Spurs vs Inter @ Giuseppe Meazza|| Tue 16:55 GMT

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We HAVE 5 CMs... Sadly lacking in form and fitness, but it's not a "without" period at all.

Blame the gaffer/scouts if you must but I flat out dont believe Levy set out to spend zero money in the summer.

Let's not pretend Grielish @40m (alone) would have satiated the hoard's appetite for transfers either.

Kid is a 'shine 1 in 5' player at championship level. We're not in this situ cos Levy didn't overspend on JG and that's what you seem to be implying at this point.

I don't consider Grealish a CM. He's an attacking mid.
I'm talking about somebody like Diawara, Ndombele, De Jong, etc.
And yes, if hardly any CM's are fit or in form, we are "without".

But it's garbage if they don't create anything from it, that's the point. Had they created a chance as a result of it we would be having a different conversation. If they do that again in the return fixture I have no problems what so ever, I was comfortable watching us last night. I was barking at the TV when Davies losing the ball but at no point did I have that sinking feeling of "oh fuck, here we go".

It's why we can both agree that Liverpool and City press well. In their own ways, their press creates opportunities (although strangely Liverpool's press didn't cause us problems at Wembley, the problems were unforced errors, we gift wrapped their opportunities to them without them having to do much at all. But that's just a specific for that game, in general, they press with great intelligence).
The actual press worked though and that in its self is something to be worried about.The actual giving of the ball away in a dangerous position. The fact that they were shocking in the final third is not the point.

I don't consider Grealish a CM. He's an attacking mid.
I'm talking about somebody like Diawara, Ndombele, De Jong, etc.

Look at our squad; no way our interest was to pad out our AMs.

Either way, like i say, look towards Poch & scouts imo rather than our willingness to spend.

And yes, if hardly any CM's are fit or in form, we are "without".

Dude, that's not what the word (nor your original analogy) means... You don't get to just make shit up... That's not how language works.

The actual press worked though and that is something to be worried about.The actual giving of the ball away in a dangerous position. The fact that they were shocking in the final third is not the point.
Again I disagree, when they closed Davies down it resulted in the ball going out for a throw-in many occasions. If they got behind him they didn't get past Verts. There was no inter-play, no overload for them to fashion anything, we dealt with it. I was stress-free.

Again I disagree, when they closed Davies down it resulted in the ball going out for a throw-in many occasions. If they got behind him they didn't get past Verts. There was no inter-play, no overload for them to fashion anything, we dealt with it. I was stress-free.
Okay, I think we are just going to have disagree. I am not worried about it in relation to Inter, but generally to me, it is a worrying trend. I fear teams may have found a pretty significant weakness. But, yes, for Inter, it was generally stress free. I was surprised how poor they were when they got the ball.

P.s It has actually nice to have a discussion.

Look at our squad; no way our interest was to pad out our AMs.

Either way, like i say, look towards Poch & scouts imo rather than our willingness to spend.

Grealish is more Eriksen than Moura, and also more Eriksen than Dembele or Winks.
He'd would never line up for us in the 2 of a 4-2-3-1 except maybe in a super low level cup game. I can't count him as a straight "CM".

Dude, that's not what the word (nor your original analogy) means... You don't get to just make shit up... That's not how language works.

I see this as a definition for "without":

"not having the use or benefit of"

You sure you aren't just referring to a colloquial understanding over there?

Bust up?

A technical decision (the term used by Poch) is a term used in boxing when a fight has to be stopped.

Could be, I would be amazed if words were not exchanged after last Saturday.

Nothing wrong with that, as long as everyone stays professional and does not start acting in an immature manner

Okay, I think we are just going to have disagree. I am not worried about it in relation to Inter, but generally to me, it is a worrying trend. I fear teams may have found a pretty significant weakness. But, yes, for Inter, it was generally stress free. I was surprised how poor they were when they got the ball.

P.s It has actually nice to have a discussion.
Our main weakness when being pressed are specifically Davies, Tripps and Dier. The Dier one isn't an issue for me if he's next to Dembele or Wanyama (First season Wanyama, not last seasons version as he too became vulnerable to being pressed). I think Winks is also vulnerable too, but it's been an age since I've seen him play for a prolonged period. Dier and Winks to their credit never hide, they constantly making himself available to receive the ball, Tripps and Davies (last night) do not make that right angles to receive the ball. This only puts further pressure on our player on the ball that's looking to pass it. All of our CB's are very competent with the ball at their feet but must have players show for the ball and be prepared to want the ball under pressure.

It has to be said that we face very few teams that will cause us problems, City, Liverpool, Bournemouth, Watford, Everton will all press us. Everton will be shit but aggressive because that's what Silva demands, the only danger here is more to do with a player having their leg broken than winning a ball high up the pitch and creating opportunities from it. City is frightening, we know about Liverpool and Bournemouth are getting better but it always fizzles out. Woolwich game has mostly been about this because it's a derby, it's a toe to toe war for a while that we have won over the course of the game, they did a number on us when we went to their place last year for the first time in four years. I'm not up to speed on European teams, Barca under Pep would be scary but I've no idea if we are to expect anything like this nowadays, do they press now??

