Newcastle (A) 11 August

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yes that is true but this is not a popularity contest and l really stand by those points.
You’ll never be happy Fidel. As you know damn well we’ve gone from mid-table mediocrity to regular CL participants. Only you and JT could see this as a backward step. You don’t even have a point. I know you don’t support Spurs in any meaningful sense, but your constant criticism of Spurs is bordering on goonerism. You have many properties and you can’t help but boast about them. The only reason I know this is because you tell the forum every week, yet you still style yourself as a communist - what an absolute joke. In 4 and a half years I’ve yet to come across a more capitalist bastard than you.

“No thieves, no traitors, no interventionists” indeed. I don’t know how you can live with your hypocrisy you properly owning wanker. You’re an arrogant arse with an ego problem, naively believing your a decent bloke. Personally I’d swerve your ‘holiday homes’ all day long. You come over as a terrifying landlord or dictator, but your willingness to suck up to those you are fleecing is nauseous.

Last edited:
You’ll never be happy Fidel. As you know damn well we’ve gone from mid-table mediocrity to regular CL participants. Only you and JT could see this as a backward step. You don’t even have a point. I know you don’t support Spurs in any meaningful sense, but your constant criticism of Spurs is bordering on goonerism. You have many properties - you can’t help but boast about them. The only reason I know this is because you tell the forum every week, yet you still style yourself as a communist - what an absolute joke. In 4 and a half years I’ve yet to come across a more capitalist bastard than you.

“No thieves, no traitors, no interventionists” indeed. I don’t know how you can live with your hypocrisy you properly owning wanker.
Hey Joe , where you going with that gun in your hand .
Your likable but you seem to have a total chip on your shoulder , even obsession as you keep mentioning property 20 times more than me . Inadequate maybe or lunacy or sadly a pompous dickhead.

Hey Joe , where you going with that gun in your hand .
Your likable but you seem to have a total chip on your shoulder , even obsession as you have keep mentioning property 20 times more than me . Inadequate maybe or lunacy or sadly a pompous dickhead.
I’m not the one pretending to be a communist whilst boasting about my property portfolio. The only reason I know about that is because you can’t help telling people everyday. Your ego gets the better of you every time - so much so that you can’t even see the hypocrisy.

And yeah, I must be a pompous dickhead for having the temerity to point this out. I’ve got no problem with you, but drop the communist bollocks. You’re just making yourself look like a tit.

You could never be so wrong .
Life should not be full of bitterness.
It was your bitterness I was responding to. I’m not bitter in the slightest, as has been reflected in my posts. I enjoy watching Spurs in tight games, I love it when it’s close - it’s nerve wracking and you feel it in the stomach - it makes me feel alive. So many would prefer not to watch the match at all and just tick off the win when they access LiveScore thereby avoing all the emotion. I mean you couldn’t have watched the game yesterday - you’re so busy so where did you watch to inform your opinion?

Ok Fidel Castro Fidel Castro we’re shit. I won’t bother you in future. Anyway, fuck Spurs, I’m going water skiing again. I recommend you take an equally light hearted attitude to Spurs results this season. I mean there’s nothing you can do about it is there? Have a nice Sunday, and enjoy your whopping roast.

Cheers.

It was your bitterness I was responding to. I’m not bitter in the slightest, as has been reflected in my posts. I enjoy watching Spurs in tight games, I love it when it’s close - it’s nerve wracking and you feel it in the stomach - it makes me feel alive. So many would prefer not to watch the match at all and just tick off the win when they access LiveScore thereby avoing all the emotion. I mean you couldn’t have watched the game yesterday - you’re so busy so where did you watch to inform your opinion?
I understand your point about watching Spurs. Football is also about entertainment personally for me not just the result . If l wanted results over style l would follow "The Sour ones" boring Manure.
In my eyes ( not everyone's) it was a piss poor performance and a lucky win considering they hit the bar twice, opened us up on occasions. Yes it's a rollercoaster and on the edge but that's not everything in my book.
It has been very enjoyable your personal banter ,as we will always disagree how we feel the how club is run at a higher level and you will always have a continual attacks on what l do for a living and my silly not so serious avatar. Joe you have a pattern , a little rage then gradual come down.
No doubt you are very talented , very popular, have the best name on the forum and a far more worthy member than me but l will not be shouted down in what l think.

Enjoy your water sports and Sunday dinner .
( just listing to "bonny and Clyde" by Gains/Bardot know that is a high )

We played well first half . 2nd half got to say they could and maybe should have made it 2-2 .

Got to say tho the atmosphere from the Newcastle fans was shocking . I was expecting a lot more from there fans . We sung for 90mins . Now of out into the toon to celebrate. COYS
Just like you lot are disappointed with the window, so are we, but overall you must be pleased with the quality of players at your club, and the remarkable strides you've made in a relatively short time? We've gone backwards for a decade. Where once we were regularly playing in Europe, regularly making exciting signings and always striving for more, now Ashley has us regularly flirting with relegation, regularly making underwhelming signings and never striving for anything greater than survival.

Where once we were rivalling the best of English clubs, now we "can't compete" with Southampton and have the biggest net profit in the league.

All that probably explains the sub-optimum atmosphere. Also, up in the gods, the atmosphere will always sound a bit crap, we don't sing up at you lot, we sing down at the pitch.

Thought we were good for a point and but for millimeters of paint or space we would have got it. Think if we'd started a professional footballer instead of whatever Joselu is, we'd had caused an unusually nervy back line proper problems.

Hope you had a top night out in Newcastle.

