Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

At the risk of inspiring more Opinion protocol wrath from Airfixx Airfixx I hope we aren't entertaining the notion of spending 50-60m - regardless of there payment structure, including if it's a part-ex for Eriksen - for a 29yo Bale. Great wide forward in his prime, he's not in his prime, he's lazy without the ball, and I'd much rather we built a "team" that works together, fits the original Poch ethos, rather than bring in a "big star galactico ego" that might fuck up the group.

Spend that money on someone to play as an 8, like Lo Celso, but if we were going to spend big money on a forward there are players like Pepe I'd rather go for, younger, hungrier and with decent team ethic too.
He's actually just turned 30 years old today!

(Which should generate plenty of clickbait stories to last till the final day of the Transfer window. Which could be a good diversion for us looking at other players in and out).

As much as I'd love us to sign Bale, it won't happen. £60m plus £300k a week for a 30 year old who, although played a lot last season, has injury concerns.

I still expect to see movement with Lo Celso and Ceballos, but whether we sign both depends on Eriksen. Could do with Ceballos even if Eriksen stays.

They may disagree with me, but the club don't always get it right in the transfer/recruitment field do they, hence us spending three windows trying to shift a fair few, which leaves scope for alternative views, no?

I'd take Sanchez's chances over Foyth's too.

I think Dier, if he put his mind to it, could be the closest thing to Alderwiereld out there, similar qualities, robust but time in CM (like TA got at AM occasionally) should improve his reading and playing out, can ping a ball occasionally, and if anything, he's actually ahead of where TA was in the career trajectory at similar stages, which is possibly why TA ended up on loan at a mid table PL club.

But he's got to stop deluding himself that's he's ever going to be Busquets, in my very humblist of opinions.

If Toby goes I really think we must sign another Centre back. Vertonghen missed 18 games through injury last season, Foyth has not looked secure with several costly errors and while I agree that Dier is better at CB than midfield I’m not sure he believes that himself. Sanchez and Vertonghen showed themselves to be a good pairing in 17-18 but if one of them gets injured we wouldn’t have enough quality cover there.

Having Bale back would be a retrograde step. We have moved on and so has he. The fans would probably have expectations of him that he would no longer be able to fulfill and I just cannot see this transfer happening. He just doesn't fit the profile of players we are attempting to bring in.

I have wonderful memories of his time at the club and would hate to have them tarnished by an unsuccessful attempt at recreating the glory days of old at this stage of his career.
For a nano second it's a wonderful idea then harsh reality kicks in and you realise it's probably for the best if we stay with Gareth Bale firmly in our past and simply wish him well with wherever he ends up playing.
Thanks....but no thanks...
And yet you're probably happy with 30 year old Sissoko skipping around midfield??

Gareth will be fine if we wrap him in cotton wool

giphy.gif

As someone who is scared of spiders, that terrifies me.

:saha:

Last edited:
Just a game of cat and mouse. I'm not sure I believe we have made an offer for Bale but if we have it might be to pressure Betis into accepting our offer which by all account is slightly below their expectations. It might also be a tactic in the CE saga to get potential suitors to cough up if they feel he might go to RM.

If Levy does sign Bale in some fashion you can bet there is a sound financial strategy behind it. He's going to have every penny accounted for!

I'm on the fence about Bale, there's no denying he's a match winner. Look at the CL final against Liverpool. He won that. If he had been in our team this season he would have done the double over them...

Forget the money factor but there's a reason people wanted to keep hold of Dembele and now Toby, sure they are old and as they get older their resale value drops but their experience in the team is worth its weight in gold.

I know the 'You can't win anything with kids' comment went down in folk law, but that championship winning side still had the likes of Cantona, Schmeichel, Irwin, Bruce and Pallister in it, that's a lot of experience... at times we've needed this experience. Llorente did a good job. Imagine how the squad would react with Bale coming on?

Just a game of cat and mouse. I'm not sure I believe we have made an offer for Bale but if we have it might be to pressure Betis into accepting our offer which by all account is slightly below their expectations. It might also be a tactic in the CE saga to get potential suitors to cough up if they feel he might go to RM.

If Levy does sign Bale in some fashion you can bet there is a sound financial strategy behind it. He's going to have every penny accounted for!

I'm on the fence about Bale, there's no denying he's a match winner. Look at the CL final against Liverpool. He won that. If he had been in our team this season he would have done the double over them...

Forget the money factor but there's a reason people wanted to keep hold of Dembele and now Toby, sure they are old and as they get older their resale value drops but their experience in the team is worth its weight in gold.

I know the 'You can't win anything with kids' comment went down in folk law, but that championship winning side still had the likes of Cantona, Schmeichel, Irwin, Bruce and Pallister in it, that's a lot of experience... at times we've needed this experience. Llorente did a good job. Imagine how the squad would react with Bale coming on?

Leave Madrid to be a super-sub for us?

Can't see that for a second.

Please no!

Not much going on transfer-wise, so resurrect the Bale rumour/nightmare. I wouldn't have him if RM paid all his wages.

We need to look forward, not back.

Was watching the 2011-12 PL 'highlights' on Sky (mainly Scouser, Woolwich, United, City hammering Blackburn, Wigan etc.) and there was Bale playing alongside Gallas, Bentley, Friedel etc.

Look forward.

Please no Danny.

I assume they've done this every year he has left? Cheap way to get social interactions... will lead to lots of people going back and watching old footage of his games and goals which we're likely to get a kick back from at some point...
Interesting... I did an advanced Twitter search from this time last year, and although they did a birthday tweet for Dembele then, they didn't do one for Bale.
:sonhmm:

Following this URL should do what I did and list the SpursOfficial tweets between 15th and 17th of July 2018.

Back
Top Bottom