Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The best managers know how to balance it. Or at least have the balls and self belief to try and incorporate youth and not just buy the best each time.

It would be sad if we didn’t see another Kane, Bale, Alli etc come through as a youngster and make a shirt their own.
Agreed. But you just quoted 3 world class players

And I guess that is my point

The youngsters have now got to be that good that even as young players they are way ahead

Again Sanchez could well turn out to be a world class defender ... so even at a young age he is outperforming

We are not thrashing out 5th or 6th

Points dropped is a title lost

And using “fact” when saying laying at the World Cup makes you quality? Saudi Arabia amongst others don’t agree.

Fact is he’s not Saudi Arabian so I don’t know what that’s got to do with him?

Colombia are a well respected international team and at 21/22 he’s a starter for them.

Same age I think Toby was playing RB for Belgium.

So the fact he is gaining this experience on the world stage in a World Cup tournament can only be a good thing for him and our club surely.

NIELSEN5.jpg

Agreed. But you just quoted 3 world class players

And I guess that is my point

The youngsters have now got to be that good that even as young players they are way ahead

Again Sanchez could well turn out to be a world class defender ... so even at a young age he is outperforming

We are not thrashing out 5th or 6th

Points dropped is a title lost

Yeah I can understand that viewpoint.

But I don’t think anybody thought Sanchez would replace Toby this past season yet he stepped in and we remained unbeaten for a very long time.

He’s only going to get better and Toby will only get older.

However much people want us to be City or United the reality is we are not playing in the same ballpark as them when it comes to transfers and wages.

We have to do it differently.

Yeah I can understand that viewpoint.

But I don’t think anybody thought Sanchez would replace Toby this past season yet he stepped in and we remained unbeaten for a very long time.

He’s only going to get better and Toby will only get older.

However much people want us to be City or United the reality is we are not playing in the same ballpark as them when it comes to transfers and wages.

We have to do it differently.
Yeah I understand the tenets that form our method all Im saying is the more successful we become the more acute mistakes become and age can't be used as a condition for allowing them at this high level

Yeah I understand the tenets that form our method all Im saying is the more successful we become the more acute mistakes become and age can't be used as a condition for allowing them at this high level

We will agree to disagree!

I look at someone like De Gea and think that was a good signing for United. He was by no means the finished article when they signed him.

I want us to have the balls to do stuff like that. And Sanchez for me falls into that type of category.
Young, not cheap. But you can see potential to be one of the best.

We will agree to disagree!

I look at someone like De Gea and think that was a good signing for United. He was by no means the finished article when they signed him.

I want us to have the balls to do stuff like that. And Sanchez for me falls into that type of category.
Young, not cheap. But you can see potential to be one of the best.
Again de gea was the standout talent of his generation

He wasn't a find ... he was known to be a brilliant young keeper

Every example you've given is a world class player

Which again backs up my point that young players to succeed have now got to be exceptional to cut it at the level we are now operating

Im not sure there is a huge amount to disagree with on such a simple observation

Sanchez did not replace Toby last season as they were both playing in the team before the injury. We changed the system as we did not have a good enough replacement to continue playing 3 at the back. There is debate as to when Toby was fit enough to return as Toby believes it was much earlier than Poch. However Poch decided to keep to playing 4 at the back and said Toby was not ready.
I do not see that Sanchez has anything to do with Toby leaving and with different systems and 2 matches a week, there is a need for both. Toby may well be sold but let's keep Sanchez out of the discussion as he is here to stay and will get plenty of game time whatever happens. He may actually benefit from the odd rest which did not happen last season when Toby was injured.

Last edited:
Toby is one of the top 3 CBs at the club, and the club want to keep him and have offered him a new deal. But if he's being advised he deserves a better deal than Jan, and won't sign unless he's offered a deal similar to Sergio Ramos/Dick Van Dyke (and double Gerard Pique) then what options do the club have?

Sanchez did not replace Toby last season as they were both playing in the team before the injury. We changed the system as we did not have a good enough replacement to continue playing 3 at the back.

That's actually not true - we started the season playing 2 at the back for the first 3 matches, and we looked awful and leaked goals. Sanchez was then introduced into the side and we switched at 3 at the back to provide pace and athleticism and then never left the team. It was telling everyone thought Toby would play in the middle of the 3, but Sanchez went directly there.

We returned to 2 at the back when Toby got injured and looked far better with Sanchez/Verts than we did with Toby/Verts to start the season, so Toby never got his place back. The reality is that with us playing with 2 "lesser" athletes at fullback/wingback ... we cannot have 2 slow CB's as well. With Toby/Verts we simply have no pace at the back at all (see: Leicester City match to end the season, which was the worst defensive performance I have seen under Pochettino) and get cut open far too easily.

It's a bit crazy to me that Poch made it clear with his team selections from basically the beginning of the season that Sanchez was an absolutely integral part of our defence and Toby was not any longer, and fans still have not caught onto that. Toby's loss of pace combined with the loss of Walker means that he simply cannot play in a 2 with Trippier to his right in our system. That's why Sanchez was bought for a club record fee, and why he just got a bumper new 6 year contract.

I would also note - if we bought a pacey, athletic right sided fullback/wingback (who wasn't a catastrophe waiting to happen like Aurier) then Toby's value to Spurs increases.

Back
Top Bottom