Just like you lot are disappointed with the window, so are we, but overall you must be pleased with the quality of players at your club, and the remarkable strides you've made in a relatively short time? We've gone backwards for a decade. Where once we were regularly playing in Europe, regularly making exciting signings and always striving for more, now Ashley has us regularly flirting with relegation, regularly making underwhelming signings and never striving for anything greater than survival.

Where once we were rivalling the best of English clubs, now we "can't compete" with Southampton and have the biggest net profit in the league.

All that probably explains the sub-optimum atmosphere. Also, up in the gods, the atmosphere will always sound a bit crap, we don't sing up at you lot, we sing down at the pitch.

Thought we were good for a point and but for millimeters of paint or space we would have got it. Think if we'd started a professional footballer instead of whatever Joselu is, we'd had caused an unusually nervy back line proper problems.

A draw would have been a fair result . I feel for you having such an odious owner . A parasite who has sucked the soul out of the club.
I'm surprised you haven't rebelled/protested far more aggressively as nothing will be resolved while he stays .
An observation, many of the supporters were highly overweight,
May be comfort in food has led to apathy .
Good luck .

The first game was a 'must win' for us, there are plenty of media outlets, rubbing their hands at the prospect of Spurs losing because it does rather give them the opportunity to have a pop at us for not signing anyone.

We got lucky in the second half but did manage to create a few chances of our own and once Son was on harrying the defensive line and Moussa Dembele steadied the midfield it seemed we had done enough to get it over the line.

If this was 10 games in, I'd be worried and say we don't look sharp enough and we're off the pace, this is the first game and we've made mistakes that thankfully haven't cost us. Newcastle were brighter than us at times and attacked well but we did have that quality to see us through, we even scored from a corner, did we even manage that last season??

Aurier could be an excellent right winger but as a defender, he has the wrong temperament and Poch either needs to get him to calm down and not jump in or cultivate his abilities as an attacker, for all his faults we know he can cross. Sissoko is a frustrating one but right at this moment I am not sure we have any viable alternatives, I'd prefer Dembele but I am not sure he has the fitness to start and play 90 minutes. The fact is that neither Aurier or Sissoko prevented us from winning yesterday.

I've seen some flack for Sanchez for letting Joselu go, firstly we made the cross to easy to execute and secondly Sanchez was key in the first goal and made a couple of decent interceptions in the second half. I saw earlier that some were saying Toby should have played, I think the world of Toby but Jan and Sanchez played at centre back for most of last season and earned their places.

This is early days, we have started with points on the board and have earned another week without being castigated for not signing anyone. I was talking to a pal who has no Spurs affiliations and he was saying he wants us to do well if only to prove the point that you don't need to spend hundreds of millions every transfer window to succeed. Obviously we're nowhere near proving that point but it would be quite something if we did.

Just watched the highlights on MOTD

Delighted with result if not performance

I thought we deserved to win but a bit laboured which is only to be expected first game

Ian Wright quite correct in highlighting Sanchez ball watching for their goal

Get Toby back in so Sanchez can learn

I think we were lucky to escape with a win. Bar and post saved us, some key saves and scrambling clearances. We needed to get Toby on and into a back 3 so we could make it 5 when they countered us. We always seemed over run when we lost the ball anywhere on the pitch. no point in keeping Toby if we don't use him to tighten it up at the back. European window still open so he might leave. But without a replacement already bought, it would be bad business. Make a decision poch/levy.

I didn't think your support was that bad. Home atmosphere is dead in the prem anyway, except for Huddersfield and anyone who's got a derby/big game. Even Huddersfield's support will get worse if they survive a few more seasons. I applauded you lot when you were singing "you fat cockney bastard, we want you to go" at the end, what a cunt he is.

Always enjoy a trip up to Newcastle.

I think we were lucky to escape with a win. Bar and post saved us, some key saves and scrambling clearances. We needed to get Toby on and into a back 3 so we could make it 5 when they countered us. We always seemed over run when we lost the ball anywhere on the pitch. no point in keeping Toby if we don't use him to tighten it up at the back. European window still open so he might leave. But without a replacement already bought, it would be bad business. Make a decision poch/levy.

Totally agree with you about Toby

Yesterday highlighted his worth

Love Sánchez but not quite there yet and has a lot to learn

The way the press is going on you’d have thought we lost 6-0

They keep on saying we were lucky not to lose - given that Newcastle only had two shots on target it was actually impossible for us to lose.

They count shots hitting the post / bar as being 'almost goals'......a shot that hits the post is a miss, just like one that hits the corner flag is.

Last edited:
They keep on saying we were lucking not to lose - given that Newcastle only had two shots on target it was actually impossible for us to lose.

They count shots hitting the post / bar as being 'almost goals'......a shot that hits the post is a miss, just like one that hits the corner flag is.

Both teams had 15 shots at goal, they had 2 on target and we had 5 so I don't really know where this whole we were lucky to lose thing came from, seeing as they only scored one and would have to had scored a further 2 on top of that to have got to within a hope in hells chance of that happening.

There's always something people will pick holes in, either we didn't sign a player, Harry Kane didn't play well at the WC even though he walked away with the prestigious Golden Boot, he don't score in August blah blah blah, it's alll just noise thrown together by either perfectionist Spurs fans, journalists that don't know their arsehole from their elbow when it comes to balancing on field and off field goings on at the club or snidey opposition fans trying to get into people's heads. I mentioned in a previous post that since 2000, Woolwich have had to sell or move on 20 of their top class starts to balance books, with the majority of them in the last 12 months of their contract at the time of moving. If they had to manage their funds with the larger fan base they have globally &a with the extra revenue from continuous Champions League revenue streaming in up until recently, we certainly have to think of our money the same. Signing up the nucleus of the team to long term contracts is superb news, it's not the same as other big clubs that do so under our circumstances

Back
Top Bottom