Serge Aurier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The needless red card was bad enough but the nonchalant attitude is much worse. There was a moment in the Leicester game (I think it might have been in the lead up to their goal) where we were rushing to get back, all except Aurier who was casually jogging.

Again, another moment today where Southampton were on the break down his side and Winks actually ran past Aurier to get to the player first and then put his foot in.

I can take players having poor games (Wilshere has made a career of it). I can take players having brain farts (Again, Wilshere has made a career out if it). But I can't stand lazy, entitled footballers.

Our whole philosophy under Poch is urgency - pacey attacks, fast transitions and quickly getting back into position or pressing high when possession is lost. One player not doing his bit causes the whole system to fail - which is one reason why we seem to concede so regularly. If Poch can't get an attitude change, I'd be glad to see him gone.

Sissoko looked surprisingly decent at RB and I think Foyth could be our ace in the pack when it comes to that position. Both should be ahead of Aurier currently based on attitude alone. The disappointing thing is there is so much potential and talent but the mental state/attitude is shocking. (A bit like Wilshere again except the bit about potential and talent).

I saw some “Serge is our best option so he must play” type of posts and I am just not into that. He wants to leave. He is consistent in committing bonehead fouls and has major lapses positionally. He is an athletic dude that has shown flashes, but he is far too much of a me character when we need us characters.

KWP should be our starting RB in my opinion. Hasn’t been amazing this year, but has been a consistent player all year and I don’t think he is to blame for any of our faults. We are waisting valuable time to get him game time. When we start getting tighter in midfield, KWP will have a blast bombing up the right.

This guy sums up the problems currently Pochettino has. Wants to leave and is clearly a moron.

On the other side of it.

Was he a Poch request or a Levy signing?
Or who scouted him as the best replacement for Walker?

Lessons need to be learnt anyway.

What lesson, though? He was an extremely reasonable gamble. We needed to replace Walker. Aurier seemed like a quality player at a great club who was on the bench for what looked like off-the-field misbehavior. We said "hey, we'll take a punt on that guy. We'll get him to stop doing all the stupid off-the-field stuff and we'll have a quality player at a bargain price." And while he hasn't been a choir boy off-the-field, he's been good enough there to not cause the team any REAL trouble. It turns out he just isn't the player we hoped he'd be.

I'm all for lessons learned, but no scout/manager/chairman bats 1.000 (sorry for the baseball reference).

What lesson, though? He was an extremely reasonable gamble. We needed to replace Walker. Aurier seemed like a quality player at a great club who was on the bench for what looked like off-the-field misbehavior. We said "hey, we'll take a punt on that guy. We'll get him to stop doing all the stupid off-the-field stuff and we'll have a quality player at a bargain price." And while he hasn't been a choir boy off-the-field, he's been good enough there to not cause the team any REAL trouble. It turns out he just isn't the player we hoped he'd be.

I'm all for lessons learned, but no scout/manager/chairman bats 1.000 (sorry for the baseball reference).

Think we currently bat nearer 0.30. Is that how it works?

Which needs to improve and can improve IMO.

Mate, I was sat about 15ft away, I can tell you he didn't even foul him. I've got no problem with Bertrand playing for it, I expect our players to do the same but this is exactly what he did. And I haven't even mentioned that the ball went out of play by at least a couple of foot.

First yellow: Every foul in that case is "stupid" then? Do you want our players to be aggressive or not? Football is played with an attitude and I'd take my team playing with an aggressive one every day of the week., than a meek standoffish than we have been recently. Had the ref been consistent both Boufal, Yoshida and Hojberg all worthy of two bookable offences in the first half alone, as it was none were booked until the 2nd half!

We absolutely missed him when he went off, we managed what TWO shots all half!?
Take your blinkers off mate it was clear as day look at his reaction after he was sent of didn’t even complain , I’ve watched it from different angles he clearly pulls him back , he’s lucky he wasn’t sent of for the scissor tackle from behind in this day and age that could have been a red .he is a liability and erratic can barely defend and gives us less then kwp going forward ,his positions is horrible and can’t cross when he’s in good positions he will cost us more games over the season , I don’t want to see him play in big games he will be targeted and will cost us very poor player over all .

And I haven't even mentioned that the ball went out of play by at least a couple of foot.

Don't think so. Replays show that not all of the ball crossed the line. It was in the air so difficult to judge, but in my view it stayed in play.

ARWoTTu.jpg

Every foul in that case is "stupid" then? Do you want our players to be aggressive or not?

Some fouls are more stupid than others. Their player was moving towards the touchline 40m from our goal. No danger. Usher him out of touch or force him to play backwards. Don't take both legs away from under him. Stupidity of the highest order.

tzvEfPX.jpg

What this doesn't show is the handfull of Bertrand's shirt that he had a moment before. Redmond through on goal, Aurier nowhere. Bertrand went down easily but then, what would you would expect him to do? What was the ref to give? Again stupidity of the highest order on Aurier's part.

