Which Tottenham Player Has Done Way Better Than Expected

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Toby without a doubt. Did not know why we signed him at the time. Dier and Trippier.
I had high hopes for Dele but he has been way better than my expectation.
Davies hasn't set the world on fire but he's been good and I was totally against the joint signing with Vorm.
Cudicini did a lot better than I thought he would.

Current spurs players that ended up better than I thought they would when they first came on the scene at Spurs would have to be Alderweireld, Rose, Dele, Son & Kane.

Ones I expected more from.....Aurier, Foyth, Lamela, Lucas. Don’t get me wrong all are decent additions but I think each of them have a hell of more potential than they’ve demonstrated whilst with us so all have to be seen in such a light in my eyes. Ndombele risks being out in the latter section which startled me as he possesses all the talent you could hope a club like Spurs would sign. Big shame I forgot it doesn’t work out for him.

Bale and Dembele although I would also add Keane.

Dembele came well regarded but was supreme and it was just a shame about the body.

Bale just became a star from a very shaky start and that surprised.

Keane was a very welcome surprise. Proper striker in so many ways. Mercurial talent.

It's actually hard to remember back to expectation and then the reality so a bit skewed probably.

Not sure how this can be anyone but Kane unless it's literally just signings and not any player we first had an opinion on. He went from promising youth striker who was scoring goals for fun at youth level, to a bit part player occasionally played outwide to one of the best striker in the clubs history.
I thought he was better than Pav at 18 tbh.

Watching old games I saw a game between Spurs and Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in the mid-80s that I was almost certainly at.
Playing up front for Spurs was David Leworthy ... total blank, I have no memory of him at all.

Michael Brown.
He helped us stay up but was so pleased when he left.

Read the thread title..... Your failure to do so renders your 'I've never been wrong about a player' boast seriously lacking in credibility.

I'd add this guy to my list, simply because of the fact he was so highly rated as a kid and after his loans etc. I thought it was never going to work out for him due to his physique.

Ended up an England player and maybe would have kicked on a bit apart from horrendous luck with injuries before he went to get more playing time and then the disaster I still can barely bear to think about at Hull. Gets far too much stick from some IMO.

This is a great article I've not seen linked here before...

Big Mason fan..... But did better than expected?

As per your comments (and I'd agree) if anything things could have hone much better.

I love that he at least got capped.

Big Mason fan..... But did better than expected?

As per your comments (and I'd agree) if anything things could have hone much better.

I love that he at least got capped.
Point being he was so rated as a youth and then didn't breakthrough until he was 23, after all the loans (France etc.) I'd thought there was a fair chance of him not making it, so he did better in the first team than I ever expected.

Alli.

For 3 or 4 seasons he just took the breath away.

I thought there was no stopping him or us from having to sell him to Madrid or him running down his contract and forcing an in country sale.

Maybe the worst thing for him and us was that he found it too easy and stopped working..

But by a country mile because Bale, who would be my second came with so many plaudits.

Berbatov was also brilliant (never ever will I bear witness to a greater solo performance than his against Bolton. To this day it leaves me in awe) but my surprise was probably because so had never heard of him.

Alli.

For 3 or 4 seasons he just took the breath away.

I thought there was no stopping him or us from having to sell him to Madrid or him running down his contract and forcing an in country sale.

Maybe the worst thing for him and us was that he found it too easy and stopped working..

But by a country mile because Bale, who would be my second came with so many plaudits.

Berbatov was also brilliant (never ever will I bear witness to a greater solo performance than his against Bolton. To this day it leaves me in awe) but my surprise was probably because so had never heard of him.
Alli just seems run down at 24?

Back
Top Bottom