Will player power sink Fonseca?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This, absolutely. It was a watershed moment for the club when Poch did it. Hopefully Fonseca gets the same opportunity.
My fear is some of the players will see themselves as more powerful than Fonseca.
For example, Ndombele is the club's record signing and the highest wage earner. He knows it's a difficult market for Spurs to sell, and they'd have to take a huge loss.
Meanwhile, Fonseca has little support amongst the fans already, and Levy will fire him quickly if under pressure. Potentially a huge imbalance in leverage and power.

My fear is some of the players will see themselves as more powerful than Fonseca.
For example, Ndombele is the club's record signing and the highest wage earner. He knows it's a difficult market for Spurs to sell, and they'd have to take a huge loss.
Meanwhile, Fonseca has little support amongst the fans already, and Levy will fire him quickly if under pressure. Potentially a huge imbalance in leverage and power.
Then fuck them all

To some extent that's just the power dynamic of the modern game, whatever the club (Multi-million £ transfer fees & contracts x 25man squad vs 1 man who's sackable)..... And it stinks.

Most Spurs fans, like me, are underwhelmed at the imminent appointment of Fonseca after the excitement of Conte and Poch links.
Regardless, I hope he succeeds. He is almost an anti-Jose appointment; Fonseca has a mixed record but is known for attacking football which is good to watch.

An attacking style of play based on possession football may actually suit our players (unlike Jose style). We have many talented players who are great on the ball but as a team can be lazy and lethargic off the ball.

My worry is that Fonseca will be undermined by the players because he isn't a marquee appointment. Levy has no reason to be loyal to him, so poor results would lead to him getting the sack quickly. Fans would focus the blame mainly on Fonseca, rather than the squad, as they already don't believe in him.
This means he has almost no leverage with our players. If Fonseca wanted to implement a new strategy requiring the players to work much harder, would they even bother?

Lloris after our Europa exit openly implied that there were many players who didn't give a shit. Hopefully we can get rid of all the bad apples this summer. But our highest paid player, Ndombele, is unlikely to be sold; and Ryan Mason hinted that he didn't put effort into training.

So now, let's back the manager and focus anger on players who don't give their 100%.
Not if he eliminates the rats Sissoko, Wanks, Dier, etc

Then fuck them all

To some extent that's just the power dynamic of the modern game, whatever the club (Multi-million £ transfer fees & contracts x 25man squad vs 1 man who's sackable)..... And it stinks.

Exactly. This is why I think it's important for fans to show they back the manager; perhaps through chants in the stadium and social media. While any players with bad attitude should be put on notice.

Yep, I have the same fear. Hard to see how it will pan out. It seems clear to me that Jose saw the same danger but just went in to ostracise those he thought would be trouble from the get go.

Maybe that original Poch approach would work again; arm round, persevere with them but if they fuck you over (newcastle everyone on the beach) gone.

Anyway, could be a real issue for us if we've truly developed this core of lazy premadonnas.

Yep, I have the same fear. Hard to see how it will pan out. It seems clear to me that Jose saw the same danger but just went in to ostracise those he thought would be trouble from the get go.

Maybe that original Poch approach would work again; arm round, persevere with them but if they fuck you over (newcastle everyone on the beach) gone.

Anyway, could be a real issue for us if we've truly developed this core of lazy premadonnas.
I think we have developed a core of lazy premadonnas.

Not only are Fonseca's training sessions reported to be intense, but his attacking possession-based style of play will require high intensity off the ball movement.
Many players may just go for the easier option of getting this manager sacked rather than put in the hard work required to transition to this manager.

I think we have developed a core of lazy premadonnas.

Not only are Fonseca's training sessions reported to be intense, but his attacking possession-based style of play will require high intensity off the ball movement.
Many players may just go for the easier option of getting this manager sacked rather than put in the hard work required to transition to this manager.
Yeah, all outward signs are we have developed a right paunch in the squad!

Every thing about the second sentence fills me with optimism.

Might have to just bury my head in the sand about the rest and hold onto that thought!

There is going to be a Fonseca honeymoon, I predict

If he bins the players who throw their hands up or storm off down the tunnel when subbed then replaces them with kids it will be a good start in my eyes and he'll have my full support.

If we see the same old boring line ups that we saw under Mason, I'll have to consider if it is worth wasting my time.

Forget the players, man. Over 40% of TFC members either "hate it" or "quit" - he's a goner :levyeyes:

tfw GIF

Back
Top Bottom