Absolute stupidity-deserved red, in fact he could have went for the first with another ref. Why professional players feel the need to foul a man when they have them exactly where they want them is totally beyond me-Walker and Rose both did/do it, Davinson does it, Aurier does it, Foyth does it. Needless challenges giving away easy fks and taking pointless yellows its bonkers.
All those players have that competitive stupidity at times where they feel they have to tackle or win the ball when all they need to do is take the danger away and cover space-defending 101

Don't think so. Replays show that not all of the ball crossed the line. It was in the air so difficult to judge, but in my view it stayed in play.

ARWoTTu.jpg

Some fouls are more stupid than others. Their player was moving towards the touchline 40m from our goal. No danger. Usher him out of touch or force him to play backwards. Don't take both legs away from under him. Stupidity of the highest order.

tzvEfPX.jpg

What this doesn't show is the handfull of Bertrand's shirt that he had a moment before. Redmond through on goal, Aurier nowhere. Bertrand went down easily but then, what would you would expect him to do? What was the ref to give? Again stupidity of the highest order on Aurier's part.
That freeze-frame shows it's out of play more than in, so thanks for providing exhibit A (although camera angles are always a bitch) BUT again I reiterate I was sat about 15ft away from this, it went out and not by a fraction by what I would say was 1-2 ft!!!

Exhibit B: Were is Aurier pulling Bertrand, where does it show this?

I absolutely do not want to get into a drawn-out affair in this, it's become the new way to watch football thanks to all the replays etc but I will say it AGIN, football is about attitude, it's won and lost on attitude. IT WAS A FOUL, IT WAS A YELLOW, I'm not claiming that it wasn't, but I want to see our players stick a few on the oppo, I want to see us in their faces. Just like Southampton were to us, but none of their players was pinged.

We've been far too passive recently, EVERYONE has been saying it, yet now when the shoe fits, we pile into a player and forensically dissect a tackle and call it stupid. While other players throughout history were held in high esteem for their attitude they set for their sides. I bet you were bitching about Kane's tackle on Delph last season too? The tackle that he injured his ankle BUT exemplified the reason we beat City and went on to go to the CL final!!!

You absolutely wouldn't be calling it a stupid tackle if the ref get's it wrong and doesn't give him a 2nd yellow, no one would even give it a mention, why would they, it was just a yellow card.

Take your blinkers off mate it was clear as day look at his reaction after he was sent of didn’t even complain , I’ve watched it from different angles he clearly pulls him back , he’s lucky he wasn’t sent of for the scissor tackle from behind in this day and age that could have been a red .he is a liability and erratic can barely defend and gives us less then kwp going forward ,his positions is horrible and can’t cross when he’s in good positions he will cost us more games over the season , I don’t want to see him play in big games he will be targeted and will cost us very poor player over all .
I was fucking sat 15ft away from it and I can say he didn't even foul him, my view trumps yours! I have now also seen all the angles you have seen and in EVERY SINGLE ONE, you can't even see the infringement. Post on here by reply just ONE replay from one of the many angles that clearly shows a foul, let alone a yellow card offence.

So are you saying if he rushes up to the ref and gets in his face that means it's not a yellow!?/? What!!?

I have told you this before, but he did have the reputation of being rash - even at Toulouse - So lets knock this notion that he never had a reputation for being rash. He's always had it, at Toulouse, at PSG and he's still doing it, that first tackle yesterday was fucking idiotic, the boy was hemmed in near the touchline. We want aggressive players, but intelligently aggressive, not stupidly aggressive or reckless, because it compromises the team.

Lamela doesn't get that second yellow, but what it means is he can no longer be as aggressive, press as well, or commit to tackles, because he's often given away a yellow unnecessarily, not on a clever tactical foul or something, just because he's fucking clumsy. That is being a liability sometimes because it means he can't do his job properly which puts pressure on his team mates.

I'm all for aggression and tenacity, but it has to be controlled and have some wit about it, some regard for the team.

Here's the thing, the reason he gets a second yellow is because he gets skinned by their bloke inn the first place, he's gone past him.

So not only is he giving away a stupid yellow, he's getting skinned. Then giving away another.

Cannot imagine the shit you'd be giving him now if he was a certain other RB.

And by the way, we have been atrocious defensively, with shitloads coming down our right side, City, Woolwich, Olympiacos, Leicester, Southampton continually ripped down our right. Pretty sure you said getting rid of that other RB (who's just kept Hazard quiet while having another very good game for AM) was going to solve all our defensive problems, and I told you it wouldn't, that it was about the way Poch has us set up and the collective tactics and personnel.

32 shots/ 30 crosses v City, 26/25 Arse, 16/17 Olympiacos, 16/20 Leicester, 14/24 Soton

Suggests getting rid of you know hasn't solved the problem.
Do you think Southampton were passive or aggressive on Sat? My answer to that was they were aggressive, I actually think they were too aggressive but the ref just let it run as they shared out their tackles across the whole team, tactical fouling at it's best......BUT they were fucking lucky not to have THREE of their players sent off for picking up two yellows in the first half alone. We as a team have to match this level of aggression, it's not what we have been doing recently and I thought aside from the first 10mins we were fantastic.

