Where do we go from here?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This is a bit of a reactionary thread to the Woolwich performance yesterday, but I think there are some serious questions that need to be asked .

Do we need a change in the upper management structure of the club for Spurs to succeed. So do we need to go back to a Director of Football system and a new team of people built around this person. So do we bring someone like Les Ferdinand with links to the club or someone from the continent who is a big name?

Do we Keep Mourinho or get rid?

Do we need a complete rebuild of the team or is it one or two positions?

Do we need to do an investigation weather Mourinho received any money from Spurs buying Doherty?

Going forward what style of play should we be aiming for?

Do we match the ambitions of our top players like Kane? If not then we need to sell him because it is unfair on him that we do not match his ambition.

Does Levy need to retire as chairman now that he has delivered the stadium and training ground and there are no major infrastructure projects for Spurs to carry out does he need to follow the original plan and find someone else to run the club day to day and be happy when the club is sold to someone else eventually?

If Mourinho stays how are we going to support him are we going to sign the World Class Defenders we need to play his tactics?

What type of players should we be signing.? Should we be signing world class talent or project players?

How do we sell the players we to get rid of?

Mourinho has to go. It hasn't worked, no point doubling down. If he hasn't gone by the time fans get back in it will get ugly very quickly. Whoever comes in be it Naglesmann, Rodgers, Ten Haag, Parker needs a better set up than we currently have so either a DOF or similar is needed. As for trasfers we need to go back to buying younger players and trusting our youth a bit more.

Who hires the DOF though? The last one we had led to Ramos and signings like David Bentley iirc. Then we had to hire Harry Redknapp and told Comolli to do one.

Decisions might end up being made for us if the likes of Kane decide they want to leave and we don't qualify for Europe. At that point, we are probably looking for a young coach to take his first 'big' job. I don't have much knowledge of outside the Premier League to comment on those coaches. From our league, I'd say Parker and Potter look like coaches that could do a good job with better players available to them.

It's all a gamble at this stage, but that's what I mean by saying the decision might be made for us. If we lose our star players and we're forced to really rebuild anyway, then going with a young coach isn't that big of a risk. It is similar to when we hired Poch.

This is a bit of a reactionary thread to the Woolwich performance yesterday, but I think there are some serious questions that need to be asked .

Do we need a change in the upper management structure of the club for Spurs to succeed. So do we need to go back to a Director of Football system and a new team of people built around this person. So do we bring someone like Les Ferdinand with links to the club or someone from the continent who is a big name?

Do we Keep Mourinho or get rid?

Do we need a complete rebuild of the team or is it one or two positions?

Do we need to do an investigation weather Mourinho received any money from Spurs buying Doherty?

Going forward what style of play should we be aiming for?

Do we match the ambitions of our top players like Kane? If not then we need to sell him because it is unfair on him that we do not match his ambition.

Does Levy need to retire as chairman now that he has delivered the stadium and training ground and there are no major infrastructure projects for Spurs to carry out does he need to follow the original plan and find someone else to run the club day to day and be happy when the club is sold to someone else eventually?

If Mourinho stays how are we going to support him are we going to sign the World Class Defenders we need to play his tactics?

What type of players should we be signing.? Should we be signing world class talent or project players?

How do we sell the players we to get rid of?
There is no doubt in my mind that we have a top 4 squad.
Nobody can tell me that we have a worse squad than Leicester, spam and Everton.

We definitely need a DOF.
But anybody who thinks that Levy identifies which players we sign are deluded.

Our scouting system needs to be changed.

Jose needs to go.
Shits himself against any top 10 team and plays negative defensive football.

Maybe Enic have taken us as far as they can, but they're not selling and who would buy in this climate.

Who hires the DOF though? The last one we had led to Ramos and signings like David Bentley iirc. Then we had to hire Harry Redknapp and told Comolli to do one.

Decisions might end up being made for us if the likes of Kane decide they want to leave and we don't qualify for Europe. At that point, we are probably looking for a young coach to take his first 'big' job. I don't have much knowledge of outside the Premier League to comment on those coaches. From our league, I'd say Parker and Potter look like coaches that could do a good job with better players available to them.

It's all a gamble at this stage, but that's what I mean by saying the decision might be made for us. If we lose our star players and we're forced to really rebuild anyway, then going with a young coach isn't that big of a risk. It is similar to when we hired Poch.
Most the Premier League now has a DOF or CEO who manages the recruitment and scouting. Managers do not have the time to scout players they never did. It is up to the manager to identify where improvements re needed and then the DOF builds a scouting list and they work on the possible targets together.

At Spurs Steve Hitchen reports into Levy and they decide on the targets. Then Levy will sometimes pull a rabbit out of hat from left field which we have not scouted, which the DOF has no clue about.

