Final home game of the season vs Southampton. 08 May, 1330KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Today was like bland nightmares I occasionally have where I'm trying to do something very simple (like running) but, for whatever reason, can't seem to make it happen. What an utter gash letdown. This season has been very strange. Such highs but the finish is proving to be painful. It's also in danger of being a little embarrassing. That Chavs game has really hit us. No Moussa = major lack of drive, power and energy.

Also, this really was the opportunity to put on a proper display and really celebrate the season - as well as saying goodbye to WHL before she starts to be torn apart. Tottenham Hotspur: you tear me apart, time after time.

There's no excuse for the performance, we put in today, so won't make any up.

I will say this as a reason more than an excuse though, which I don't think has been mentioned much. From a mental perspective it's not really that surprising. It's the easiest thing in the world for us to sit in the stands and/or at keyboards screaming to make sure to finish above Woolwich and give a performance in the final home match. However, after chasing Leicester for what seems forever, with their neverending luck and old school Woolwich-style 1-0's meaning there was no progress in catching up. Then a stupid drop of points against WBA, followed by another against chavs in I'd think a mentally hugely draining match, then it's only human that the lads were deflated and lacking that final 10-20%.

Needed a win TBH but things happen Son did well for his goal he just kept going and going Harry was a bit unlucky at times but saints just keep bouncing back this season.

I am so sad and disappointed at this result. I need to watch the game back, but it was obviously a mental downfall, the Chavs game has had a massive effect on us and I'm not saying they are already in holiday mode, as Poch wouldn't allow that for sure, but it's natural for the players to feel the disappointment of not being able to win the title after a wonderful season. No excuses, but being realistic.
I just hope we get at least a draw against Newcastle. FOR CRYING OUT LOUD, WE NEED A WIN!! THEY'RE AWFUL!!

Can't believe that MOTD2 commentator made nothing of Walker being down with a head injury and the ref not stopping the game. I can't help thinking that had the boot been on the other foot, Sky and the BBC would have at least mentioned it and probably wittered on about it for days.

Can't believe that MOTD2 commentator made nothing of Walker being down with a head injury and the ref not stopping the game. I can't help thinking that had the boot been on the other foot, Sky and the BBC would have at least mentioned it and probably wittered on about it for days.

Clear cut mistake by the ref. Had it happened on Monday, things would have exploded into insane mayhem.

Players aren't fans, they don't bear the scars we do. Even Poch plays down the rivalry - it's just not important to them.
Poch is trying to change the mentality, not of the fans, but the club. We are obsessed by Woolwich, Woolwich are obsessed with us. I know the club (directors, Management) are obsessed with Woolwich. If as a club all we want to do is finish above Woolwich than that translates to us finishing 3rd, he wants us to win a League. He is basically saying to the club focusing on these cunts will limit our ambitions. Same as going for 4th.
Having written this I think I might of missed your point but fuck it will post it anyway.

Definitely I know Poch has come out and said we shouldn't worry about Woolwich but this voodoo 20 or so years hangs round our neck, if we can never finish above Woolwich how are we supposed to win the league.

Far I am concerned if we fall now it will be almost the same as Redknapp and the mind the gap shit. We will be embrassed - AGAIN.

People who say well we didn't expect top 4 that's not the point if we where 7th then yeh fine but we are 2nd and 2nd place is in our hands, to me 2nd and above the gooners is a good prize.

For me it will put a massive black mark on a great season and that's a shame.
He is not telling us fans, he is telling the Club. He knows all about derbies and rivalrys and what it means to the fans, he has acknowledges this before every time we play one. That's my take, anyway.

Poch is trying to change the mentality, not of the fans, but the club. We are obsessed by Woolwich, Woolwich are obsessed with us. I know the club (directors, Management) are obsessed with Woolwich. If as a club all we want to do is finish above Woolwich than that translates to us finishing 3rd, he wants us to win a League. He is basically saying to the club focusing on these cunts will limit our ambitions. Same as going for 4th.
Having written this I think I might of missed your point but fuck it will post it anyway.

