Which cheap striker would you go for?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Which cheap striker would you go for?

• Troy Deeney

• Josh King

• Olivier Giroud

• Habib Diallo

• Chris Wood

• Ollie Watkins

Results are only viewable after voting.
It's amazing that there is a thread for this in September 2020.
This has been an issue for almost 3 years.
118764210_10159691126007195_8928814750861998430_n.jpg

To me this is already egregious mismanagement. We knew we needed a striker a year ago (and many felt we needed a couple years ahead of that when we brought Llorente in). When we didn't sign one last summer, we all knew we were playing with fire.

Now we see the head of recruiting complain about the January window and how hard it is. Sure...good for you. A deal ought to have done way ahead of that with it becoming firm at 12:01am on January 1st. Other clubs all do this and surely it was known that we needed to fill that role. It's unconscionable that it dragged on that far.

But, lo and behold, they managed to fuck that up as well! Here we are, five days before kick off for the new season and we haven't addressed the most obvious issue. To top it all off, there were about 4.5 months with no football, so what exactly were these recruiting and scouting staff doing during that time? Surely they could have lined up a deal or at least a very short list of probable deals to get one done and settled well in advance? It's completely unacceptable that they seemingly have done nothing.

And I am not interested in the "well we had Covid and it scuttled plans" garbage either. This is a multimillion dollar operation. I ran my business through this, which is a drop in the ocean beside THFC, so don't even start. Really, from a business perspective, the lack of action and failure to address this in 2 windows probably cost the business £50-100m by missing top four. Who knows if we'd have won a trophy or advanced in the CL last spring.

Anyway, sorry for the bit of a rant. I feel better already though. I look forward to them announcing Troy Deeney, proving me wrong later today.

Why does it have to be a ‘cheap’ striker?

We’re an elite club now who can compete at the very top - and charge our fans elite ticket prices.

I was disappointed we started last season without a back up striker. I sort of understood how difficult the January window was and accepted no back up striker. However the way Mourinho has the team play it is essential we have a back up and results in February showed this. The summer window even in the Covid times is the time to bring someone in and I am disappointed no one is in for the start of the season. However if no one comes in by the closing of the window I consider that a terrible failure by Scouts, Mourinho and Levy as we are again unlikely to rectify this in January. To go the whole season risking Kane or Son always being able to play and not be injured, suspended or ruled out by Covid restrictions and tiredness from a crowded fixture list is not the actions of a top 6 side.

Diego Costa has had season of 7-5-5 goals in all competitions you think he is coming in to compete with Kane?

Cavani is 33 and went from seasons of 49 and 40 goals to 23 and then 7. You think he is going to come in and compete with Kane for a starting spot?

Sure bring someone in to challenge Kane but the reality is for the money we have and the players available there isn't anyone out there that can fill that spot.

The risk in bringing in Cavani and saying compete for the 1st team striker is how does he react when he doesn't come close to beating out Kane and is left playing Europa League games? Is he fine doing that? Because bringing Cavani for some pie in the sky notion that he will compete with Kane only for him to refuse or sulk when told he is playing against Plodiv and Leyton Orient does us no good at all.

Milik couldn't beat out the average guys at Napoli for a striker position doubt he will do it here. Piatek couldn't take the starting role at Milan and is now at Hertha can't see him coming into to dethrone Kane.

Who is this mythical guy that we can afford, is available and is going to be able to come close to competing with Kane for the 1st team spot?
I have already answered that question.

Take your 'pie in the sky' and general anti-spurs bullshit and shove it where the sun doesn't shine.

John Thomas John Thomas - What's on your revolution 'to do' list besides moan on TFC?

Still dodging the question.....
What are you expecting me to do. Burn Levy's house down.

I'm a fan, my boy. A mere fan. And a passionate one at that.

Like many fans I express my opinions on a football forum, and, much like yourself, some agree with them and some don't.
I will still support my team when they run on to the pitch,. Again, just like you .

Unlike you, I won't be offering to wash the chairman's car and weed his flower beds every Sunday

No.... I'm scrutinizing the #Unacceptable meme.

I'm not running law over anything/anyone.

Bottom line: If (!!!!!) I thought our owners were "thieves" (which I don't), I'd seek to more than just make than same post day after day on TFC, criticising others for "accepting" the situation.

(My position here is NOT complicated.)
But why are you so insistent on criticizing other fans for deeming the poor transfer dealings of the club rather than the owners themselves?

One can deem the level of effort and or quality of incomings unacceptable even if they aren't willing to start a literal riot over it. You can make judgements.

Back
Top Bottom