Again, football is played with an attitude, it sets the tone of a match and we have to at least match our opponents before we can assert ourselves onto the oppo. We did this so well on Sat and Aurier's yellow exemplified what this looks like when a game is played, same as when Kane got injured when tackling Delph, loads of dicks complaining how needless and "stupid" it was......what it showed is the attitude that gives us a win on the night and we carried that on with our journey to the final. IT WINS US GAMES.

City are one of the most aggressive sides you will ever watch, when they lose the ball they are not just on you like a rash they will foul you, no hesitation, no fucking about their attitude is pure aggression. Their aggression is rarely punished. Take a look at LaPorte's injury he picked up the other week, I bet many on here would say "that's stupid" but it typified how City play, he picked up that injury as he used his body to bring down the oppo to prevent them counter-attacking. But hey, it's golden boy LaPorte and it's little tippy tappy City.

You are just making up the stuff about Lamela now, prove your point.

Why are you posting all these fucking stats? Aurier has played 3 games for us this season (only played in Leicester game & less than half the game against Southampton!!!), we've won 2 of them and he's been involved in half the goals we scored in those!!! And were it not for the most ridiculous VAR offside decision we'd have won the other.

I will say this again, he's NOT the answer to our RB position, we can find better. Our issues about conceding shots on our goal come in 3 main forms 1) We dropped the high press, to a mid-block (loads of reasons why we did this) b) We lost our midfield (Dembele + Wanyama + Dier), linked to point 1 above 3) Our FB's, specifically the loss of prime Walker and Rose again linked to point 1.

That freeze-frame shows it's out of play more than in, so thanks for providing exhibit A (although camera angles are always a bitch) BUT again I reiterate I was sat about 15ft away from this, it went out and not by a fraction by what I would say was 1-2 ft!!!

Exhibit B: Were is Aurier pulling Bertrand, where does it show this?

I absolutely do not want to get into a drawn-out affair in this, it's become the new way to watch football thanks to all the replays etc but I will say it AGIN, football is about attitude, it's won and lost on attitude. IT WAS A FOUL, IT WAS A YELLOW, I'm not claiming that it wasn't, but I want to see our players stick a few on the oppo, I want to see us in their faces. Just like Southampton were to us, but none of their players was pinged.

We've been far too passive recently, EVERYONE has been saying it, yet now when the shoe fits, we pile into a player and forensically dissect a tackle and call it stupid. While other players throughout history were held in high esteem for their attitude they set for their sides. I bet you were bitching about Kane's tackle on Delph last season too? The tackle that he injured his ankle BUT exemplified the reason we beat City and went on to go to the CL final!!!

You absolutely wouldn't be calling it a stupid tackle if the ref get's it wrong and doesn't give him a 2nd yellow, no one would even give it a mention, why would they, it was just a yellow card.

Ok, we disagree on both points.

The ball can't be more out than in. It's either in or all of it crosses the line and it's out (which it didn't on Saturday). You were 15 feet away, Winks was 6 ft away. Both of you were mistaken. The ball remained in play. The linesman is looking along the line and has the best view. He didn't flag.

but I want to see our players stick a few on the oppo, I want to see us in their faces.

Aurier had a handfull of Bertrand's shirt. These days it earns a yellow card - end of.

I understand the sentiment but this disappeared 20 years ago when refs started to protect players from the thugs.

Do it sensibly however not in the brainless way that seems to afflict Aurier.

Anyway on to tomorrow.

Last edited:
Ok, we disagree on both points.

The ball can't be more out than in. It's either in or all of it crosses the line and it's out (which it didn't on Saturday). You were 15 feet away, Winks was 6 ft away. Both of you were mistaken. The ball remained in play. The linesman is looking along the line and has the best view. He didn't flag.

Aurier had a handfull of Bertrand's shirt. These days it earns a yellow card - end of.

I understand the sentiment but this disappeared 20 years ago when refs started to protect players from the thugs.

Do it sensibly however not in the brainless way that seems to afflict Aurier.

Anyway on to tomorrow.
Mate, the ball went out of play. I make reference to the size of the margin because it was so obvious. The lino missed it and we should have played to the whistle. But it went out of play, the lino and ref made mistakes and missed it.

Show me where Auier pulled his shirt, it's easily done in the most technologically advanced stadium in the world, all these multiple angles and everything, just put up one example that shows this. I can tell you he didn't even foul Bertrand, Bertrand dived......something I would expect our players to also do, but he went to ground to get Aurier sent off.

It exists more today than ever, see my post about City and their attitude and how that manifests onto the pitch.

It's only a "brainless" foul because he got a (unwarranted) 2nd yellow.

This guy sums up the problems currently Pochettino has. Wants to leave and is clearly a moron.

On the other side of it.

Was he a Poch request or a Levy signing?
Or who scouted him as the best replacement for Walker?

Lessons need to be learnt anyway.

He was 100% a Poch signing. KWP played the first game of that season away At Newcastle while we waited for Trippier to recover from an injury, and did fine. Poch was asked post match if KWP was ready to play more - he replied “not to play regularly in PL” or words to that effect. A few days later we signed Aurier.

He could have gone into that season with Trippier and KWP, but wanted another RB.

Back
Top Bottom