He's saying he's not interested in local rivalry. He thinks it's small time to worry about the people down the road. I get it. But he is telling the fans. Don't make that mistake.

He's thinking 'I and the team have delivered a CL group stage qualification' something most of us thought impossible this season. He won't be worried too much about what woolwich do.

i think they focused on winning the league, not Woolwich. They fell well short & are now in danger of finishing behind them.

If anything, focusing on winning the title has hindered us.
We were over pumped up for a few games like the chavs.

& as it got more & more clearer we couldnt win the title, our performances have dropped off.

Realistically we will hardly ever challenge for the title.
So if we focus on that every season, then by easter most seasons we will be out the title race anyway.

He's saying he's not interested in local rivalry. He thinks it's small time to worry about the people down the road. I get it. But he is telling the fans. Don't make that mistake.
I'll have to disagree with you here mate. Before every derby we play against the scum he hits all the right notes for me in his pre-match blurb, he has never dismissed what it means for the fans, quite the opposite in fact. To the point that I can't ever recall a manager previous that gets it as much as him. I recall people saying the same on here.
He is also trying to defuse the media heaping the pressure on, for a final game show down. He has done post match intervies for all the media outlets today, the have all said the same thing about us finishing above them and how great that is blah, blah. He doesn't want to talk about the scum, he wants to talk about us. I'm more than OK with that. In fact can you emagine him coming out saying Woolwich is all I think about, he came out and said he doesn't care about them, I like that. Nothing changes how we feel about it though, why would it? It's been in us since kids.

i think they focused on winning the league, not Woolwich. They fell well short & are no in danger of finishing behind.
If anything, focusing on winning the title had hindered us. & as it got more & more clearer we couldnt win the title, our performances have dropped off.

Realistically we will hardly ever challenge for the title.
So if we focus on that every season, by easter most seasons we will be out the title race anyway.

We challenged for it this year. Better than any team apart from the winners, who were Leicester. You say 'realistically' but look who won it. We have a great team, there is nothing to say we can't challenge next year - nothing at all.

anything, focusing on winning the title had hindered us. & as it got more & more clearer we couldnt win the title, our performances have dropped off.
I disagree. I think that having the desire to try and chase Leicester put us in a position where, even with the wheels coming off against West Brom (where we were unlucky rather than poor), and dropping points for three games in a row - we still find ourselves with second place in our own hands.

We may be anxious about the final day, but it's a far cry from praying for an unlikely Woolwich loss to drag ourselves into the top 4.

We challenged for it this year. Better than any team apart from the winners, who were Leicester. You say 'realistically' but look who won it. We have a great team, there is nothing to say we can't challenge next year - nothing at all.
yeah u get freak seasons like this every 25 or so years.
I dont think leicester will get anywhere close to winning it next year.

I think this was our best chance.
& it will be a lot tougher next season.

We could play better next season but finish lower in the league. I think we will have to be better just to stay where we are.

I'll have to disagree with you here mate. Before every derby we play against the scum he hits all the right notes for me in his pre-match blurb, he has never dismissed what it means for the fans, quite the opposite in fact. To the point that I can't ever recall a manager previous that gets it as much as him. I recall people saying the same on here.
He is also trying to defuse the media heaping the pressure on, for a final game show down. He has done post match intervies for all the media outlets today, the have all said the same thing about us finishing above them and how great that is blah, blah. He doesn't want to talk about the scum, he wants to talk about us. I'm more than OK with that. In fact can you emagine him coming out saying Woolwich is all I think about, he came out and said he doesn't care about them, I like that. Nothing changes how we feel about it though, why would it? It's been in us since kids.

Fair enough, I think he is paying lip service to the fans, and I don't blame him. Let's be honest, a large section of our home fans are shit. There's a reason our away record is better than our home.

Back
Top Bottom