Come here to laugh at Citeh

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Things like poppies should be a personal choice. The screaming pitchfork waving types who go on Twitter to shame folk on telly who aren't wearing one for the entirety of October strike me as people who probably don't actually know what the Poppy Appeal was set up to do. It's come uncomfortably close in recent years to promoting nationalism and celebrating war, the basic opposite of its intention.

Things like poppies should be a personal choice. The screaming pitchfork waving types who go on Twitter to shame folk on telly who aren't wearing one for the entirety of October strike me as people who probably don't actually know what the Poppy Appeal was set up to do. It's come uncomfortably close in recent years to promoting nationalism and celebrating war, the basic opposite of its intention.
An old article, but a lot of its points are still relevant
This year, I will wear a poppy for the last time | Harry Leslie Smith

If they are only just ‘good’, and we are 20 points behind them.....
Maybe if we had the continuity of WHL from the get go plus factor in our forced rotation through injury on last season’s stalwart Wanyama then that 20 points gap could have comfortably in single figures if not equalled.

I also have little time for those who want to enforce wearing the poppy, it should be a matter of individual choice. For the first time last year I didn't wear one as I think the public meaning of remembrance has shifted somewhat in recent years - I remember when it was a couple of days, not a month-long 'remembrance season'.

It does depend on the person wearing it though, we should remember not everyone wearing a poppy is a paid up member of the fire and pitchfork brigade.

Maybe if we had the continuity of WHL from the get go plus factor in our forced rotation through injury on last season’s stalwart Wanyama then that 20 points gap could have comfortably in single figures if not equalled.

IMHO we'd be closer by 7/8 points. Don't get me wrong city are obviously are very good team, I just question whether they are that good, and certainly if they are the 'best team in premier league history' ( (c) Match of the Day). Remember, the pundits have a product to sell.

It does depend on the person wearing it though, we should remember not everyone wearing a poppy is a paid up member of the fire and pitchfork brigade.

Oh definitely. I don't think everyone wearing one is like that, certainly not. People have their personal reasons to wear one (as it should be), but that gets lost when the attitude is "Everyone must wear this, no excuses." It stops having any meaning with real thought behind it then.

Personally I stopped when people like Michael Gove decided that WW1 was actually a good thing and we should all start celebrating what happened during it. I'm never going to get on board with that view. It's always going to be the pointless deaths of millions of adolescents to me. A horror that we need to keep reminding ourselves of in the hope it won't be repeated.

Oh definitely. I don't think everyone wearing one is like that, certainly not. People have their personal reasons to wear one (as it should be), but that gets lost when the attitude is "Everyone must wear this, no excuses." It stops having any meaning with real thought behind it then.

Definitely, the enforcement of the poppy in recent years speaks to the growth of a certain sort of civic nationalism which will probably get worse after we've Brexit-ed.

I always wear a poppy, just a little way of showing respect to those that died protecting our freedom from tyranny.

I also respect those that do not wear one as surely that freedom of choice was why all those lives were lost.

Funnily enough my grandad, who fought out in the far East never wore one. He just wanted to forget about it all.

The only time he ever mentioned it was when I turned 21 and he said he spent his 21st in a foxhole pinned down by a Japanese sniper.

I always wear a poppy, just a little way of showing respect to those that died protecting our freedom from tyranny.

I also respect those that do not wear one as surely that freedom of choice was why all those lives were lost.

Funnily enough my grandad, who fought out in the far East never wore one. He just wanted to forget about it all.

And that, my friend, I can completely respect. Everyone's got their own reasons for wearing one - or not.

I just think the further we get from the war the bigger the space for distortion. As you say people involved in the world war(s) of course knew from first-hand experience how dreadful they were and generally don't want to harp on endlessly about them.

I always wear a poppy.I wear the little all year round one as well.
If someone chooses not to,it's their choice .They have their reasons.They certainly won't get a hard time off of me,unless they give me hard time for wearing one(which i don't recall happening since the 80s).
Whilst i also hate the way its been politicized over the last 10 years(or maybe longer) i will still wear one.

Oh come on. How the fuck can you be in tears after that?! (OK, young kids maybe). Yes, it's disappointing, but grown bloody adults balling like babies because you lost a home game (which essentially has no bearing on anything) is fucking pathetic. Heaven forbid if such people experience real tragedy in their lives - I honestly don't know how they'd cope.

Back
Top Bottom