Which cheap striker would you go for?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Which cheap striker would you go for?

• Troy Deeney

• Josh King

• Olivier Giroud

• Habib Diallo

• Chris Wood

• Ollie Watkins

Results are only viewable after voting.
Don't feed the club coffers.
Do something public to put pressure on the board/owners
Don't watch the Amazon Doc
etc.
Ahh...now then. I have not, and will never, watch the Amazon documentary.

tumblr_mcoitv85FB1qjh4la.gif

What do you think about that then mate. I'm a proper fan after all

:tobyarm:

With Callum Wilson now off to Newcastle and only a few days to go until our season starts with our jam packed schedule, which shit bargain striker would you go for out of these five options if given the choice?

The Contenders

Troy Deeney

Club: Watford
Stats last season: 27 games, 10 goals
Estimated fee (according to transfermarkt): 5.85m

Josh King
Club: Bournemouth
Stats last season: 27 games, 6 goals
Estimated fee (according to transfermarkt):14.4m

Olivier Giroud
Club: Chelsea
Stats last season: 25 games, 10 goals
Estimated fee (according to transfermarkt):6.3m

Habib Diallo
Club: FC Metz
Stats last season: 27 games, 12 goals
Estimated fee (according to transfermarkt): 10.8m

Chris Wood
Club: Burnley
Stats last season: 35 games, 14 goals
Estimated fee (according to transfermarkt): 13.05m

Ollie Watkins
Club: Brentford
Stats last season: 50 games, 26 goals
Estimated fee (according to press): 25m

I haven't included other options such as Luis Suarez and Edinson Cavani as lets be honest those two are on a different level to these guys and aren't in the bargain bin category in terms of wages. Also seems Costa will be going to Italy.

Personally in my order of preference I would go

1. Wood
2. Watkins
3. Giroud
4. Diallo
5. Deeney
6. King

Last edited:
Wouldn’t spend on penny on any one of the fore mentioned players....we are fucking Tottenham Hotspur FC, and there is absolutely no reason to even consider these types of players.....But it’s real life and we probably will, so Ollie Watkins at a push....

Where did you answer it and how is anything I typed anti-Spurs?

If your answer is Cavani or Costa that is no answer. There is zero realistic expectation that either would be close to competing for the top striker position with Kane.

So again what do you do with the EL and Cup games? Are either of them fine playing those games when the don't come close to challenging Kane?
Or let's bring in deeney or Wilson who will do more pointing then score goals. Or buy this Diallo guy who could flop like Janssen. At the end of the day you get the guys with experience in cups and who you know will score goals. Cavani at 33 is fitter then most strikers in their 20's his work rate is top notch. I have no doubt he would score here. If he scores a lot then of course that's great for us. Too many punts. Let's get a ready made striker who we know has done it in all comps. 20 mill over 2 years or that for an unproven talent like Diallo. I'm talking if we have aspirations of a top four finish too. I believe kane will be better for it too having decent comp up top.

Although no doubt posted in good spirit and with the right intention, the list of options, and even more so the question itself, is an insult to the fans and all the great players who have represented this football club down the years.

To think we once smashed the British transfer record to sign Jimmy Greaves and are now reduced to this nonsense is a fucking travesty

Last edited:
I was disappointed we started last season without a back up striker. I sort of understood how difficult the January window was and accepted no back up striker. However the way Mourinho has the team play it is essential we have a back up and results in February showed this. The summer window even in the Covid times is the time to bring someone in and I am disappointed no one is in for the start of the season. However if no one comes in by the closing of the window I consider that a terrible failure by Scouts, Mourinho and Levy as we are again unlikely to rectify this in January. To go the whole season risking Kane or Son always being able to play and not be injured, suspended or ruled out by Covid restrictions and tiredness from a crowded fixture list is not the actions of a top 6 side.

I think it will be the end of the line for most Spurs fans on Daniel Levy if he fails to bring in a striker this window. Far to many times he has allowed Spurs to start a season not prepared properly and this will be the last straw. Levy can seriously fuck off if he allows this to happen again. Should of had a striker in weeks ago, yet we are starting a season without a sufficient back up to Harry.

What are you expecting me to do. Burn Levy's house down.

I'm a fan, my boy. A mere fan. And a passionate one at that.

Like many fans I express my opinions on a football forum, and, much like yourself, some agree with them and some don't.
I will still support my team when they run on to the pitch,. Again, just like you .

Unlike you, I won't be offering to wash the chairman's car and weed his flower beds every Sunday
I've already taken the sunday flower beds slot.

Whether you like it or not, you are in a tangible state of "acceptance".

You could be doing something, but choose not to.

Rubbish...... There IS more... You're lying to yourself.

I've already noted other movements and other times; be that us or other club....

You think Scholar protests took place on a fan forum in the early 90's???? LOL

What a completely absurd and ignorant statement... You spend half your time here goading people like me cos they don't agree with you.... Why in any sane would would they be the ones to spearhead any such protests or movements if they don't share your grievance?

Utter drivel on your part, John.

Rubbish.... It's you that seemingly doesn't believe in debate... It is nigh on impossible to have a genuine and good faith discussion with you.

You may recall there was a plane protest that (literally) never got off the ground a few months back... .Did I share their grievances? No.... But I share as hell respected the people behind it and their "passion" for the club more than I do those that do fuck all other that whinge and whine about "Yachts" & "Theft" on a regular basis.
So you're not allowed to criticize the club unless you're willing to go on a hunger strike or assassinate the owners... right...

Of course..... Albeit at the expense of me or my point of view.....

Fair enough, mind.... The gif-ing around these parts wears a bit thin when one's just bothered to articulate themselves over a hundred or more words and the gif that's all.

Well there you have it; you've just identified another tangible path of action.

Don't feed the club coffers.
Do something public to put pressure on the board/owners
Don't watch the Amazon Doc
etc.

Or

Just "accept" (*) things are the way they are and bang ones head against the wall on TFC.

Choices are there.

(*See #Unacceptable)

So in your opinion a life long supporter of a football team should stop supporting the team if that supporter doesn't like the ownership?

Wow.

No... If I meant that, I'd have categorically said as much.

Read about the recent plights of Charlton, Blackpool, Sheff Wed. etc. etc.

Bottom line: If (!!!!!) I thought our owners were "thieves" (which I don't), I'd seek to more than just make than same post day after day on TFC, criticising others for "accepting" the situation.

What did you do to Scholar? You must have been about 12

Back
Top Bottom