Yanited vs Tottenham, Oct 28 2017

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think a win yesterday and I might have said we would make top 2 even though my natural inclination is to say top 4.

It is not the quality of our best 11 but the quality of our best 18 that I worry about. Is there enough belief to overcome a loss of our best players, and that is player and in manager alike?

I get all the arguments on the difficulty of finding a good enough striker to play second fiddle to Kane and Llorente may yet come good but yesterday was a perfect moment for that cameo and it never materialised. My concern at this moment would be if Kane were out for a fifth of our games or if the same happened to Alli or Eriksen. How good would we be or how good do the players think we would be?

No team will have their best players in the best of form and devoid of injuries all the time but the team who's stand-ins add the most value will be the strongest.

I think it is why what a manager says at times in between matches is so important. It is why high praise of individual players can sometimes leave you compromised when they are absent.

Last edited:
Not patronising at all. I think you’re looking for another word. He admitted he didn’t really watch the game, and suggested I only watch 65% of matches which is untrue. Who rattled your cage anyway? :)
I can go for condescending, if that makes you feel better.
My cage is vibration free though Joe, the extra hour in bed helps

:)

How does stating a plain fact automatically make me not a spurs supporter? Yes, my first comment is born out of frustration.. because we totally lacked determination when going forward today imo. But guess what.. I got frustrated because I love this club to bits and really wanted them to win.
Basing your words on my second statement though is just pathetic. Have a look at some top clubs in some other leagues.. Bayern, Dortmund, PSG, Barca, Real, Juventus.... you wouldn't expect them to lose all away games to the top 6 would you? For sure the PL is more even and more competitive in the top 6, but still I think, as team with the ambition to challenge the top place you should not be thinking to probably lose all these games beforehand.

Just my opinion.. if you can't read that kinda stuff without interpreting any kinds of shit into it regarding who I support, I guess you'll have a lot of work in a place lile this..Prick

Mate, you should know by now that if make any comment other a pie in the sky optimistic prediction then you are considered a gooner or a troll. It's almost against the law on here to say anything negative or even realistic. Because I predicted we would lose against Utd I ended up getting a yellow card, when in reality it was pretty obvious we were not going to get anything out of the game. People think I am an idiot for not thinking we will not get top four this season, when in reality it is doubtful. My guess is that most members are 14 year old replica shirt wearing geeks who have never actually been to a game in their very short lives.

I'm not not going to trawl this thread because life's too short, so apologies to the posters who made sensible remarks. I thought we were more than ok in the first half but struggled to get into our groove in the second. We held our own though and unlucky not to come away with a point. Top level football is all about fine margins and we missed out this time. What annoyed me was when the caption came up on the screen regarding what team had scored most goals in the last 10 minutes - 30 seconds later they scored! !!!!! Aaarrggghhh
Spot on Mrs. P!!

Right up to their goal I thought Vertinghen, Toby an especially Dier we’re utterly superb, I thought this was Diers best game he has ever played for us. So,so frustrating to get done with a route one ball from the keeper.

This was about as close a game of football can be. Both side working their butts of to gain an advantage. One side, marginally, showing better quality on the ball, us. Despite that Utd. had, marginally, the better chances.

There were similarities between this game and Madrid game in that both teams might have nicked a win, but a draw was a fair result, the same as yesterday, a draw would have been a fair result.

Mate, you should know by now that if make any comment other a pie in the sky optimistic prediction then you are considered a gooner or a troll. It's almost against the law on here to say anything negative or even realistic. Because I predicted we would lose against Utd I ended up getting a yellow card, when in reality it was pretty obvious we were not going to get anything out of the game. People think I am an idiot for not thinking we will not get top four this season, when in reality it is doubtful. My guess is that most members are 14 year old replica shirt wearing geeks who have never actually been to a game in their very short lives.
You also predict we will lose the vast majority of games we play, come to think of it not sure I’ve ever seen you predict us to win a game!?!?

Another of your classics was Kane and what you thought of him, lol. And more recently your analysis of Winks as a championship player has made you without any argument the biggest bafoon on here, and trust me that takes some doing.

Congratulations on your prediction yesterday though, a clock is right a couple of times a day.

John Thomas John Thomas it’s ok, you don’t have to agree with everyone shitting on us. It’s not a moral duty. You say more with who you agree with than what you actually say. It’s a bit sneaky. Why not admit that the club, and everyone who supports it, is shit?

You bore everyone to death with the ‘biggest club in England’ stuff, but you shit all over the club and the team at every opportunity. Your position is laughable and indefensible.
Fuck off ya twat. Who the fuck are you to start saying who I should agree or fucking disagree with. Fucking Lemon

Actually that's not true
I am 59 and have been a supporter since 1967 and attended my first game in 71 (I lived abroad up til then)

And I think posters like you, irrespective of your support, are a cancer on message boards like this.
You call it pragmatism, or being realistic, but what you fail to understand is that true sports supporters, by definition are massive optimists. People like you are disliked because your version of support is simply the safe way of "backing" the club. An each way bet every time rather than 100% commitment, if I say we're going to lose then I'm happy to be wrong, mentality.
The reason you, mindblown, John Thomas and other so called supporters of your ilk are derided is that you don't possess any real commitment or belief. Spineless support is worthless support, simply hedging your bets under the pseudo-intellectual, footballing cognoscenti banner is just bollocks in most people's view.
Shit or get off the pot, as our colonial cousins are want to say.
Failing that, fuck off and support Real Madrid.

