Where did this season go wrong?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Injuries, poor long term recruitment, and poor individual performances all played their part. However, there are countless examples of teams achieving way more than the sum of their parts with the right spirit and belief.

Personally, I think players, owners and fans went in to this season with inflated expectations following the miraculous end to last season. If your manager is an absolute slave driver, but you get great, unexpected results, most players would still run through fire for them. When those results dried up, they got tired of it all pretty quickly. Add to that Conte's inability to personally commit, ridgitty and his habit of throwing the team under the bus, and you quickly go from being a fully paid up cult member to a mutineer.

Now the problem is different; lack of long term planning has come home to roost with no clear path for life after Conte and Paratici. We're all drifting, and the season can't end soon enough.

As for the centre back argument are we really trying to say there wasnt a single centre back in the world market that could have moved Davies or Dier to the bench? The lets wait for Gvardiol or Bastoni next summer argument looks pretty daft right now. I get not signing either of them, they didnt want to go but i fail to see how it was impossible to improve in that department and we didnt.
What gets me is when we play teams that just come to defend or park the bus whilst they do so in numbers, the CB's who are usually unsophisticated non international stars defend like demons and yet our CB's crumble as soon as they are put under pressure. When we bought Rodon, I thought he might be in that mould but he was never given a chance and probably never will. The only good CB we have is Romero.

What gets me is when we play teams that just come to defend or park the bus whilst they do so in numbers, the CB's who are usually unsophisticated non international stars defend like demons and yet our CB's crumble as soon as they are put under pressure. When we bought Rodon, I thought he might be in that mould but he was never given a chance and probably never will. The only good CB we have is Romero.

Romero is good at some things sometimes. For me he is not good enough across all aspects or consistent enough to be labelled as....good.

Yes what we need is a Todd Boehly to spend £600m on the squad. I'm told Chelsea fans and players will be happy to see the back of him already
Daft argument that. Give a progressive manager with a well thought out plan £600m to spend carefully recruiting specific players to fulfill that plan and Spurs will be in a much better space. The problem with Chelsea’s approach is that they don’t seem to have had much of a plan and the signings seem to have been very scatter gun in nature overseen by Boehly who doesn’t seem to know much about football. There is no way that City and Abramovich’s Chelsea would be anywhere near as successful without money.

Daft argument that. Give a progressive manager with a well thought out plan £600m to spend carefully recruiting specific players to fulfill that plan and Spurs will be in a much better space. The problem with Chelsea’s approach is that they don’t seem to have had much of a plan and the signings seem to have been very scatter gun in nature overseen by Boehly who doesn’t seem to know much about football. There is no way that City and Abramovich’s Chelsea would be anywhere near as successful without money.

My reply was being ironic - chances of any other club than a newly 'Boehlyised' Chelsea spending £600m is pretty close to zero. Even Mancity looked like paupers/skinflints last summer

Family commitments hence Italy was his choice.

So you are 100% wrong. Again.

Didn't want to go to PL to Spurs or any other PL team or elsewhere in europe despite offers
You totally miss the point. We don't pay players well. All our defenders other than Romero and Lenglett are under 100 000 per week. Do you honestly think Levy will offer to pay 150-200 000 a week for Bremer? You must be out of your mind. It's why he takes punts on younger more inexperienced players. They cost less and their wagers will be less. Do you really believe we couldn't attract a better CB than what we have? Wake Up. LEVY OUT!!!

You totally miss the point. We don't pay players well. All our defenders other than Romero and Lenglett are under 100 000 per week.

Perisic isn't. 178kpw.

Do you honestly think Levy will offer to pay 150-200 000 a week for Bremer? You must be out of your mind. It's why he takes punts on younger more inexperienced players. They cost less and their wagers will be less. Do you really believe we couldn't attract a better CB than what we have? Wake Up. LEVY OUT!!!

Do you really think we spent 40m on Sanchez cos he was the cheap option?

Or that we spent even more on Romero and gave him 165kpw for the same reason?

Last edited:
You totally miss the point. We don't pay players well. All our defenders other than Romero and Lenglett are under 100 000 per week. Do you honestly think Levy will offer to pay 150-200 000 a week for Bremer? You must be out of your mind. It's why he takes punts on younger more inexperienced players. They cost less and their wagers will be less. Do you really believe we couldn't attract a better CB than what we have? Wake Up. LEVY OUT!!!

The story around Bremer is absolutely clear

He wanted to stay in Italy for family reasons to do with getting visas.

Talk about missing the point.
1) The published financial evidence is Spurs DO play the squad well - 5th or 6th highest in PL
2) Several PL clubs in the top 4 PL clubs wanted a CB - Spurs like the others could not sign one

Why not think before posting rubbish ?

1) The published financial evidence is Spurs DO play the squad well - 5th or 6th highest in PL
2) Several PL clubs in the top 4 PL clubs wanted a CB - Spurs like the others could not sign one

Indeed. We cannot just sign players because we think they are good.

Do they want to live in England; and play in the scummy part of London.
Does their family want to live in England?
Can they get a visa?
Do they speak the language?
Can they play our system?
Is the agent willing to deal with Spurs?
Are they happy to play for a top 6 side trying to punch above their weight?
Do they want to play for a club with zero street cred?
Are they happy to play for a 'jewish' club?
Are they happy to to for a club that will generate lower image rights income for them?

Oh, and are they any good at football?

Continue Believing Yourself. At some point you'll believe it. Remember, Porro cost us way more because Levy elected to play Hardball. Most normal people know what Masterclasses

Back
Top Bottom