least semis in CL

Another good season of over achieving thanks to Poch

Let’s fuck up Shitty on Saturday
COYS

Villa spent 150M so I don't think us spending even less than that means much more pressure.

Whilst City remains a toy of the sheik we can just do what we can to play some good football and have a little fun along the way. It is what it is.

Looking forward to plenty of highs and lows this season. Perhaps with a good crack at a domestic cup for a change.

It would be an absolute travesty for a squad of such talent to walk away few sasons later having won nothing. I think it would also be a massive hunch off Poch's back to break his duck and the trophies would roll in, imv. That first one would be special - mind you.

This is the most talented, balanced and 'deep' squad we've had bar RB since he's arrived - no excuses now for the domestic cups even

City win the domestics because they are hungry for silverware....all silverware.

I think that plays the biggest part. If we took the FA Cup seriously, we would win it, and I dont see why it has to be at top 4s expense.

We could very realistically be champions of Europe right now with top 4, so I think winning a Carabou should be doable.
City win siverware because their second 11 are capable of beating most, if not all, Premier League club first teams, hell even their 3rd 11 would give teams a good game. That's why they will win the league again and that's why they will probably win both domestic cups again. Maybe even the Champions League as ell, who knows?
That's what being owned by a corrupt oil rich country with an endless supply of laundered money can do for a club.

City won the FA cup because they played:

Rotherham United
Burnley
Newport County (away)
Swansea City (away)
Brighton
Watford

That was the biggest part, not "hunger" or "desire" or whatever moronic punditry the media spouts every year.

We haven't even played a single domestic cup game at this point. Save the whining for when we get knocked out at the very least!

FFS.

But yeah, if we finish Top 4 but win nowt I'll be outside The Lane waving "Levy Out" and "Go Home Poch" placards alongside anyone else that thinks he's no longer fit to be our manager.

Satisfied?!

Moaning about something before it's even happened, fucking weirdos.

Who started this stupid thread in the first place? Shame on you mate, shame on you.

The thread was to find out what everyone's expectations were for this season with the new influx of players. Read the thread starter again in which I said :

My personal view is that I think this club is capable of matching Liverpool this season and giving them a real fight for second spot. I would certainly expect a top three finish .
I would be genuinely disappointed with a fourth place or lower in the league and am convinced we will be finally able to win some silverware for the new Trophy Cabinet.

Now kindly explain to me how that is in any way moaning or being negative ??. Shame on you for not understanding the context of the thread and using what you perceive as negative comments on here as directly attributable to me for asking the question. It only becomes a 'stupid' thread when it receives 'stupid' posts such as yours.

The thread was to find out what everyone's expectations were for this season with the new influx of players. Read the thread starter again in which I said :

My personal view is that I think this club is capable of matching Liverpool this season and giving them a real fight for second spot. I would certainly expect a top three finish .
I would be genuinely disappointed with a fourth place or lower in the league and am convinced we will be finally able to win some silverware for the new Trophy Cabinet.

Now kindly explain to me how that is in any way moaning or being negative ??. Shame on you for not understanding the context of the thread and using what you perceive as negative comments on here as directly attributable to me for asking the question. It only becomes a 'stupid' thread when it receives 'stupid' posts such as yours.

It's mainly the "no excuses" tag-line that peeps are reacting to, mate...

We typically have an aims & expectations thread at the beginning of every season; just not framed in such a way.

I don’t care about what our supporters wear or how they talk - I look for if there is any merit in what they say.

Kroenke has been a disaster for Woolwich, Wenger stayed on far longer than he should. Everyone could see that - it’s why none of us want Kroenke to go. If we had a club owner like that I would fully expect the supporter base to air their grievances and I wouldn’t sneer at our supporters from certain backgrounds with a pretentious middle class lense like you do.

But you’re a model supporter aren’t you? I’m getting this wrong - I thought the supporters were the custodians of the club whose job is to hold the people in charge to account. Silly me I have got it all wrong - it’s all about giving blind support and having no expectations.

Yes, I'm sneering at you and not at all pointing out that you're a miserable git looking to point the finger at the first opportunity like some entitled manchild.

Back
Top Bottom