Will player power sink Fonseca?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Whoever is causing troubles as to be moved on. Doesn’t matter who’s the manager. The cliques can’t rule the club
On principle, it should be the way. However, right now as we started to acquire few expensive players, it wouldn't be as easy to move them. Soldado was club record but at that time, 27 mil(?) is way too cheap in that climate. Levy could cut the loss, and sell him as other club can afford the cut price, and his affordable wage.

Imagine having to move NDombele (our current club record) now. Beside the cut price which is a significant bigger raw number, finding a club that would afford his wage is tougher. If we're dead on moving him, then we had to eat more loss, and subsidize the wage, thus basically sell him for peanuts compare to what we paid for him.

Our new DOF is rumored among the Juventus fans that in this situational, he's plain bad. Juventus had made some failed expensive signings, and he couldn't find way to solve it. Khedira, Higuain, Douglas Costa situation are prime example, where basically Juventus had to pay to end their contract, as they couldn't sell them to another club. So I wouldn't have my hope up. Really skeptical about appointment of Fonseca which may indicate that it would take time to move on players, as he would be expected to continue to work with majority of this group.

Last edited:
I think some fans are failing to see Fonseca is a coach, yes he will have a say in recruitment but if a player is bought or sold it will be down to Paratici. For me player power and "favourites" ended Poch, I don't think the environment will be the same.

I think some fans are failing to see Fonseca is a coach, yes he will have a say in recruitment but if a player is bought or sold it will be down to Paratici. For me player power and "favourites" ended Poch, I don't think the environment will be the same.
Being different doesn't mean better.

DoF may have different vision for the team than the coach, thus creating conflict of interest. It's quite common. There is very few in the business enjoy relationship like Txiki Begiristain and Pep. Pep couldn't stay at "his club" Barcelona after Txiki Begiristain left. He was not interested to stay longer with Bayern despite the fact Bayern is so dominant in term of recruitment in Germany.

Time will tell with our new DoF. I just don't share the optimism, especially this is also a new experience for him in this role with little money to spend, and he hasn't proven that he knows how to sell well.

The shitness of most of these players will sink him, unless they are replaced. Same thing that ended Poch and Jose -- yes both coaches had their faults, but these players aren't good enough.
Some are though and if we move swiftly to force out the truly god awful five or six then there could be a quick upturn.
I’m looking at you and pointing Sissoko, Aurier, Davies, Winks, Dier etc

Most Spurs fans, like me, are underwhelmed at the imminent appointment of Fonseca after the excitement of Conte and Poch links.
Regardless, I hope he succeeds. He is almost an anti-Jose appointment; Fonseca has a mixed record but is known for attacking football which is good to watch.

An attacking style of play based on possession football may actually suit our players (unlike Jose style). We have many talented players who are great on the ball but as a team can be lazy and lethargic off the ball.

My worry is that Fonseca will be undermined by the players because he isn't a marquee appointment. Levy has no reason to be loyal to him, so poor results would lead to him getting the sack quickly. Fans would focus the blame mainly on Fonseca, rather than the squad, as they already don't believe in him.
This means he has almost no leverage with our players. If Fonseca wanted to implement a new strategy requiring the players to work much harder, would they even bother?

Lloris after our Europa exit openly implied that there were many players who didn't give a shit. Hopefully we can get rid of all the bad apples this summer. But our highest paid player, Ndombele, is unlikely to be sold; and Ryan Mason hinted that he didn't put effort into training.

So now, let's back the manager and focus anger on players who don't give their 100%.
I bet when you see a girl in a club you're already planning for the custody battle...

DoF may have different vision for the team than the coach, thus creating conflict of interest. It's quite common. There is very few in the business enjoy relationship like Txiki Begiristain and Pep. Pep couldn't stay at "his club" Barcelona after Txiki Begiristain left. He was not interested to stay longer with Bayern despite the fact Bayern is so dominant in term of recruitment in Germany.

Time will tell with our new DoF. I just don't share the optimism, especially this is also a new experience for him in this role with little money to spend, and he hasn't proven that he knows how to sell well.
One reason he might have struggled to sell
Players at Juve is because they pay huge wages so none of the other Serie A sides can match their wage, let alone give them a rise. We don’t have that same issue

One reason he might have struggled to sell
Players at Juve is because they pay huge wages so none of the other Serie A sides can match their wage, let alone give them a rise. We don’t have that same issue
Unless we're talking about selling our stars for profit, selling our deadwood is exactly the same. None of the clubs above us would want them, and the clubs below us don't want pay the wage they're on. And another issue is the delusion of grandeur of some of our players mean they don't see themselves taking a step down.

"Any news from Milan?"

Well I guess if its a Paratici choice clealry they have talked and "should" be on the same page, every other DoF (kind of) had no say in the coach, this does seem different.

Unless we're talking about selling our stars for profit, selling our deadwood is exactly the same. None of the clubs above us would want them, and the clubs below us don't want pay the wage they're on. And another issue is the delusion of grandeur of some of our players mean they don't see themselves taking a step down.

"Any news from Milan?"
Not sure I agree with that - agree with not taking a step down but wages of our secondary players could easily fall into the structure of a Villa, Leeds, Palace etc

I don't believe so. If anything, DoF is very influential in appointing coach.
Yeah but what I am saying is regarding our club, our previous directors were appointed after the coach apart from Arnasen which seemed to work. Baldini wasn't really a DoF, more a closer and every other DoF was appointed after the manager.

Lets see the squad at the start of the season (and after the transfer window closes 2 weeks after PL season starts), to figure out which of the poor trainers or performers are in the squad, or indeed other weaknesses in squad.

Don't think we can answer the question as to how Fonseca should cope with the season before knowing that.

Not sure I agree with that - agree with not taking a step down but wages of our secondary players could easily fall into the structure of a Villa, Leeds, Palace etc
I am not expert in every detail of every club, but I would give an example:

From that, none of them earn more than 70k per week. This would mean Dier, Sissoko, Lamela, Lucas... on 80k+ is above them in term of wage. Our secondary players are not worth becoming their new best paid and breaking their wage structure, when they can find similar quality for cheaper elsewhere.

Villa, Palace... may fit them in, but not always, so the point is generally about alternative available for cheaper elsewhere. Why take similar risk with high earner, when you can sign 2 players of similar quality from Italy, France, Germany,Spain...? If it doesn't work out, these clubs would face issue when offloading, as the level below can't afford this kind of wage.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom