"Yid" chanting...

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yid chants, offensive?

• Yes

Votes: 27 7.8%
  • No

Votes: 317 92.2%

• Total voters
In time it will. Who uses the term coloured anymore of poof. There are lots of terms that have disappeared Iin everyday laungage . Removing it does work , it will soon be forgotten.
The terms change but the mindsets don't. The term is just a word. It's just an assortment of noises. That's not what hurts, what hurts is the ignorance and spite of the people using the term.

I don't particularly like the word but there's a few things that shouldn't be denied.

When Spurs fans adopted the 'Yid' badge it was a noble, decent and morally right thing to do. That's why it's very hard to take the criticism for using it. The basis of any argument you read on here is that Spurs have always used the term in a positive way, it's not meant as an insult.

I'm not keen on the current argument, in fact it's a bit like a cold war stand off, 'well we wouldn't have nukes if the other side didn't', well more like 'if they didn't call themselves yids, we would not say all those nasty things about the jews'. That argument does not make as much sense as 'if rival fans decided not to make hissing gas noises, refer to hitler and sing anti-semitic songs at Tottenham fans all the time, may be they would not be so keen to unite themselves under a Jewish banner'.

Even in the Talksport interview, Baddiel is at least honest enough to say that this was born of Chelsea fan's abuse and his intention is to remove it from both sides. I don't agree with his approach but he deserves his say, even if we all collectively feel he should be more concerned about his own club's crimes. I am trying not to defend him, but I heard the interview and I did not feel he came that heavy on us. I don't think he would be any happier if we dropped the 'yid' badge, he'd just discover that rival fans would still use it, to that extent it is deluded to expect Spurs fans to start losing the label first.

The point that is not deluded is that, as I said earlier on this, a long while back, is that you have to accept that if there is no place for race and religion getting involved in sport, the word 'yid' as a positive or a negative both have to go. What Baddiel, the FA, the Black Lawyers & Outside voices don't get is that Spurs fans will decide for themselves if and when they want to lose using 'yid', 33000 people are not going to be told.

Also the idea of bringing law in to it is counter productive and the last time the Metropolitan Police were asked was in 2012 I think and at that point it was not considered a criminal offence, due to the context.

This is a moral argument and really it us who need to decide what's right for us to chant, in the long run I want us to stop using 'Yid' but there is no way I would want that to happen through anything other than our fans deciding it. I personally would never stop anyone at the lane from chanting it.

Tbh I think the aim of the FA is part of the broader one of making football a home for families, corporates and other politically correct people who are bigger consumers in the ground and the shop, who cost less to police or steward, and who won't provoke moral outrage or 'tarnish the game'. As someone said on another forum, "they won't be happy until we clap the other team's goals". If they cared about racism there's obviously other things they could do.

I hope enough people keep singing it, I will be one of them.

Yeah whatever.

We are who we are.

My biggest concern is paying an African. A lot of money. For doing nothing. He is scum.

It sickens me. It almost stops me from going to the lane.

We are not a racist club. Never have been.

The terms change but the mindsets don't. The term is just a word. It's just an assortment of noises. That's not what hurts, what hurts is the ignorance and spite of the people using the term.
Thats the point for me! I guess varying age groups would reflect on certain word meanings differently. When it's used by opposing fans, it derogatory but when we do it's just us? It's not nice when used aggressively and is rightly seen as a Racist comment. There is no reason to use it in return. It's allowing it to happen. In the past individuals would accept certain nicknames to get on, users would say , he doesn't mind, we are not racist, it's just a bit of fun but it was racist. The term reflects Jewish origin. So there is no reason to use it anymore.

Does this all mean my car registration number is now worthless?

uvoq.jpg

Thats the point for me! I guess varying age groups would reflect on certain word meanings differently. When it's used by opposing fans, it derogatory but when we do it's just us? It's not nice when used aggressively and is rightly seen as a Racist comment. There is no reason to use it in return. It's allowing it to happen. In the past individuals would accept certain nicknames to get on, users would say , he doesn't mind, we are not racist, it's just a bit of fun but it was racist. The term reflects Jewish origin. So there is no reason to use it anymore.

I'm going to buy you a bean chiller.

It must be written into AVB's contract, and any subsequent manager, that they have to to change their name to YID by deed poll. Then just show your appreciation in the usual way. :levywhoa:

When it's used by opposing fans, it derogatory but when we do it's just us? It's not nice when used aggressively and is rightly seen as a Racist comment. There is no reason to use it in return
Genuine question. You do understand that the word Yid has been turned into a racist word?

Words like gay or coloured are a good example actually, as people use them every day again now in their CORRECT usage (fair enough gay is used tongue in cheek but still). The point is, it isn't a bad word, it never was and shouldn't be resigned to the scrap heap because of a minority of idiots.

Let's get this straight, within all of the abuse I have heard from West Ham, Chelsea and various other nasty fans, I have very, very rarely heard them use the actual word Yid. Have you? They are usually too busy hissing or singing about Hitler, but not actually using that word. The only time I ever see it is idiots on message boards calling us "dirty Yids" once in a blue moon. So why ban it if the only people actually using it is us?

My solitary tweet directed at Baddiel

Result? Blocked. He'll always cherry pick his moral standing to best suit his argument and that is why I have little time for anything he has to say. If you are going to champion a crusade against "the Y word" then you need to be able to be held accountable for things you have done to raise attention to Spurs' "Jewishness"

Until he does that he can fuck right off

My solitary tweet directed at Baddiel

Result? Blocked. He'll always cherry pick his moral standing to best suit his argument and that is why I have little time for anything he has to say. If you are going to champion a crusade against "the Y word" then you need to be able to be held accountable for things you have done to raise attention to Spurs' "Jewishness"

Until he does that he can fuck right off

We must never forget that he blacked up and ruined Jason lees career in the name of 'comedy'

That shit died, and rightly so, in the 70's. I will not take racial advice from this cunt.

Baddiel came across as very reasonable in that Talk Sport interview. The way people have been attacking him, I thought he would be talking nonsense.

He spent a lot of time in it stressing that Chelsea etc are in no small part to blame, that much is true but as with every other appearance he contradicted himself repeatedly and still took the completely incorrect standpoint that if we stop using it then the abuse stops

Genuine question. You do understand that the word Yid has been turned into a racist word?

Words like gay or coloured are a good example actually, as people use them every day again now in their CORRECT usage (fair enough gay is used tongue in cheek but still). The point is, it isn't a bad word, it never was and shouldn't be resigned to the scrap heap because of a minority of idiots.

Let's get this straight, within all of the abuse I have heard from West Ham, Chelsea and various other nasty fans, I have very, very rarely heard them use the actual word Yid. Have you? They are usually too busy hissing or singing about Hitler, but not actually using that word. The only time I ever see it is idiots on message boards calling us "dirty Yids" once in a blue moon. So why ban it if the only people actually using it is us?

The essence of my argument is , by removing the word we remove our association with the Jewish connection (which we are removed anyway). Then Chelsea and WH or whoever would have no reason to sing about Hitler and hissing. If they were to resort to that kind of abuse, then their actions would be seen as a clear racist taunt, they would have no reason to do it. Why do we need to hang on to a word that incorrectly identifies us as a club and supporters in 2013. You are correct, words do come in and out of fashion and meanings change. but its not the meaning its the association in this case.

Sorry, I think that is deeply naive. If the FA/police had the balls to put their attention on Chelsea and West Ham, they would soon stop.

Let me put this to you. The police have asked us to stop singing songs about Sol Campbell and we have stopped. Is Sol Campbell still a complete cunt? Yes, yes he is, but stop we have, because we were told (and the majority of us knew) it was unacceptable behaviour.

When Baddiel grows some balls and turns on his own fans, we might see some movement .

Anywhere else I may agree but this is primarily Chelsea and West Ham we're talking about. They are only a stage beyond cave paintings, stone tools and dragging women home by their hair
Will will not educate them WH and Chelshite they need to discover how to invent the wheel by them selves. We can only take control of our future.

It's all fairly simple and straight forward from a legal prosecution perspective as it all boils down to intent.

No one will take a single Spurs fan to court because their intention is not racist, it is in fact the opposite.

Let's see the FA with their legal team and their cameras filming the away corner at the forthcoming Chelski and West Ham home games in the next three weeks. This is where the lawyers can make some money.
:levywtf:

Back
Top Bottom