Manchester United @ Old Trafford (Mon 27 Aug)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

They looked good for the first 30 mins. But on 35 mins for the first time they held off and allowed us to play the ball around the back. At that point I was hoping they had blown themselves out. This is a team that for 2 years has been sitting back and hitting teams on the break. They go 1-0 up then shut up shop. But you can't just switch on a high energy pressing game and keep it going for long if that's not what you're trained for.

I imagine Maureen's tactics were OK. Let's get the goal in the first half, then stifle Spurs. We'll possibly get a 2nd on the break with Spurs pushing up for the equaliser. 1-0 or even 2-0 job done. But if you're going to play like that you need to take the lead or you can get completely stuffed.

I do love how they are in full blown crisis mode now after losing only 2 games in a row. Fucking lol.

Would it be crisis had Citeh beaten them instead, or is it such a shock losing to us and getting battered no less at home, that is what has triggered this crisis talk?

Got to love the commentators making out Maureen is at a tinpot club with a mere £42k transfer budget, like he is really hard done by not getting enough players. Comedy central ffs.

Long may it continue!
I think it is fair enough for him to be criticised, if you're gonna play that crappy football then you got to get results. First two seasons he didn't win a PL or CL - Mourinho is a short term manager and has been backed with a lot of money up until this season. Not winning either of those two titles in his first seasons already put him on thin ice. This season he's made excuses, actually not had too many players go deep in the world cup compared to us or City, then considered six in two games despite playing negative football. Man United are along with Real Madrid the biggest club in the world so not acceptable for them. I don't think the media are taking it easy on him they are actually going in on him to be fair. An example of his failings was seen today. A couple goals down, one of the most talented English youngsters in Marcus Rashford on the bench - instead of bringing him on they bring on Fellaini and lump it long. If you're gonna play like that at United you need instant results and success.

DloabDjW0AAatzV.jpg

762cbd9275d6a725131a1a2fa1bb4ed0.gif

I actually though Jose got his tactics spot on in the first half. They were overloading in wide areas so or FBs couldn't get forward to cause damage. Beating the press with cute switches of play knowing dier and dembele aren't mobile enough to get over and cover. Their pressing was good too.

The end result was more thanks to Poch seemingly bringing out a bit more confidence from our boys at half time to play their game. It so easily could have gone to the usual script if lukaku scores that 1 on 1 but the gods were smiling on us yesterday.

So, have I missed the party? :kanegoal:

Actually was a nervous wreck for the first half - really worried with the way we started, far too hectic and didn't play our game. That Rose backpass...

But all's well that ends well. Got the result, despite perhaps not playing our best, but nice to give United a taste of their own medicine.

Mourinho's tactics were fine. His players played well. We are simply the stronger team, and bigger club.
They were gutsy in the beginning. Plucky. But over time the big club always triumphs.

They can't bin Jose for this. Would we have binned Gerry Francis for losing three nil to a side like our one?

Many have discussed the good, anyone want to delve into the bad?

Rose looked poor. Aurier, I'm sorry, but he's just a dumb bloke. Dier is still someone I can never decide on.

Who you think did great/poor?
Rose started really poorly, but improved a lot in the second half, but I think a lot of that was down to lack of playing time. Aurier is a turkey.

Many have discussed the good, anyone want to delve into the bad?

Rose looked poor. Aurier, I'm sorry, but he's just a dumb bloke. Dier is still someone I can never decide on.

Who you think did great/poor?

Some of our passing in the first half was so bad. It was almost like we were surprised Utd started as fast as they did and pressed us as much as they did so instead of simple passes we were looking for a 25 yard curler to Kane or Lucas. Almost all passes down the line were intercepted or went out.

Rose's back pass was just embarrassing and was frequently out muscled by Valencia. Dier had a few bad moments too (like when he was 30 yards out with a few passes on and he just stood there).

Eriksen also had a quiet night with a few wayward passes.

Other than that, Lucas was outstanding, As were Moose, Vertonghen and Toby (although he had a few suspect moments he recovered well). Kane's header was a thing of beauty. 2nd half we were sharper and had their backline rattled.