Saw lots of people I didn't recognise in the away end yesterday. Did others that went think that? Maybe with it being quite a low LP tally.

Slightly off topic, but...I was talking to a Man Utd fan (from Manchester but living in London) on the way back, he was explaining the extremely complicated ticketing system for getting tickets to United away games. I still don't quite understand it, but basically it's not done on LPs and is instead done on a ballot, but with one group of people (essentially away season ticket holders) almost certainly getting them. However, a lot of these people sell them on for a big profit, so to get a ticket you need to pay between £70-£200 for a normal away game like Swansea, and £400+ for Liverpool or Man City! And he says you end up with tourists etc in the away end and their away support (which IMO is still good) is getting worse and worse.

They don't seem to have the taboo on selling tickets for above face value that we have. In our away ends you rarely see tourists. Do people on here who go away but not with their own ticket ever have to pay above face value? My impression is it don't happen much with us. It's just wrong. And it seems it will eventually be the downfall of a once formidable away support in Yanited.

Spot on Mrs. P!!

Right up to their goal I thought Vertinghen, Toby an especially Dier we’re utterly superb, I thought this was Diers best game he has ever played for us. So,so frustrating to get done with a route one ball from the keeper.

This was about as close a game of football can be. Both side working their butts of to gain an advantage. One side, marginally, showing better quality on the ball, us. Despite that Utd. had, marginally, the better chances.

There were similarities between this game and Madrid game in that both teams might have nicked a win, but a draw was a fair result, the same as yesterday, a draw would have been a fair result.
Tend to agree with this. You make one mistake and then it's capitalised on, and people remember it is a bad performance/result rather than an excellent one. We could have EASILY lost the game in Madrid in a similar way. E.g. when Winks lost the ball that time in the second half, and they countered.

To be fair I think we did play better in Madrid, and we threatened more going forward, but then again it was a much more defensive game all round yesterday. Goes without saying we missed Kane.

The difference is you predict a loss before every game, so whe. Was the last time you acutally went to a game?

Tend to agree with this. You make one mistake and then it's capitalised on, and people remember it is a bad performance/result rather than an excellent one. We could have EASILY lost the game in Madrid in a similar way. E.g. when Winks lost the ball that time in the second half, and they countered.

To be fair I think we did play better in Madrid, and we threatened more going forward, but then again it was a much more defensive game all round yesterday. Goes without saying we missed Kane.
And a fully fit Dembele, Rose, Lamela and Wanyama.
Mind you, we were also missing a fully fit Greaves, Hoddle, Gascoigne, Klinsmann and Lineker

Spot on fella.

The biggest difference between the two games (Madrid vs Utd) is Madrid had intent to attack, meaning we had more opportunities to attack them.

What team wouldn’t miss Kane but far to much emphasis is on his absence than should be, I believe Kane would have struggled yesterday too.

Realistic?
There are only 3 trophies tp be won in a season + Europe.
The chances of landing a trophy is long.
We can all state the obvious before hand, thats the easy bit. Have you ever predicted a win against the odds-I guess not. Optimism is key when watching football. Never leave before the final whistle even if your 3 nil down with a minute on the clock. Have you ever left early-now be honest?

I WOULD NEVER BET AGINST US REGARDLESS OF THE FIXTURE. Any Spurs fan who predicts a lose is wrong IMO-you must always be optimistic. You never go against the club.

Congratulations on your prediction yesterday though, a clock is right a couple of times a day.

My clock is right 24 hours a day?

Mate, you should know by now that if make any comment other a pie in the sky optimistic prediction then you are considered a gooner or a troll. It's almost against the law on here to say anything negative or even realistic.

It’s the prevalent across all the Spurs message boards unfortunately. Vear from the consensus or express an unpopular viewpoint and the smears will commence. There is a large number of online supporters who clearly only want to hear comfort narratives when it comes to their own club and absolutely have no tolerance for any form of varied discussion.

Last edited:
We have an abysmal record against the top teams away. Unless and until, we do that on a regular basis we will not win the league
No other top club has an away record like that.

I do agree we we have a terrible record away against the top 6, hard to disagree with facts, but to say we will never win the league with such?
Only have to look at Chelsea last season away to the top 6, plus Liverpool had the best record against top 6 and we were points in front of them, loosing yesterday won't have cost us the league, it's the draws at home That will come back to haunt us!
Poch is still building something with the squad and as long as he stays and we keep impvoing we will start to win leagues and cups, we just need to trust and be patient and enjoy the ride!

Back
Top Bottom