What stat means we are not really top of the league this week

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If its looking close come May we are going to have to put a security team on our club chef 24/7 in case they try and lasagne us again.

Spying Conspiracy Theory GIF by DrSquatchSoapCo
I’m prepared to eat any incoming lasagne sent Tottenham’s way.

Apparently we're shit because we win games we should vs bottom half, and got lucky in the others.

Morons probably don't realise if you beat the bottom half home and away that's 60 points with 18 games in hand against the top half, of which we have already secured 11 points with 13 games remaining.

It amuses me increasingly each week the squirming rivals are doing to justify this is merely par for course.

Just spent half hour in Mania . Informative.
Bunch load of was of making 2+ 2 equal anything but 4. Strenghth of opposition table/xg x some bollocks giving a scientific reasoning as to why the scum are actually top/ opposition chanches conceded. Confusing. Ill pop over to the gponer neighbour later for a more detailed analysis.

They also are realising just how good Undoggie, Van and Vic are. Saying they are pissed cos we didnt stump up for Rayna🤣🤣🤣

Bunch load of was of making 2+ 2 equal anything but 4. Strenghth of opposition table/xg x some bollocks giving a scientific reasoning as to why the scum are actually top/ opposition chanches conceded. Confusing. Ill pop over to the gponer neighbour later for a more detailed analysis.

They also are realising just how good Undoggie, Van and Vic are. Saying they are pissed cos we didnt stump up for Rayna🤣🤣🤣
This one?

“Saw a "strength of schedule" table that ranks teams based on the winning percentage of all the teams they've played and Sp**s were at the bottom. Their opponents had a combined 44% win rate.”

The level of obsession and mental gymnastics required…

Relegation fears:

This one?

“Saw a "strength of schedule" table that ranks teams based on the winning percentage of all the teams they've played and Sp**s were at the bottom. Their opponents had a combined 44% win rate.”

The level of obsession and mental gymnastics required…

Relegation fears:
My head hurts

Likely.

Table is :

1. Aston Villa +14 - 12pts
2. Newcastle +10 - 12pts
3. Liverpool +9 - 12pts
4. Man City +8 - 12pts
5. Tottenham +6 - 12pts

Villa scoring 17 goals in 4 homes is quite frankly ridiculous.

We are of course top of the away section though.
Newcastle got 9 of that +10 in 2 games.
Villa scored 6 in one game V Brighton + 2 x 4 goal hauls against Spam and Everton

Looking at the games, it does feel like we've had tougher defences to play against. United, Sheff United playing like cunts, 9 man Liverpool clinging on for dear life and a weird game last night where we gave up at HT

Apparently we are bottom of the league of relative performance index.

What really matters is the relative expected performance field tilt index.

Once that data is in we can start to talk about real league poaition rather than trivial "points".

Stop enjoying yourselves for now anyway is the only thing which can currently be confirmed. Liverpool and Woolwich fans told me so.

Once that data is in we can start to talk about real league poaition rather than trivial "points".

Stop enjoying yourselves for now anyway is the only thing which can currently be confirmed. Liverpool and Woolwich fans told me so.
Liverpool and Woolwich fans can go fuck themselves.

Liverpool and their crying about decisions when they had more that their fair share of questionable decisions this season alone and Woolwich moaning about that penalty against Chelsea when they were gifted one against us.

Every team has had a penalty this season except us. And we have had a couple of suspect ones awarded against us. Cunts.

Podcast What GIF by Washed Media

Ask them if they’d beat City with KDB and Rodri…

From Liverpool reddit. I think this guy is just plain taking the piss out of them.

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/LiverpoolFC/s/oAgMDpTll4

I love making stupid stats and alternate tables.

So, I wanted to work out a way to give an idea of how good a team is partway through a season by comparing their actual points against "expected points relative to the table of opposition in the fixtures you have played", ~~henceforth referred to as xPrtttooitfyhp~~.

I worked out the average number of points won against each position on the table both home and away over the last five seasons. The work out as follows:

**Average points won against each table position Away:**

|AVG
:-:|:-:
1 |0.32
2 |0.47
3 |0.68
4 |0.85
5 |0.79
6 |0.89
7 |1.01
8 |1.02
9 |1.18
10 |1.38
11 |1.38
12 |1.32
13 |1.43
14 |1.42
15 |1.51
16 |1.38
17 |1.66
18 |1.81
19 |1.80
20 |2.18

**Average points won against each table position at Home:**

|AVG
1 |1.12
2 |1.08
3 |1.35
4 |1.41
5 |1.56
6 |1.48
7 |1.49
8 |1.54
9 |1.42
10 |1.64
11 |1.64
12 |1.76
13 |1.75
14 |2.04
15 |1.82
16 |1.94
17 |1.80
18 |1.92
19 |2.23
20 |2.35

So, using this we can get an idea of fixture difficulty by working out what an average Premier League team would get in the fixtures each team has played.

**Points an average team would have won according to fixtures played in 23/24:**

|Pts
Tottenham Hotspur |14.4
Chelsea |14.2
Everton |14.1
Manchester United |13.7
Manchester City |13.7
Brentford |13.7
Newcastle United |13.4
Woolwich |13.2
Nottingham Forest |13.0
Crystal Palace |13.0
Luton Town |12.9
Wolverhampton Wanderers |12.8
Aston Villa |12.7
West Ham United |12.7
Burnley |12.4
Sheffield United |12.1
Fulham |12.1
Liverpool |12.1
Bournemouth |11.9
Brighton & Hove Albion |11.9

And finally,

**How much better are each team performing compared to this average:**

||Pts
:-:|:-:|:-:
1|Tottenham Hotspur |8.6
2|Liverpool |7.9
3|Woolwich |7.8
4|Manchester City |7.3
5|Aston Villa |6.3
6|Brighton & Hove Albion |4.1
7|Newcastle United |2.6
8|West Ham United |1.3
9|Manchester United |1.3
10|Crystal Palace |-1.0
11|Fulham |-1.1
12|Wolverhampton Wanderers |-1.8
13|Chelsea |-2.2
14|Nottingham Forest |-3.0
15|Brentford |-3.7
16|Everton |-7.1
17|Luton Town |-7.9
18|Burnley |-8.4
19|Bournemouth |-8.9
20|Sheffield United |-11.1

So, Tottenham are actually doing well, but we are in second and *that* game could have changed the outlook completely.

I stopped using/thinking Spursy when Poch got us where he got us. He did transform our club and I don’t see why some fans, even now, want to hang onto it. Bad luck does happen to all clubs from time to time and will carry on with us too. We had more than our fair share perhaps but we are a big club now and have been for years, and we again have a great manager and good reason to think we will achieve under him so I suggest its time to drop the Spursy bs. It risks holding ua back as a club. Otherwise, good video. My comment is aimed at those who put the video together not anyone else specifically. It’s true that not having a manager who is a bellend is the biggest think that makes Spurs fans happy.

Back
Top Bottom