I thought second half dele and moura bullied them

Their pace and persistence was driving that back line to despair

Jones pulled up. Smalling couldn't hack it . Herrera subbed. Lindelof rabbit in headlights

Just a gentle reminder:

I think we have a revolutionary new strategy.

It won’t be noticed by the masses for another two years, but here’s how it works.
If a club doesn’t sign anyone in January, then it means nothing. But it’s a big issue if not activity occurs in the summer.

However, if January signings are not panic buys, and are instead planned purchases with a view to first team expectations after the summer then surely that would be better than buying at all in the summer. Simply make planned, well considered additions in January. Save the summer for replacements only in the event of an important player departure.

Lucas Moura is the perfect example of this. He is having a wonderful pre season and looks like a £100m player.

No other club is taking the Moura approach. Given that Poch likes to give youth a chance and that Winks will be back with other starlets waiting in the wings, there’s no point in buying a centre mid. Poch is bold. He is trusting youth in that area.

Toby hasn’t gone, and he might not go. Time will tell.

Kane needs a back up, something more potent than Llorente. But this kind of player is extremely difficult to find and attract. You essentially looking for a player good enough to be first choice in nine out of ten top flight clubs, and then you want him to play second fiddle.

Long live the Moura approach. I hope we sign nocunt, not even Super John McGinn who has decided to go global this year and fuck up ever obscure opponent the marauding Hibees get drawn against. Wonders never cease.

Some of our passing in the first half was so bad. It was almost like we were surprised Utd started as fast as they did and pressed us as much as they did so instead of simple passes we were looking for a 25 yard curler to Kane or Lucas. Almost all passes down the line were intercepted or went out.

Rose's back pass was just embarrassing and was frequently out muscled by Valencia. Dier had a few bad moments too (like when he was 30 yards out with a few passes on and he just stood there).

Eriksen also had a quiet night with a few wayward passes.

Other than that, Lucas was outstanding, As were Moose, Vertonghen and Toby (although he had a few suspect moments he recovered well). Kane's header was a thing of beauty. 2nd half we were sharper and had their backline rattled.
I know. Objectively, we didn't play that well. For this reason I rejoice. Fuck me man, if that's us in eco mode, I can't wait for us to flick the switch.

Hello everyone.....how are you all today?

I was just wondering how the many many fans who all slated the club off just a mere three weeks ago are doing?

I hope a little piece of you didn’t die last night.
First Poch, then Dier (remember him saying how the squad can’t wait to “shut up” our doubters), now Kane, all talking about building, not buying.

Remember when we going to fail miserably?
We were a joke?
The club had shit on the fans?
Hahahahaha look at Spurs....

Remember when some of you agreed?

How cringeworthy and predictable that you now want to jump on the bandwagon.

Oh! So now you want Moura and not Martial?

Well done there.....good to see you backing the club when it’s all good. Anyone seen that Carlito fella recently?

DOH!

:kaneear:

Hello everyone.....how are you all today?

I was just wondering how the many many fans who all slated the club off just a mere three weeks ago are doing?

I hope a little piece of you didn’t die last night.
First Poch, then Dier (remember him saying how the squad can’t wait to “shut up” our doubters), now Kane, all talking about building, not buying.

Remember when we going to fail miserably?
We were a joke?
The club had shit on the fans?
Hahahahaha look at Spurs....

Remember when some of you agreed?

How cringeworthy and predictable that you now want to jump on the bandwagon.

Oh! So now you want Moura and not Martial?

Well done there.....good to see you backing the club when it’s all good. Anyone seen that Carlito fella recently?

DOH!

:kaneear:
Remember the supporters' trust? That letter? THST is a fucken disgrace. I said it at the time and I'm happy to bring it up again now. Those fucken cunts have no place in the game. They should all fuck off and 'support' some other club.

You know what I'm happy we won the game by playing the way we played. These cunts and especially the teams managed by Mourinho always looked to play defensive, score a shit goal then close the shop and we'd always struggle to break them down. Now the roles switched and we did them good. Have that you cunts.

Back
Top Bottom