Where do we go from here?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Baldini was our last DOF
Yes you're right, I meant to delete "last" from my post but forgot.
I think Baldini gets a bit unfairly maligned actually. Eriksen and Lamela were excellent signings, injuries notwithstanding. Soldado and Paulinho had all the hallmarks of good signings but just didn't work in the PL. Capoue and Chadli were perfectly decent squad players. Chiriches was the only awful pick. He also managed to flog a huge number of squad players in that same window.

Last edited:
tenor.gif

Yes you're right, I mean to delete "last" from my post but forgot.
I think Baldini gets a bit unfairly maligned actually. Eriksen and Lamela were excellent signings, injuries notwithstanding. Soldado and Paulinho had all the hallmarks of good signings but just didn't work in the PL. Capoue and Chadli were perfectly decent squad players. Chiriches was the only awful pick. He also managed to flog a huge number of squad players in that same window.

Yeah it was just too many transfers all at once - it took a season before any manager could work out how to fit any of them into a system

This is a bit of a reactionary thread to the Woolwich performance yesterday, but I think there are some serious questions that need to be asked .

Do we need a change in the upper management structure of the club for Spurs to succeed. So do we need to go back to a Director of Football system and a new team of people built around this person. So do we bring someone like Les Ferdinand with links to the club or someone from the continent who is a big name?

Do we Keep Mourinho or get rid?

Do we need a complete rebuild of the team or is it one or two positions?

Do we need to do an investigation weather Mourinho received any money from Spurs buying Doherty?

Going forward what style of play should we be aiming for?

Do we match the ambitions of our top players like Kane? If not then we need to sell him because it is unfair on him that we do not match his ambition.

Does Levy need to retire as chairman now that he has delivered the stadium and training ground and there are no major infrastructure projects for Spurs to carry out does he need to follow the original plan and find someone else to run the club day to day and be happy when the club is sold to someone else eventually?

If Mourinho stays how are we going to support him are we going to sign the World Class Defenders we need to play his tactics?

What type of players should we be signing.? Should we be signing world class talent or project players?

How do we sell the players we to get rid of?
Do we need a change in the upper management structure of the club for Spurs to succeed. So do we need to go back to a Director of Football system and a new team of people built around this person. So do we bring someone like Les Ferdinand with links to the club or someone from the continent who is a big name?
YES, daniel levy and joe lewis needs to go.

Do we Keep Mourinho or get rid?
keep

Do we need a complete rebuild of the team or is it one or two positions?
1-2 positions specifically defense

Do we need to do an investigation weather Mourinho received any money from Spurs buying Doherty?
yes, if it is true. Not too sure.

Going forward what style of play should we be aiming for?
Winning style

Do we match the ambitions of our top players like Kane? If not then we need to sell him because it is unfair on him that we do not match his ambition.
Kane is not ambitious also, thats the reason why hes still here. I think personally he has doubts about moving overseas to another country. However with Mourinho here, he is starting to really believe himself.

Does Levy need to retire as chairman now that he has delivered the stadium and training ground and there are no major infrastructure projects for Spurs to carry out does he need to follow the original plan and find someone else to run the club day to day and be happy when the club is sold to someone else eventually?
YES JESUS CHRIST YES. RETIRE NOW and bring joe lewis with him. They are 2 snakes in a hole, poisoning our club. At Woolwich they have Stan kroenke.

If Mourinho stays how are we going to support him are we going to sign the World Class Defenders we need to play his tactics?
I would prefer for him to coach our defenders into world class, but if there is a good defender then we should just buy.

What type of players should we be signing.? Should we be signing world class talent or project players?
Both, preference on world class talent

How do we sell the players we to get rid of?
Ask Daniel Levy that. He is the best at this. Danny Rose is the one that got one over him

No question relevant today should not have been relevant yesterday, before 16:30.

We are a world away from playing well on a given day (try guessing which day) and being a consistent and dominant force.

I have no answers but do think (know emphatically) we lack mentality and character on the field and strangely Mourinho does not seem to have changed that for the better.

Not for one minute (even when we led) did I think we would win yesterday and that's absolutely scandalous. Sure I sit on the sceptical field but there was no sense of confidence in us as 11/14 players. I just don't get it.

We need a remedy but be cautious of believing that just occurs through a change of manager.

We have got as far as we can under ENIC. I think that is patently obvious. They have generally done a good job (with reservations) but need to sell us before we can ever think of 'next level'.

I disagree, or at least reserve judgement to see how they manage the club once the stadium money starts rolling in properly.

I would also be more in favour of a partial sale with Levy managing the club with greater resources, rather than selling to someone with no experience.

All goods questions posed by the thread starter. Like some on here I don’t profess to have the answers and nor should any of us in all honesty. That’s why we ‘should’ have trust in the owners and management structure.

Mourinho hasn’t worked out. Not only that but we didn’t even experience the fruits of what he is famous for: adding steel and character while picking up a pot or two. We’ve gone straight to year 3 bypassing the ‘good times’ (?). The appointment was very much in the mold of George Graham’s - an enemy infamous for playing in the complete opposite style to which Spurs are known.

I am really baffled though by the lack of mettle or application. I expected pragmatic football (maybe not as painful as we’ve seen) but I didn’t expect a JM side to be so brittle and fragile. To that end, he had failed miserably.

