Serge Aurier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He is erratic, to say the least, but that second yellow card was a bit harsh.
The ball was out just prior to it so doubly unfortunate.

There’s potential in Aurier but he’s rash, unpredictable and his footballing brain isn’t there sometimes. I always feel he has a red card in him which we just can’t have. He’s our main RB this year so we’ll see how he does but if he’s still blowing hot and cold at the end of the season, i’d say sell him for £30m and use it to buy Pereira.

There’s potential in Aurier but he’s rash, unpredictable and his footballing brain isn’t there sometimes. I always feel he has a red card in him which we just can’t have. He’s our main RB this year so we’ll see how he does but if he’s still blowing hot and cold at the end of the season, i’d say sell him for £30m and use it to buy Pereira.

He dont seem rash or aggressive to me. He is just very clumsy.

This guy sums up the problems currently Pochettino has. Wants to leave and is clearly a moron.

On the other side of it.

Was he a Poch request or a Levy signing?
Or who scouted him as the best replacement for Walker?

Lessons need to be learnt anyway.

I don’t understand people saying the second yellow was harsh. He deliberately pulled back a player that had beaten him. That’s always a yellow.
There was little caution shown by him after just being booked. When you've had a yellow that's the time to be a little bit more careful...he was an idiot.

Last edited:
anyone know the win percentages with the various right backs starting? i had a feeling Auriers were very high? certainly CL they are... so therefore these brain farts are (have to be) accepted ...

I think it's Serge that's predictable, and I still think he is clumsy in challenges.

I'm bringing up an older post discussion because of how defensive you got for Serge when I posted the following;

He let us down big time today, and got away with it.
I'm curious if you're about to jump to his defence again?

I still like him as a person, and loved the VAR celebration. But still think he will have a season full of fuck ups and will be moved on. Sounds like we already tried somewhat in the summer but failed.

Crazy Serge is an accident waiting to happen every time he takes the field. He has qualities and ability that suggests he could make it at a top club - but whatever it is, his mental game I suppose - lets him down time and time again.
His 1st challenge was yellow all day long. The 2nd...........where was the foul even!! Sorry, no way was that a yellow, so how did he "let us down"?

We want this team to be aggressive, but steam into any player that gets a yellow. Lamela is the classic example, he's NEVER been red-carded but picks up a yellow almost every game and yet I will guarantee you fans think he's a liability! I'd much rather see a player tackling than being skinned every 5mins.

In his first season, Serge was diving in and going to ground an awful lot, people saying that he's reckless etc.. Yet he never had this reputation in all his previous years. I've acknowledged him diving in his 1st season and put that down to him trying too hard, trying to be aggressive just like his manager has told him to be. Playing in the fastest League in the World for a team that (at the time) was one of, if not the most aggressive teams in this league. He was struggling to get the balance right.

At no point have I ever said he's the solution to our RB, he's not. We can and should be able to find better, I've posted this numerous times too. It's just fans love to point the finger, and do so when a player gets yellow carded, red-carded and blown up for foul throws from overzealous refs (all of which let at least 10 foul throws go every single game).

Co-signed... that said the ref was always going to make an example of him for the VAR celebrations.

Seriously though, I think it’s his last year in a Spurs shirt. Lots of ability but too unreliable.
tenor.gif

His 1st challenge was yellow all day long. The 2nd...........where was the foul even!! Sorry, no way was that a yellow, so how did he "let us down"?

We want this team to be aggressive, but steam into any player that gets a yellow. Lamela is the classic example, he's NEVER been red-carded but picks up a yellow almost every game and yet I will guarantee you fans think he's a liability! I'd much rather see a player tackling than being skinned every 5mins.

In his first season, Serge was diving in and going to ground an awful lot, people saying that he's reckless etc.. Yet he never had this reputation in all his previous years. I've acknowledged him diving in his 1st season and put that down to him trying too hard, trying to be aggressive just like his manager has told him to be. Playing in the fastest League in the World for a team that (at the time) was one of, if not the most aggressive teams in this league. He was struggling to get the balance right.

At no point have I ever said he's the solution to our RB, he's not. We can and should be able to find better, I've posted this numerous times too. It's just fans love to point the finger, and do so when a player gets yellow carded, red-carded and blown up for foul throws from overzealous refs (all of which let at least 10 foul throws go every single game).

For the second booking he clearly pulled the player back. It couldn't see it from the side, but from the back it was clear. A booking and sending off.

The first booking was stupid for me. Where was the Soton player going that required such a tackle?

A liability from foul throws to challenges, with yellow cards and penalties thrown in.

The astonishing thing was that we didn't miss him when he was sent off!

If he had the skill set of a world beater (Kyle Walker) then the brain farts would be forgivable, but the fact is he doesn't. Even at his best he's just a solid RB who gets the job done.

If our hands weren't forced I think we wouldn't see him play at all. It's simpy not worth the risk.

For the second booking he clearly pulled the player back. It couldn't see it from the side, but from the back it was clear. A booking and sending off.

The first booking was stupid for me. Where was the Soton player going that required such a tackle?

A liability from foul throws to challenges, with yellow cards and penalties thrown in.

The astonishing thing was that we didn't miss him when he was sent off!
Mate, I was sat about 15ft away, I can tell you he didn't even foul him. I've got no problem with Bertrand playing for it, I expect our players to do the same but this is exactly what he did. And I haven't even mentioned that the ball went out of play by at least a couple of foot.

First yellow: Every foul in that case is "stupid" then? Do you want our players to be aggressive or not? Football is played with an attitude and I'd take my team playing with an aggressive one every day of the week., than a meek standoffish than we have been recently. Had the ref been consistent both Boufal, Yoshida and Hojberg all worthy of two bookable offences in the first half alone, as it was none were booked until the 2nd half!

We absolutely missed him when he went off, we managed what TWO shots all half!?

I have told you this before, but he did have the reputation of being rash - even at Toulouse - So lets knock this notion that he never had a reputation for being rash. He's always had it, at Toulouse, at PSG and he's still doing it, that first tackle yesterday was fucking idiotic, the boy was hemmed in near the touchline. We want aggressive players, but intelligently aggressive, not stupidly aggressive or reckless, because it compromises the team.

Lamela doesn't get that second yellow, but what it means is he can no longer be as aggressive, press as well, or commit to tackles, because he's often given away a yellow unnecessarily, not on a clever tactical foul or something, just because he's fucking clumsy. That is being a liability sometimes because it means he can't do his job properly which puts pressure on his team mates.

I'm all for aggression and tenacity, but it has to be controlled and have some wit about it, some regard for the team.

Here's the thing, the reason he gets a second yellow is because he gets skinned by their bloke inn the first place, he's gone past him.

So not only is he giving away a stupid yellow, he's getting skinned. Then giving away another.

Cannot imagine the shit you'd be giving him now if he was a certain other RB.

And by the way, we have been atrocious defensively, with shitloads coming down our right side, City, Woolwich, Olympiacos, Leicester, Southampton continually ripped down our right. Pretty sure you said getting rid of that other RB (who's just kept Hazard quiet while having another very good game for AM) was going to solve all our defensive problems, and I told you it wouldn't, that it was about the way Poch has us set up and the collective tactics and personnel.

32 shots/ 30 crosses v City, 26/25 Arse, 16/17 Olympiacos, 16/20 Leicester, 14/24 Soton

Suggests getting rid of you know who hasn't solved the problem.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom