Women’s football: World Cup.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I didn’t say lopsided score lines are frowned upon, I was saying that intentionally running up the score once it’s already lopsided is considered poor form.
Same difference.

If a baseball game is 8-0 in the 8th inning, the winning team is not going to stop trying.

If a basketball game is 120 to 80 with 5 minutes to go, the winning team isn't going to slow down.

If a football game is 50-3 at the start of the 4th, the winning team isn't going to stop playing at 100%.

Same difference.

If a baseball game is 8-0 in the 8th inning, the winning team is not going to stop trying.

If a basketball game is 120 to 80 with 5 minutes to go, the winning team isn't going to slow down.

If a football game is 50-3 at the start of the 4th, the winning team isn't going to stop playing at 100%.

tenor.gif

're the 'running up the score'

The best explanation I could find for it is that in American sports the tie-breaker between teams that are level in the league is head to head record. Whereas in football it's done on goal difference so it's worth while to score as many as you can in case it comes down to a tie-breaker.

I don't think there's any issue with racking up a big score in a tournament that might come down to goal difference. Rubbing it in your opponents faces is a whole different thing. Sport vs being Sporting.

As for it being a gender thing, I remember a lot of people criticizing Man City for their humiliation of Watford just a few weeks ago - an occasion where goal difference was irrelevant.

Don't see the fuss , would be loving it if Tottenham done someone 13-0 in the champions League.
We celebrated all the goals when we did Wigan 9-1 quite a few years ago.

Don't see the fuss , would be loving it if Tottenham done someone 13-0 in the champions League.
We celebrated all the goals when we did Wigan 9-1 quite a few years ago.

That’s not the same.

There’s celebrating and there’s celebrating. I can vaguely remember the Wigan trouncing and other big wins agains minos : the celebrations were high fives and pats on the back after the fourth against Wigan and after even less goals against lessers sides.

The USA girls celebrated the 13th as much as they celebrated first goal; it was embarrassing to watch and I only saw the youtube highlights.

The only saving grace they have is that I’m sure that they were actually photo-shoot conscious and that they where told to provide good pics.

I look forward to seeing these girls lose their title!

VAR seemed alright in the World Cup last year. It has been incredibly slow, shit and interfering in this tournament though.
I thought it was shit then and it's shit now.

Call me crazy but I think a foul in the box that isn't denying an obvious goal scoring chance should be a free-kick inside the box, not an automatic penalty. The punishment is disproportionate to the infraction as it is. I hate seeing questionable penalties deciding matches. And it's happening more and more these days.

I thought it was shit then and it's shit now.

Call me crazy but I think a foul in the box that isn't denying an obvious goal scoring chance should be a free-kick inside the box, not an automatic penalty. The punishment is disproportionate to the infraction as it is. I hate seeing questionable penalties deciding matches. And it's happening more and more these days.

It is actually the case already. Obstruction is a foul of sorts and although its very rare it does result in a free kick inside the box.

It is actually the case already. Obstruction is a foul of sorts and although its very rare it does result in a free kick inside the box.
True. I remember the good old days when shielding the ball without attempting to play it was deemed to be obstruction and incurred an indirect free kick. I hate the way defenders are allowed to shield the ball until it rolls over the dead ball line. Yet another example of the rules being changed for the worse.

True. I remember the good old days when shielding the ball without attempting to play it was deemed to be obstruction and incurred an indirect free kick. I hate the way defenders are allowed to shield the ball until it rolls over the dead ball line. Yet another example of the rules being changed for the worse.

We're heading for basketball style no conntact whatsoever; I always suspected as much what-with the likes of Barcelona and then Spain's national side introducing tippy-tappy style football

We're heading for basketball style no conntact whatsoever; I always suspected as much what-with the likes of Barcelona and then Spain's national side introducing tippy-tappy style football
In theory, when a player is shielding the ball you're allowed to do a fair shoulder-to-shoulder barge, but with the cheating that goes on these days you'd most likely get penalised for it.

Australia have just been awarded a perfectly good goal (Brazil own goal) by a correct VAR decision. At last, the VAR & Ref get it right.

Back
Top Bottom