I’m not qualified to comment of the merits of a DoF. I don’t know what goes on behind the scenes. Not sure if anyone posting on here does.

Agree, Levy ain’t going anywhere unless Bezos or another billionaire buys us out. I’d like Levy to step down or even move into a stadium op’s role (won’t happen) while a more ambitious director/chairman took over.

The squad is a baffling mix of sublime and ridiculous. It needs an overhaul because the ridiculous are costing us games regularly and there’s every chance the sublime will be off to try to match their talents to a club with more ambition.

I’d like to see more kids given a go but that won’t happen under this manager.

Lastly, we can play a part when grounds re-open. The new stadium - award winning and plush as it is - is something we have grow into and give character to. Obvs a successful side helps do that but so do we as loud, passionate supporters.....

No question relevant today should not have been relevant yesterday, before 16:30.

We are a world away from playing well on a given day (try guessing which day) and being a consistent and dominant force.

I have no answers but do think (know emphatically) we lack mentality and character on the field and strangely Mourinho does not seem to have changed that for the better.

Not for one minute (even when we led) did I think we would win yesterday and that's absolutely scandalous. Sure I sit on the sceptical field but there was no sense of confidence in us as 11/14 players. I just don't get it.

We need a remedy but be cautious of believing that just occurs through a change of manager.
People really think a new manager who plays possession football, like Potter ffs, is the silver bullet to all our issues.

Yeah I'm sure Kane and Son and Lloris will love taking orders from the ex-Brighton manager.

There is something rotten at the core of the squad in terms of mentality, Jose has not been able to arrest this, that was his job and so far he looks to be failing.

We still need a huge squad turnover, all the Poch failures need to go - Sissoko, Winks, Dier, Davies, Toby, Lloris, Dele, Aurier.

Kane and Son should stay as I think they have enough quality to overcome the mental walls - though I wouldn't be against cashing in on Son.

If we get rid of Jose we are effectively back to square one when Poch arrived although we have a better foundation and more potential to springboard. A good crop of young players and theoretically more weight to throw about in the transfer market. But we are still looking at another 5 year project - will our senior players (Kane especially) buy into that?

Jose's hire was the last attempt to squeeze some juice out of this beaten squad and maybe deliver silverware. If it doesn't work we may as well tear the whole thing down and start again.

People really think a new manager who plays possession football, like Potter ffs, is the silver bullet to all our issues.

Yeah I'm sure Kane and Son and Lloris will love taking orders from the ex-Brighton manager.

There is something rotten at the core of the squad in terms of mentality, Jose has not been able to arrest this, that was his job and so far he looks to be failing.

We still need a huge squad turnover, all the Poch failures need to go - Sissoko, Winks, Dier, Davies, Toby, Lloris, Dele, Aurier.

Kane and Son should stay as I think they have enough quality to overcome the mental walls - though I wouldn't be against cashing in on Son.

If we get rid of Jose we are effectively back to square one when Poch arrived although we have a better foundation and more potential to springboard. A good crop of young players and theoretically more weight to throw about in the transfer market. But we are still looking at another 5 year project - will our senior players (Kane especially) buy into that?

Jose's hire was the last attempt to squeeze some juice out of this beaten squad and maybe deliver silverware. If it doesn't work we may as well tear the whole thing down and start again.

Why does it have to be a silver bullet? Everything doesn't have to be solved in one move. Getting in a new manager who plays a style that better uses our players is a positive step, but doesn't need to be the only move. There is no rule that says you can only bring in a new manager and not do anything with the players.

And why would Kane and Son not listen to the ex-Brighton manager? Is there some evidence that they are cunts who think they are better than the team or manager?

And if we do need to tear it down it seems like it would be much better to do that with a new manager than to do it with Jose.

Why does it have to be a silver bullet? Everything doesn't have to be solved in one move. Getting in a new manager who plays a style that better uses our players is a positive step, but doesn't need to be the only move. There is no rule that says you can only bring in a new manager and not do anything with the players.

And why would Kane and Son not listen to the ex-Brighton manager? Is there some evidence that they are cunts who think they are better than the team or manager?

And if we do need to tear it down it seems like it would be much better to do that with a new manager than to do it with Jose.

Well they have basically admitted they haven't been following Mourinho's instructions.

If they can do that to one of the most successful managers ever I'm sure they could do it to the possibly relegated Potter.

Well they have basically admitted they haven't been following Mourinho's instructions.

If they can do that to one of the most successful managers ever I'm sure they could do it to the possibly relegated Potter.

I have not heard that, I know Kane says that Jose doesn't tell them to sit back but I don't remember him saying that I said Fuck that and did what I want. It seemed to be much more of a player protecting the manager than anything else and taking some blame on the players.

I have not heard that, I know Kane says that Jose doesn't tell them to sit back but I don't remember him saying that I said Fuck that and did what I want. It seemed to be much more of a player protecting the manager than anything else and taking some blame on the players.
Saying that Jose doesn't tell them to sit back yet acknowledging that the players still do implies they are not doing what the manager asks.

Yes he didn't explicitly say those words but it's a very simple logical conclusion to make.

The only alternative is to believe that Jose does indeed tell them all to sit back but then lies to the press about this after and instructs all his players to do the same.

Back
Top Bottom