But it's our FB's that are causing us the biggest issue right now and why I was delighted to see a proper competent display from Aurier last night. When we have an out ball and have a player to beat and play out through a press that will set us on our way.

Grealish is more Eriksen than Moura, and also more Eriksen than Dembele or Winks.
He'd would never line up for us in the 2 of a 4-2-3-1 except maybe in a super low level cup game. I can't count him as a straight "CM".

I see this as a definition for "without":

"not having the use or benefit of"

You sure you aren't just referring to a colloquial understanding over there?

Meh.... Pretty sure i saw 3 of them last night.... Being 'used'... Another on Sat. Very much WITH in any worthwhile sense of the word.i.e. They were available for selection.

You're simply craving nicer salmon.

Apparently, for one reason or another "all our CMs are shit" is the prevailing sentiment now... IF that IS the case, doesn't sound to me like a £60m yet inexperienced @ CM in the summer would have had sufficient 'surgical' impact on our midfield and in turn the opening of our season... Not with the current general poor performance levels and lack of cohesion formation-wise... Maybe if we struck gold with the right high-quality veteran that could boss from day one (and cost the earth), but we can't expect that kind of impact from a D'jong or N'Dombele straight off the bat. That's just not realistic.

Meh.... Pretty sure i saw 3 of them last night.... Being 'used'... Another on Sat. Very much WITH in any worthwhile sense of the word.i.e. They were available for selection.

You're simply craving nicer salmon.

Apparently, for one reason or another "all our CMs are shit" is the prevailing sentiment now... IF that IS the case, doesn't sound to me like a £60m yet inexperienced @ CM in the summer would have had sufficient 'surgical' impact on our midfield and in turn the opening of our season... Not with the current general poor performance levels and lack of cohesion formation-wise... Maybe if we struck gold with the right high-quality veteran that could boss from day one (and cost the earth), but we can't expect that kind of impact from a D'jong or N'Dombele straight off the bat. That's just not realistic.

My point was more that we are without a stable of fit and in form CMs, not that we are strictly "without" CMs...
Winks and Wanyama have looked poor when handed minutes so far this season.
Dier and Dembele are being played not because they are performing well, but because they are healthy/present. Sissoko is injured.

We are lacking quality and depth in midfield. And yes, I want better Salmon.

My point was more that we are without a stable of fit and in form CMs, not that we are strictly "without" CMs...
Winks and Wanyama have looked poor when handed minutes so far this season.
Dier and Dembele are being played not because they are performing well, but because they are healthy/present. Sissoko is injured.

We are lacking quality and depth in midfield. And yes, I want better Salmon.

Fitness and form are fluid; not an immediate call for the scrap-heap... Not a call for the 'major surgery' many are using recent results as justification for.

Awww good old Dane....you want him dropped but you say it nicely.

Man up, he’s been utter shit and that’s why he needs a few games on the bench.
Wrap it up in all the rainbows cotton wool and “great hold up play” all you want, when push comes to shove he’s been no better than Shane Long recently.
Worse in fact.
I treat every player with respect, unlike you who will turn on them and call them shit as soon as they perform poorly

I treat every player with respect, unlike you who will turn on them and call them shit as soon as they perform poorly

If they play shit they play shit......I don’t pretend they play well because I like them.

Your problem is that you don’t mind if someone says Dier was shit.

You don’t care, you don’t jump on them.
You act like you are respectful but it’s only to your favorites. There is no integrity in that.

You’re not better than me because you call Levy a cunt, and I said Kane played like Rasiak.

Technical reasons could be their passports have expired and they forgot?!
That is so possible for PL club not to tell it's players to make sure they have valid passports!
Tripps doesn't come from the moon, he can take a taxi to the passport office in Victoria which is in Central London 30 mins from WHL and have new passport within a couple of hours. It will cost £100 or so more than by post but am sure he can afford it and if not Levy's petty cash will do.
Toby can do the same with his embassy.

Unless you are taking the piss posting silly and wasting my time.

That is so possible for PL club not to tell it's players to make sure they have valid passports!
Tripps doesn't come from the moon, he can take a taxi to the passport office in Victoria which is in Central London 30 mins from WHL and have new passport within a couple of hours. It will cost £100 or so more than by post but am sure he can afford it and if not Levy's petty cash will do.
Toby can do the same with his embassy.

Unless you are taking the piss posting silly and wasting my time.
Come on mate, it was a joke.

Fitness and form are fluid; not an immediate call for the scrap-heap... Not a call for the 'major surgery' many are using recent results as justification for.

I understand your point. I just wanted 1 cm in the summer though.
I don't consider 1 signing to shore up depth and quality to be "major surgery".
We are suffering from a lack of in-form or fit options right now.

If they play shit they play shit......I don’t pretend they play well because I like them.

Your problem is that you don’t mind if someone says Dier was shit.

You don’t care, you don’t jump on them.
You act like you are respectful but it’s only to your favorites. There is no integrity in that.

You’re not better than me because you call Levy a cunt, and I said Kane played like Rasiak.
Haven't seen anybody slate Dier the way you've been slating Kane. Just fuck off you disgraceful turncoat, shitty excuse of a supporter

Back
Top Bottom