who would you have subbed.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Thelonious said:
Nah mate, a point away to Villa is triffic

A point away at Villa when reduced to ten men for much of the second half - and chasing a goal just to equalise - is not a shameful result. In the context of the flow of the game it looks like we should have coasted it, but we didn't in the end and that's football.

My only beef is with the Parker sub. The Defoe one I can forgive. JD isn't as adept as Ade in general play, he's too one-dimensional and it would have smacked of a panic sub when there was no need. Two mins later, penalty + goal = different game. I think H got that one right.

Shouldn't have taken Rafa off for Parker IMO. It was just time wasted in the end. Not sure I'd have made a sub unless I was sure that we gained something without losing the overall momentum.

Belgian Spur said:
You do forget the other possibility ... we went for it , scored the winner and would have been third right now !

Very true. But we could go through a whole season saying:

"If we beat such and such, and if we beat so and so, and if we won every game, we'd be top."

Whats the point? Look at The Scum on Saturday. This is football. This is what happens, and Im glad we got one point instead of none. Im gutted we didnt win too, but Im not going to start beating the manager for every fucking little thing every single time we dont get the result we want.

How about he didnt make a sub, but we got a winner?
How about he did make a sub, but we still drew?

It would just be another thread, about something else, and whatever the whinge this week, it would still be Redknapps fault.

Fucking tiresome.

Reptile_16 said:
Thelonious said:
Nah mate, a point away to Villa is triffic

A point away at Villa when reduced to ten men for much of the second half - and chasing a goal just to equalise - is not a shameful result. In the context of the flow of the game it looks like we should have coasted it, but we didn't in the end and that's football.

My only beef is with the Parker sub. The Defoe one I can forgive. JD isn't as adept as Ade in general play, he's too one-dimensional and it would have smacked of a panic sub when there was no need. Two mins later, penalty + goal = different game. I think H got that one right.

Shouldn't have taken Rafa off for Parker IMO. It was just time wasted in the end. Not sure I'd have made a sub unless I was sure that we gained something without losing the overall momentum.
Villa have the shittest home record in the premier league, 4 points from 2 away games isn't the end of the world but the fact Arry was happy to settle for a point is a little disconcerting.

Thelonious said:
Villa have the shittest home record in the premier league, 4 points from 2 away games isn't the end of the world but the fact Arry was happy to settle for a point is a little disconcerting.

Ever considered that if we had 11 men, possibly, just possibly, he may have gone for the win?

Why is the fact we were a man down being completely ignored? Do people think it shouldnt have affected our approach?

sammyspurs said:
Thelonious said:

Ever considered that if we had 11 men, possibly, just possibly, he may have gone for the win?

Why is the fact we were a man down being completely ignored? Do people think it shouldnt have affected our approach?
We beat them with 10 men last season, they only had 1 shot on goal. Why not go for it?

i agree with t, the timing really pissed me off, wouldnt have minded parker coming on to be fair, but also would have prob liked to see lennon off for a striker, and player 4-3-2 with mod parker sandro just stopping any counters and getting the ball forward, and bale and walker going forward getting the ball into the box, i think this would have worked better with saha though,

We were all over them like a rash. Defoe's not perfect but he would've added another dimension, plus he's not afraid to shoot. A wasted opportunity in my humble.

If JD wasn't already heading for the door, he must be now.

But we didn't exactly sit back and play for the draw after the sub did we? We still went for the win, but vdv had to go off with a thigh twinge (watch the sub again) and Harry went with a shape that he thought would serve us best. Parker coming on also gives sandro the space to push up and join the attack. How many times have people berated him for going 442 and leaving us expOsed in the last few months? Did you really want to hear at the end of the game "well jeff we played open at the end coz I felt we had a goal in us but then we got mugged by the young lad at the end there and we've lost the game. We needed all three points so I brought on jermain who's a top top player but we were very open after that etc etc"

Have hurt my thumb giving Sammyspurs rep in this thread.

Remember a few weeks ago when everyone took the piss out of Harry for saying we were too open to play 442, then playing it against Norwich and getting beat cos we were too open?

If 442 is open, I'd imagine 432 would be a bit more so. I am a huge JD fan and can't understand why he doesn't get more game time, but he is it a player I want on when we need to win the ball to create chances. I'd want a ball-winning midfielder. Someone like that Parker lad. He's who I would've taken on yesterday.

