Women’s football: World Cup.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The new handball rule - I've worked it out. There's a secret instruction to referees, that if it shouldn't be a penalty they must only award alternate ones.

Why are women goalkeepers so fucking awful?
Shorter and less athletic. They have good technique (see Scotland keeper saves with feet) but they can’t jump for shit, generally (see Scotland keeper trying to punch a corner).

Women’s game is much less aerial focused than the men’s for that reason.

Someone suggested the women’s nets should be smaller earlier in this thread- it’s actually not a bad suggestion (say 7 feet by 7 yards) but it will never happen for a number of reasons.

Shorter and less athletic. They have good technique (see Scotland keeper saves with feet) but they can’t jump for shit, generally (see Scotland keeper trying to punch a corner).

Women’s game is much less aerial focused than the men’s for that reason.

It really is wank.

Why are women goalkeepers so fucking awful?
According to Hedwig Lindahl, who was Chelsea Ladies goalkeeper until the end of this season, it is because almost no resources are put into goalkeeper development. Chelsea's womens team doesn't have a goalkeeping coach apparently. She and the other Chelsea keepers were expected to figure things out themselves.

Scotland have a couple of good players, I like Cuthbert especially, but as a team they are nowhere near England's level. Physically they are getting bullied and can't get out.

Lucy Bronze is very impressive at right back. She is also thicc af.

It really is wank.
It’s a different game, really, and there’s only maybe 3-6 teams worth a damn at any one time.

Right now anyone outside of France, Germany, USA are just another level below. Maybe England could make a claim, with Brazil and Australia , but I don’t those team have a real chance of winning.

Honestly, the match that decides who wins is probably France-USA in the quarters. Which is a shame because that should be the final. It’s going to be massively disappointing for one of those teams.

It’s a different game, really, and there’s only maybe 3-6 teams worth a damn at any one time.

Right now anyone outside of France, Germany, USA are just another level below. Maybe England could make a claim, with Brazil and Australia , but I don’t those team have a real chance of winning.

Honestly, the match that decides who wins is probably France-USA in the quarters. Which is a shame because that should be the final. It’s going to be massively disappointing for one of those teams.
The standard of women's football has gone up incredibly though in the last few years.

Back
Top Bottom