Worst Co-Commentator Award

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I have a theory. The whole world knows that we are probably the most beautiful football club on the planet, but commentators & pundits need to be seen to be impartial, so, subconsciously they overcompensate for their admiration (indeed LOVE and ADMIRATION) for The Spurs, either by making harsh, unfair and often ridiculous comments, or simply ignoring us altogether. It's a form of flattery.

Yes, they're all in denial. Pity them.

Edit - except Dixon - he's a cunt.

Andy Townsend after Bale's first goal today was embarassing even for him. His disappointment when VAR green lit it was shameless.

He got more depressed as the game went on and his slagging off our "shape" and Jose was wishful thinking. The cunt is worse than Beglin and I didnt even think that was possible. Thank fuck Bein have him sucking off Klopp in Dipper games.

He did seem to be quite genned up on Spurs - that would explain it. Must admit I was thinking, "Please shut up" quite a lot.
Definitely wasnt kerr. His voice is pure distinct dublin.
Whoever did the watford game called it 100%. Outraged at our penos not given.
So pro spurs he prob wont get another gig

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/coys/comments/18vensb/phil_blacker_and_efan_ekoku_laughing_at_veliz/

Hilarious, Efan. Is it because he is Spurs or Argentinian?

Why do they always find the most anti Spurs co-commentator for our matches week after week? Beglin, Townsend and for the second time in a week we have Ekoku.

I watched this stream. Couldn't believe it when they joked about it. Earlier in the game when Solanke was down injured, they nearly were putting the flags at half mast

Efan Ekoku gets on my fucking nerves, I stream a lot and he is on the American coverage.

But Neville is the worst for me, he plays a part in creating narratives around teams and players and his opinions hold too much sway in the wider football world, when he is as clueless as any other pundit.
Completely agree with this. Efan Ekoku has zero footballing insight. Everything he says is either clichéd, stating the bleeding obvious, or just plain wrong. But he's far less influential and less biased than Neville for sure.

I liked Andy Grey co-commenting for Sky back in the day. He struck a nice balance of ex-pro insight, a bit of hyperbole/over-excitement, without any clear or obvious biases that are all too common nowadays.

I agree and so do all the knowledgeable women football fans that I know. Including my missus, my mum and Mrs Perryman Mrs Perryman
To be fair, I can't stand nearly all of the commentators, especially the ex-players who co-commentate. What a cushy number! I don't need telling what I'm seeing. The only use they have is to provide a service to people who have problems with their sight.

Paul Gascoigne

Forum Jester
Now that we can only watch footie on the TV, we are cursed with the "expert" helping the commentator understand what is going on !

Before I go onto the main thrust of this thread, I want to commend some who DO add something to the enjoyment. My favourite was Atkinson and Hoddle is always good for extras.

Compare that to ........

Alan Smith - oh look he's kicked the ball there !

Owen Hargreaves - I only state the bleeding obvious !

Steve McManaman - Liverpool are wonderful and I own half the houses there. I don't need the money, just do
this to annoy Everton fans !

These are my top 3 but I'm sure there are others who annoy you more l

Now that we can only watch footie on the TV, we are cursed with the "expert" helping the commentator understand what is going on !

Before I go onto the main thrust of this thread, I want to commend some who DO add something to the enjoyment. My favourite was Atkinson and Hoddle is always good for extras.

Compare that to ........

Alan Smith - oh look he's kicked the ball there !

Owen Hargreaves - I only state the bleeding obvious !

Steve McManaman - Liverpool are wonderful and I own half the houses there. I don't need the money, just do
this to annoy Everton fans !

These are my top 3 but I'm sure there are others who annoy you more l
Not sure if Hoddle dose co-coms anymore (he does the studio stuff). I couldn't stand him on co-coms, he would only emphasis the negative and if he was on a Spurs game it was worse than Smith or Dixon (add him to the list, complete biased cunt), I also found him boring (just an aesthetic thing). Conversely I really like his post match studio stuff.

Andy ”beter” Townsend is repetitive and miss-reads the overall flow it direction of a game, or perhaps more to the point is inconsistent with teams that control the game without the ball.

Jenus & Danny Murphy are pretty good despite them getting a lot of flack, both were better when they first started off than theyvate now, just feel that they’ve become lazy and stopped doing any homework prior to games and sticking with the common narratives.

I'll have to give some serious thoughts about others who are good but struggling to think of someone off the top of my head.

It would be good to have one at least have the balls to disagree with the main commentator.

Oh thought Wilkins was excellent, especially when on Football Italia with Peter Brackley.

To many shite ones to name but Clive Allen is one of the better ones. Covers shall we say some of the lesser games on BT Sport, needs promoting to cover some of the more attractive fixtures.

Back
Top Bottom