For what it's worth, I don't think Harry can take us much further than he has already, so we may consider a change, but not because of yesterdays subs.

Thelonious said:
We beat them with 10 men last season, they only had 1 shot on goal. Why not go for it?

We finished 5th last year, but won at The Scum and Anfield. Yesterday was yesterday, and while I agree we needed a win, can you imagine this thread had he gone for it and lost?

There would be no "ahhh well, at least we were aiming high" bollox being spouted. That we can all agree on!

He played it safe, away, with ten men, against a team fighting for survival in their second to last game.

Win preferable. Draw keeps us in it. Im not going to slag Redknapp off for it, and claim some shit like Id rather we lost trying than drew bottling it (I know you have'nt, but others have)

Thats what pisses me off. Slate him when its called for, otherwise it just becomes a big hate campaign. This forum is a great place to be around....theres enough other hate filled forums out there dividing Spurs fans and tirelessly and un-objectively picking holes in every single little thing Redknapp does or says.

Cant TFC be a sanctuary form that shit.

It's not so much about the formation, he seemed at a loss at what to do during the game which was worrying to me. To spend 30 minutes picking a sub is a bit odd.

Redknapp will be Spurs boss next season so I'm already resigned to that.

sammyspurs said:
Thelonious said:
OK. I shan't ever speak out against Redknapp.

Not what I said.

I said "slate him when its called for".......yesterday was not one of those occassions.
I think it's a case of slating him when you think it's called for.

Some of the abuse he got yesterday was OTT but the substitutions and shape of the team is a matter of opinion surely?

I don't think any of the abuse he's got on this thread is out of hand in fairness. Both sides have presented their views fairly sensibly.

Whilst I wasn't a major fan of the Parker sub, I also can understand why he didn't bring Defoe on. The last time we were chasing a game and took VDV off for Defoe we let in 3 goals in about 10 minutes. And people who say it didn't matter if we lost or drew need to take another look at the league table. We're still only 1 point behind Woolwich, so if we win next weekend and they draw we will finish above them. If we had lost yesterday, then it would have gone down to goal difference (which we're currently behind them on).

A lot of people around me were shouting for Defoe but I thought we were playing well and getting into positions to create chances. The one thing I'd have done different is make a sub in order to get Bale further up the pitch. He rarely got forward and sometimes didn't even come up for the corners which is a shame because he's probably our second biggest threat from them.

I'm not going to slate Harry for yesterday, I'd sooner slate the players who took 50 odd minutes and Rose's red card to start properly playing.

slating aside, subs aside, everything aside. there was 1 corner yesterday which stunk of being practised, or at the very least planned and thought out. vdv took the cheeky corner over the first man perfectly for an on running kyle walker. that made me feel a bit better knowing that maybe we are starting to practise set pieces. again very disappointed not to score a corner after being awarded about 20!!!!

I think had the Toon v Citeh result been different then HR would off made a different sub, the TV picked him up asking what the result is/was from that game. Obviously he has settled for the point. I would off liked him to go for the win.

Flannerz said:
I would have brought Saha on because of all the corners we were getting

I would of done what Flannerz suggested, we had 19 corners NINETEEN and hardly got on the end of any of them. Shocking :gio:

:coys:

durbanspur said:
good old Bill. "It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low".
that is the reason we support spurs... because we go out with the attitude of ok you scored 3 well we gonna score 4. and fuck harry for doing what he did yesterday. for over 20 years i have supported spurs because that is how we played. we played to win even if it left us open to counter attacks and losing.

as much as we all love that statement if we dont get top 4 (meant nothing for poor old bill) it could send us on a backward spiral, we get 4th we keep Bale and probably keep Modric (but i think he's gone anyway). these players will attract other players who will want to play with these players, and beat Woolwich to players like jan vertonghen, who may not be the best player, but wont be at Woolwich.

if we get 4th (at least) we can go on and achieve great things, rather than lose all we've worked for, to be honest i'm very happy to get a point coming from behind with 10 men and despite the way we talk about Villa, we have no god given right to go to Villa Park and win. Do we really think the way Defoe has been playing that he would have come on and scored the winner. A points not great but its enough, i really think WBA will at least get a point so IF we win we can still get 3rd and if Newcastle dont win at Everton we have 4th without kicking a ball, the draw ain't that bad

Back
Top Bottom