Will player power sink Fonseca?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Re: Fonseca's style (from The Athletic):

This is a very interesting piece on his tactics by the way: Serie A revolution. In it you can see them practicing gegenpressing:
Cheers for these links and excerpts.
I was underwhelmed by the fact he isn't a big name, but the more I read about his style of play the more I think it really suits us if the players buy into it.

If anything, I would say the biggest risk of his style is that our players are not physically fit enough at the moment to implement it. OGS said they needed six months to recover fitness after Mourinho's tenure. So I expect the first season to be shaky regardless (plus his ideas seem kind of complicated), but we should at least see glimmers of a better press and more proactive possession.
But this is exactly what worries me.

There will be a transition period where results will be shaky. At this point, the pressure on Levy from fans will be to sack the manager.
The players may stop working as hard to adjust to his style of play, as they'd be fully aware that the manager has no leverage. A bit like how Ndombele did not bother in training under Mason.

Why is this a issue ?

a) Not appointed yet
b) We dont know who will be in/out of squad

And why are we measuring every manager on same yard stick as Jose ? Jose causes more than half his own problems with players. Fonseca - no issues whatsoever. Even Dzeko who he gave a cold treatment initially, got on board with him and became the most important in his XI

Anyone not down for the cause can fuck off..... Particularly if they're only pissy cos they're a) expected to work hard or b) not starting.

Hard work is a pre-requisite and if you're not in the team then work harder to prove your worth.

Last edited:
Cheers for these links and excerpts.
I was underwhelmed by the fact he isn't a big name, but the more I read about his style of play the more I think it really suits us if the players buy into it.

But this is exactly what worries me.

There will be a transition period where results will be shaky. At this point, the pressure on Levy from fans will be to sack the manager.
The players may stop working as hard to adjust to his style of play, as they'd be fully aware that the manager has no leverage. A bit like how Ndombele did not bother in training under Mason.
Yeah, honestly if that is his attitude then I'd rather just sell him and any other moaners who don't want to give it their all to be the best they can be. These players are being paid 200k a week, they'll never win anything if they're not willing to actually work for it. This league is very unforgiving to those who are even slightly left behind in fitness.

It would be no different under a Conte - if anything, we said that the best part of Conte would be finally getting rid of the losers who don't have the drive to succeed. I hope Fonseca and Paratici don't give an inch here and if we have to get rid of half our squad and use a bunch of youngsters then fine, if that's what we need for the culture shift.

I think AVB and Poch show the possible ceiling and floor for Fonseca through this perspective. Both had fairly similar styles they wanted from Spurs when they came in. AVB alienated the locker room, couldn't survive. Poch won over the locker room and took us to heights we'd not seen. A lot of that was Poch being able to shift out a lot of the big personalities that refused to buy in and really doomed AVB.

Paratici and Fonseca need to quickly identify and cull any rebels. The old regime is over, and despite bright moments, it ultimately failed. Time to start over, and you're in the boat rowing the right direction or you're out. We're all looking at you, here, Dele.

:deledoubt:

Kinda on-topic:

Whilst I was away I noticed some fan discontent surrounding "rats" and "leaks" during the end of Jose's time.....

Did anything credible surface or was this just meaningless twitter bile seized upon by the 'believe anything negative' element?

Talk of dressing room issues is just utter bo!!ocks..

The notion that outside of Kane and Lloris, our mentally weak powder puff players transpire to cause a lsck of unity is right from the minds of imbeciles.

And that Mourinho and Pochettino before him not being able marginalize any of the so called disruptive bad apple brigade is even more fanciful.

We have clearly had players whose general level of performance has rightly merited comment but we are scraping for reasons for our paucity.

Nothing more than a combination of all the wrong elements at the same time, and now with a complete repair job needed.

Okay, I thought you heard certain rumours and wanted to know if they had been verified.

There was certainly leaks from players complaining about Jose’s training methods not being intense enough. These were credible.

Was the 'who and what' ever established?

I remember Hugo clearly alluding to some cliques forming and locker-room negativity (after Zagreb?)....

The rest was more net chatter from fans along the lines that certain players were undermining Jose and leaking to the press and that there were a grup of "rats" behind it all..... But as is often the case the detaisl were left sketchy in favour of indignant ranting.

Was the 'who and what' ever established?

I remember Hugo clearly alluding to some cliques forming and locker-room negativity (after Zagreb?)....

The rest was more net chatter from fans along the lines that certain players were undermining Jose and leaking to the press and that there were a grup of "rats" behind it all..... But as is often the case the detaisl were left sketchy in favour of indignant ranting.
The only credible leaks about Jose were the one I just mentioned, and that was leaked to The Athletic by some players.
However it’s clear from Lloris’ post Zagreb interview that you mentioned that there are many players who have a terrible attitude.

I have said this before, it is easier following a failed Manager in Mourinho than a successful Manager in Poch. If for example Dele remains out of favour, it is not the Manager but Dele. Same with others out of favour with Mourinho.

Back
Top Bottom