Whats gone wrong?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Poch's not up to it / Years of under investment

• Poch not up to it

• Years of under investment

Results are only viewable after voting.
I think one has probably affected the other.

Going a year and a half with no new players or investment is the root cause.
It was half way through this period, after the January window slammed shut, our form started to collapse.
No new players, no new faces.: For the 2nd successive window. What kind of message does that send to the players. Why would the likes of Toby and Christian see their futures at a club prepared to neglect the team in such a shameful manner.

It's inevitably going to lead to a complacency, a lethargy and a lack of motivation amongst the players.
If the people at the top ain't bothered, why should we be?

It was during the fruitless 2018 window that cracks started to become more and more apparent in the working relationship between Poch and Levy.
If any manager had earned maximum backing from his chairman, it was Poch.
He got nothing! It was nothing short of a humiliation for him.
After claiming week after week that we needed to be brave, start acting like a big club, stop trying to win stuff on the cheap he had his pants pulled down by his boss .

It's clear to anyone with an ounce of sensibility the relationship has never recovered and neither has the attitude of complacency on the pitch.

The root cause of our alarming slump has to be our unprecedented period of zero investment. And deep down, although most of you will never admit it, you know that's the reality
I'm afraid that some will never admit it

We lost but we had 80% possession made over 800 passes so hardly "shit" football ... in fact only one team in over 7,000 EPL games has ever lost with more dominant numbers ...

That's not excusing the performance we were about as creative as a rap star, but the only "shit" bit was the lack of goals ... our keeper made one save, our defence allowed just three shots on goal ... even our midfield dominated possession so all that football was good ... but in the final third we created almost nothing

Not sure what the issues are confidence, system, talent but something isn't working ... sure we lost but if you think we played shit football you'd be wrong, we totally dominated 80% of the pitch we just didn't score ...

The failure to score is of course a massive problem no goals no points ... it's the lack of creativity that is the issue ... but to say we play shit football? well that's your valid opinion it's making things very black and white ...
We had 2 shots on goal though, playing boring sideways football! It’s frustrating football to watch as a spurs fan and a ST holder

The root cause of our alarming slump has to be our unprecedented period of zero investment. And deep down, although most of you will never admit it, you know that's the reality

Apart from the 800 million that will provide future generations of Spurs fans the opportunity to support a club with a rock solid financial foundation behind it ... or did you miss that?

But what the feck would JT know about long term thinking ... feck he can't even remember that the team broken from the "fruitless 2018 window where cracks started to become more and more apparent in the working relationship between Poch and Levy" ... got to the CL Final for the first time in our club's history ...

But then JT has always been a negative troll so what's new? JT dumb as a post, pretty sure we will all admit that ... zero investment oh dear what a daft comment .....

Last edited:
I still have faith in Poch, but EVERYONE from himself down to the playing staff look just complacent.
What about looking at Poch himself UPWARDS to the boardroom?

Surely investing £0 in the squad fot a year and a half shows terrible complacency?
Why do they always get a free pass?

And the rot that started at the top , once infiltrated to the bottom, becomes pretty difficult to manage.

Poch's already on the slippery pole to his exit. The pole was greased up for him in the summer of 2018

We had 2 shots on goal though, playing boring sideways football! It’s frustrating football to watch as a spurs fan and a ST holder
What is the point of having record possession but are unable to do anything with it just like the CL final we had more than Liverpool but never looked like scoring if the game had lasted another month pointless.

Very noticeable by their absence yesterday.
This thread was the perfect platform for both sides of the argument, as the closeness of the result suggests.

Nah they run a mile because they can see now why a few of us continually talked of refreshing the squad last season and more quickly this summer.

There are maybe numerous issues but mostly for me it's the same players who are hearing the same voice. It's why you change things routinely. All seem tired of saying and hearing the same thing.

If Sessegnon, Lo Celso and Ndombele can get up to speed and push hard and quickly then they will provide zest.

But for me and I maintain it, Rose being at the club and playing is a shocker and his lack of respect should have meant adios. The rot started then. Add to that the strangeness over Alderweireld and now Eriksen and you see a situation where this so called great man manager has players who want to move on.

And no alternative striker is MADNESS. The first thing any new manager would bring into the club.

It's incongruent.

I don’t think the choice is as simple as the one in the poll, the signs were there last season that we had reached the end of the road with this squad. The “Dembele” era with Kane, Dele and Son as hot youngsters is over. Some of our key players have suddenly declined and our play has stagnated.

Poch was warning us a long time ago that we needed a painful rebuild and I guess that’s what we are going through now. We need to find a new way to play that focuses on Ndombele and Lo Celso, right now because of injuries/lack of preparation we are still fielding a stale team that has lost its edge. Our form is just a continuation of last season. We need to be calm and wait for our new players to start really settle so we can build the team around them.

This is the same type of performance we’ve been serving up for months, having 70% of sterile possession and playing like slugs from the first minute. We need to start getting players like Skipp and Parrott more involved, they will have the hunger that our seniors have lost.

I think is very odd that so many supporters have been accepting of his attitude towards the cups and 0 trophies in five seasons (despite having one of the leagues best sides) but a defeat against Newcastle and turgid is the point they turn.

I think is very odd that so many supporters have been accepting of his attitude towards the cups and 0 trophies in five seasons (despite having one of the leagues best sides) but a defeat against Newcastle and turgid is the point they turn.
Oh most definately . They're turning on Poch all right.
Just as I and others predicted back in the Summer of 2018.

When the complacency and negligence at the top of the club inevitably filters down to performances on the pitch there's only one man the fans will turn their venom on.

And he ain't 5ft 2" with a shiny bald head.

A lot of suggestions that we could't create chances.. for me there were 4 or 5 big chances that could / should have been taken.
It was poor finishing that cost us. From Kane and Moura mostly.
Score 1 of them and we likely do what we did against Villa.

I fear there may be a dressing room divide of sorts.
Possibly those on the side of Eriksen, and those on the side of Poch or Kane maybe - Jan taking the side of his old mate.
When Eriksen comes on, I think you can see how the players look to him for guidance and creation. They want to get the ball to him.
Quite a few times yesterday Kane was coming deep, almost looking like a central midfielder at times from his positions, but we still had 3 forwards bunched up on the back line in front of him.
Problem seemed to be every time Kane came deep to collect the ball and get involved, the ball was immediately lumped up to the players in front. When Kane was at the front (surrounded by defenders) the ball went to those deeper positions.
I don't know if that's Kane just reading the game wrong - but I do wonder if the players have a bit of "fuck passing to him" about them right now. They certainly don't have that attitude with Eriksen.

Touches yesterday
Kane 24
Lo Celso 20
Eriksen 52

Eriksen and Lo Celso both came on in the 62nd minute.

As much as I love Poch, it's his job to sort shit like that out behind the scenes.
Don't care if Jan is lacking fitness levels - we are a better side with him in the team. Most consistent player over years, and drags the levels up of the defenders alongside him. If there's some fall out / disagreement or something going on - it's Poch's job to sort it out. I don't believe he is too unfit as to not benefit the team by playing.

It’s not this one game, it’s our horrible form since last March. We’ve won 4 of the last 15 games or something like that and haven’t won away in 9 matches. Our form has fallen off a cliff.

We still haven't worked out how to beat a team that plays a row of 5 defenders and a row of 5 midfielders.
If you get lucky,you get an early goal and the opposition has to come out and attack you.
We could have been there a month yesterday and not scored.
Newcastle got a break and scored.
We always struggle when teams set up against like this.We should have learnt to deal with it by now.

Back
Top Bottom