What would you do if you were manager of the current squad?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Given we don't qualify for Europe, our budget will be restricted so

Time to reform ?

This could mean selling Kane and Son, getting a new type of manager like Scottie Parker

Sell Bale etc and buy some hungry youngsters who want to play.

Time to reform ?

This could mean selling Kane and Son, getting a new type of manager like Scottie Parker

I don’t think we can give up all the quality of Kane, Bale and Son in one window. You still need a reserve of quality even if we are going back to tough players and hard workers.

I love Lloris as well and think he has been one of the top players to play for the club, but he is 34 years old and we are a team that is likely, at best two seasons away from the CL. It would be crazy of us to not start looking for his replacement.

It doesn't mean he sucks, it doesn't mean we don't appreciate what he has done for the club, if fact I would say one of the reasons that he should be moved sooner is that he still has value so if we move him it can help fund the purchase of his replacement.

We may take a downgrade immediately, but we need to look at a 5 year projection and how we can best serve the club.

For me what seems to be ideal is a potential Areola-Lloris swap with PSG. I say this because it helps with the financial aspects that are a concern with Covid.
Big Pat played until he was 40 with no massive drop in standards, 34 is no problem for a Goalie.

Big Pat played until he was 40 with no massive drop in standards, 34 is no problem for a Goalie.

Just because one guy did it doesn't mean that others can.

What are the ages of the top keepers in the world right now?

Are any of them 35+?

The closest is Neuer.

Much better to move on one year early than one year late, because then we are left with a poor keeper who is worth nothing. We need to replace the keeper and have no money to do so.

Time to reform ?

Bale isnt ours to sell. Apart from 2 weeks hes been shit. Esp when it mattered against Woolwich.
Totally agree with the young and hungry philosophy. Even our own youngsters

My first actions as interim manager will cause an uproar but they will get back some order about the place.

6 am on the dot

Give Doc gardening leave immediately to wait for the next window, send Winks to the U-23 to get fit for mid table, or championship, or Valencia or whoever is interested, recall Skipp immediately (fuck Norwich - we need our man back now to partner with PEH) - it’ll feel like a new signing, introduce Scarlett at half time of the next match, and start him in the next 9 until the end of season, Give Dele assurances of giving him his move to PSG and ask him to play a role from the bench like Christian before he left for Inter, Make Tanganga the first choice RB - for better for worse, Sissoko to remain in the team only as Tanguy’s chaperone & to keep Aurier from influencing him negatively - no more “French clique” would be tolerated, Loris to enforce, offer Dier to Fulham for Anderson + *Scott Parker at the end of the season, Play 3 at the back for the rest of the season: Sanchez Toby Rodon - every game, no matter what, bin the new-tactics-for-every-game approach - play our way win lose or draw.

*see next manager thread for details.

I don’t think we can give up all the quality of Kane, Bale and Son in one window. You still need a reserve of quality even if we are going back to tough players and hard workers.
Kane will not stay for another year and Son's contract is nearly up so you may not get a choice.
Kane will go to City or PGS, Son to Bayern.
Why would they stay for this ?

Well...

Play a midfield 3 so we can actually dominate games. I'd play Hojbjerg Ndombele Lo Celso. Not a 4-2-3-1 with one at CAM but a pure 3 so we can actually take control and outnumber teams.
Stop playing players that don't deserve to play
Stick to a starting 11 and keep to that in general.
Find a settled back 4 and maybe that isn't Sanchez/Alderweireld at CB.

Anyone who has read some of my previous posts will know I’m no fan of Mourinho’s but nobody can argue with his achievements in the game over the past 20 years.

For me personally I’m so disappointed with Mourinho’s under usage of Steve Bergwijn and Carlos Vinicius I would play them both a lot between now and the end of the season to have a better idea in what direction we might be heading in come next season.

They are both worldies who need game time and could be every inch as good as Mane/ Salah.
I can't say I remember ever coming across your 70 odd posts before, I think I know why...

Last edited:
1: Identity the 5-8 first teamers to be sold. Stop playing them. Stop having them in the first team.

2: Promote 5-8 best young players to first team, if some of the best loanees can be recalled, do so. E.g. Skipp.

3: Focus on integrating the best yong players and

4) generally Spurs being a good place to play. If just one of our top players like Kane or Son can be persuaded for another season, then it's worth it

It's hard to say what the right thing for the manager to do is when we don't know what's going on behind the scenes.
It doesn't take much for confidence and morale to be sky high, or slump to nothing.

I seem to remember when Poch arrived there was some kind of negative French speaking clique which he quickly got rid of based around captain Kaboul. Perhaps there is something like that going on again.

Ultimately we have shite defensive options, a couple of midfielders we can't afford to rotate, and some top class forwards we also struggle when rotating.

How do you make the bench players fight and challenge for a place in the team? It's hard to say but I get the impression some players have given up on getting much game time and simply aren't fighting for it, waiting for what they think will be an inevitable move to another club or a replacement manager comes in.
This is down to Mourinho I think and how he motivates (or not) players outside the starting 11. The idea he has a favourite 11 that matter, then ignore everyone else is very believable.

I fear players like Bale, Dele, Sissoko, Winks, Aurier aren't happy with their game time, confide in each other, and develop a toxic situation where player happiness is coming before the teams performances.
So for me the players and manager are equally responsible. A new manager offers fresh hope to all these afterthought players and would expect an immediate up turn in performances.

Players that have just been ignored for international selection are now likely to miss the Euros. I'm sure a few of the lads playing last night were gutted to not be called up, and Winks for one will know that his Europa League performances simply aren't enough for Southgate to pick him - so threw in the towel.

So if I were a new manager coming in it would be a different situation to being the manager for the past year or so. If I were the current manager, I would probably be looking to regain the trust and fight of the 'backup' players which can only really be done by giving them games.
Sounds counter productive to play our worst players that haven't been performing though doesn't it..
Stop buying French players

1. Switch to a 343 and stick with it the rest of the season.
Lloris
Tanganga Toby Rodon
Aurier Ndombele Hojbjerg Reguilon
Lucas Kane Son

Keep Dele, Sanchez, Davies, Bergwijn, Lamela, Scarlett, Devine ready to be subs.

2. Send Bale back to Madrid. Drop Dier, Winks, Sissoko to the U23's.
3. Call up Skipp and Sessegnon telling them they are first-teamers next year and to be prepared.
4. Talk to Kane, Lloris, and Son. Ask them if they are committed to our new plans or if they want out. No hard feelings if they want out, we will use the funds. If they are committed to us using youth then great.
5. Look for a new RB and CB to purchase this summer.

Back
Top Bottom