Tottenham Hotspur v Southampton (28-09-19) (3pm)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Sorry TT, I’m not getting your point. You accept they extra chances because they had an extra man, so where’s the great tactical defensive gain? The expected outcome materialised.

It’s ok to say “we dug in, rode our luck a bit” but I just don’t agree that there was some great tactical masterstroke at play here. I thought Eriksen and Sissoko - and we as a team - defended that right side poorly, numerous times letting them get past men or get balls I to the box.

That they didn’t capitalise had as much to do with their ineptitude and a bit of rub than our great defensive cohesion.

Great, we dug in like any team who goes down to ten men, and got the result. There’s no great tactical take away from that game though - lets not pretend there is, we’ve not learnt anything significant to take forward, against better sides when we have allowed them that much opportunity we’ve come unstuck. We’ve played 4 across the middle before recently. Pretty sure we did it against Arse at one point.
lol Never said there was.

My point is that, to me, anyway, we all looked on the same page.

Got a sense of relatively calm cohesion - considering the situation - that I haven't in a long time, from them.

I'm talking about essence and 'feel' rather than stats and stacking blocks.

Of late we've been back to having on-field meltdowns.

For me, we got some of our steel back from seeing that out.

Considering how we started, Aurier getting booted and Hugo engaging clown mode, that was an important result at a crucial time.

I'm angry about several things about our game before Aurier was carded, but overall that was a super net + performance for us.

It came at a crucial time and should lift confidence and put a half-smile on Poch's face.

I see where ya coming from, mate, but we're just not gonna agree on this.

I think it steeled is though as the game went on.....game them an incentive to make that extra effort

Sure... Lamela in was a great (and well timed) sub imo, but if like I projected we'd have been 3-0 up in 30mins you'd assume Saints would have shrunk even further and would have called for less solidity (see Palace).

Whateva, tbh... Given the circumstances, the win was more than good enough for me. In many ways, despite the glamour, today was more important than Tuesday night. Plus, we can now face BM with a bit more of a positive outlook. Win/Win.

There were no tactics in the 2nd half, but it's always like that when you're up a goal and down a man. You just sit back and hang on as long as possible.

If we were down a goal and down a man, we would've just gone all out like Arse did last week.

Job done as far as I'm concerned. No analysis needed for this game.

Well hopefully we will know by then if Foyth or KWP can cut it, but I think KWP is very good going forward and would do well at wingback.

Foyth ain't a RB for me but I would give KWP a chance again but for me we still need another RB Serge is to much of. a liability to be a part of the squad. Shane because on his good days he's a very good player

Just back from the game. Obviously not the scintillating Spurs we all want to see but ultimately very happy to come away with the three points, a hard fought victory.

I thought Tanguy, Winks, Kane and Lamela when he came on were all fantastic.
I don't want to dig out Eriksen for the sake of it but he really did look very poor every time he got on the ball, I don't think it's a question of commitment, more that his confidence is just completely shot.

I was sat in the SE corner and thought the fans and atmosphere were superb today, everyone backed the team in a big way. Had the privilege of being sat next to a woman in her 70s who sang her heart out all game, proper support.

Feel much more confident going into Tuesday off the back of that performance. COYS!

Don’t know about anybody else but I didn’t feel we were under any real threat though Southampton had a lot of ball I didn’t think they were capable of doing anything with it! Their goal was our fault other that for being a man up they were quite powderpuff! But at least we had a bit of fight today so pleased with that on to tuesday now anything from that we will be doing well Brighton next week it’s a must win then a break we can regroup and start hopefully our season again!

Deserved to win despite self inflicted wounds causing some unneeded disturbances.

Kane - MOTM for me since he showed leadership and was winning many 50/50s against their CBs

Toby and Verts were strong under all that pressure.

Winks and Ndombele had great games.

Son ran his ass off, but wasn’t fully involved.

Rose....meh. Getting old and need cover. Sess?

Sissoko...tired of his displays. He just lacks so much technique that he shouldn’t be in our midfield. He was found watching many times at RB too. Some nice surges to block crosses, but those were needed cause he was out of position as a RB.

Lloris...we just shouldn’t be playing out the back. He is a liability with the ball at his feet. But...he is a great shot stopper and saved us there.

In Time-Out/Pergatory

Aurier- haven’t wanted him since I saw how he played after his first 10 or so games here. Has a cross in him sometimes, but outside that he doesn’t think and has just derailed the developement of KWP which is a crime.

Eriksen- I am tired of him honestly. I know he was involved in the goals and he has brilliance in him. He has done so much for this club and I am sure he will do some amazing things this year for us, but something about his play has always bothered me. He is just weak when under pressure and isn’t that great in space. The hole shouldn’t be where he plays. He runs his ass off and helps a bit defensively, but I would rather have Lamela in his place now that he is healthy. This season he hasn’t looked interested in much and that for me means he is dropped for Lo Celso as soon as he comes back.

Back
Top Bottom