Carrick
Keane
Modric ( This is why Steve Hitchen is our head of recruitment he went directly to Levy to get us to sign Modric)
Sissoko
Van Der Vaart
Bale (Second Time)

There are numerous other occasions.

I think the decision of the players will be key. If Kane and Son decide they want to move, then we sell them both this summer and kick start a big squad overhaul with a younger manager. I prefer Parker but I'm biased and I know he has flaws but he could be a good risk to take.

With the youth we have and the young players currently in the squad, IF we need to sell Kane/Son and Levy reinvests 150m into the squad, we could be very good in a short time.

Let the next manager have 150m to play with while building the squad around Tananga, Skipp, Sessegnon, Ndombele, Lo Celso, Dele (if the manager chooses), Bergwijn, Hojbjerg, Cirkin, White, Devine, Scarlett, Parrott...

We will just have to deal with not being a top 4 contender for a year or two but if the next manager hits the ground running, in the long term it could work out well for us. But continuing to just keep bringing in managers and not changing the squad is not going to grow us at all.

Hopefully Nagelsmann. Hopefully Kane doesn't push for an exit. Hopefully bring in a good young CB, RB, GK and RW. Shift Lloris, Doherty, Sissoko, Winks and whoever else. Skipp and Sess back from loan spells.

Comolli also signed Modric, Bale, Berbatov, BAE and other reasonable players like Pavlyuchenko. I wouldn't mind that kind of track record again.

Last edited:
get a DOF and get Levy to hand off as much as possible. Then bring in an attacking coach of quality, Nagglesman, Potter whoever is seen as suitable.

Sell a few players so we can buy a few extra defenders and bring Skipp back to add another DM. Hope that Kane, Son and Bale want to stay

the bigger changes need to happen at the top with Jose out and Levy moved off the football side.

I don't think the DOF is the golden bullet some people are hoping for, presents its own problems.

I'd be more than happy to call it quits on Mourinho at the end of the season as we're clearly not improving on the whole.

Need to do some smart business in the summer and get some decent defenders and a new keeper in. Think a new coach with some different ideas could get alot more out of these attacking players.

Sacking Jose without Levy following is pointless and very expensive

A new manager, while providing a temporary bounce, will soon be stuck in the same Catch-22 situation:

- Squad made up of ageing, painfully average cloggers on fat, long-term contracts with zero ambition or desire to leave - Sissoko, Dier, Davies, Winks, Doherty, Lamela, Bergwyin, etc - to name a few
- Completely inadequate and dysfunctional scouting / transfer system build around maximising sell-on profits and nothing more
- Lack of clear direction and investment to propel THFC into a Tier 1 club

Sacking Jose without Levy following is pointless and very expensive

A new manager, while providing a temporary bounce, will soon be stuck in the same Catch-22 situation:

- Squad made up of painfully average cloggers on fat, long-term contracts with zero ambition or desire to leave - Sissoko, Dier, Davies, Winks, Doherty, Lamela, Bergwyin, etc - to name a few
- Completely inadequate and dysfunctional scouting / transfer system build around maximing sell-on profits and nothing more
- Lack of clear direction and investment to propel this team into a Tier 1 club

Levy ain’t going, the best that can be done is pushed to the side with a DOF. Whatever the issues with our defence this squad should be doing miles better than it is and that is on the manager.

I want a proper structure system like City have, I know we don’t have their money but to have a DOF with power who is able to shape the club over the long term is key. Jose will not be part of that.

Levy ain’t going, the best that can be done is pushed to the side with a DOF. Whatever the issues with our defence this squad should be doing miles better than it is and that is on the manager.

I want a proper structure system like City have, I know we don’t have their money but to have a DOF with power who is able to shape the club over the long term is key. Jose will not be part of that.
Levy will never cede full power to a DOF - that is the problem, mate. So we are stuck with more bargain bin specials for as long as he has the final say on transfers

I just want to add - bringing Jose is about as high-profile we could have gone and also go from here

The next manager will be in the Poch / Rodgers bracket - Tier 2 or 3 at most. No Tier 1 manager will ever come to us after this

The last DOF Comolli also signed Modric, Bale, Berbatov, BAE and other reasonable players like Pavlyuchenko. I wouldn't mind that kind of track record again.

Baldini was our last DOF

I just want to add - bringing Jose is about as high-profile we could have gone and also go from here

The next manager will be in the Poch / Rodgers bracket - Tier 2 or 3 at most. No Tier 1 manager will ever come to us after this
He might still be tier 1 in name and reputation but no longer in impact. That ship sailed a while ago. Even if that wasn't the case its about fit and Mourinho, like Graham before him, is just not suited to us.

Back
Top Bottom