Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not that I believe a random Italian journo but Eriksen should under no circumstances be offered a new contract after the past 12 months and his comments. We should not be playing the desperate partner here and I for one have had enough of this cunt.

I don't understand the negativity towards Eriksen. Ungrateful bunch of twats! Consistently our best player season after season and not drawing a huge wage (see Ozil for example).

I can't recall a single sustained period of injury. Yes, his form has dipped up and down at times but what player doesn't.

Clearly this year he has been burnt out. A new baby, a relentless training regime and the disappointment that the squad reached it's peak has impacted his form. He was honest enough to admit this and state that he fancied a change - Imagine 5 years with the same boss!

The club and coach neededto manage this situation better. Allow players time off - not just injured players. Imagine Eriksen had been given July through September off. Back to training in Oct; back in squad Nov.

New contract, time off in December. Come back refreshed in January and lead the charge for the Champions League!

Alternatively; go out and spend 100m and 300k a week on a sub-par replacement.

I don't understand the negativity towards Eriksen. Ungrateful bunch of twats! Consistently our best player season after season and not drawing a huge wage (see Ozil for example).

I can't recall a single sustained period of injury. Yes, his form has dipped up and down at times but what player doesn't.

Clearly this year he has been burnt out. A new baby, a relentless training regime and the disappointment that the squad reached it's peak has impacted his form. He was honest enough to admit this and state that he fancied a change - Imagine 5 years with the same boss!

The club and coach neededto manage this situation better. Allow players time off - not just injured players. Imagine Eriksen had been given July through September off. Back to training in Oct; back in squad Nov.

New contract, time off in December. Come back refreshed in January and lead the charge for the Champions League!

Lmao. I've not been injured in Eriksen's time at Spurs either, probably because we've made the same number of tackles.

5 years with the same boss? Doesn't seem to have bothered Kane or Son.

100m and 300k a week for a sub-par player? Well we've got Lo Celso for much cheaper.

Best player season after season? I'm not sure how you can say that when we've had one of the top strikers in the world during that time breaking all kinds of records.

Kane has also had a kid, as have many other squad members, they're not playing shit as a result.

He's not drawing a huge wage because he's rejected numerous contract offers from Spurs! That's his decision!

Biggest load of bollocks I've ever read.

100m and 300k a week for a sub-par player? Well we've got Lo Celso for much cheaper.

Kane has also had a kid, as have many other squad members, they're not playing shit as a result.
Errr, have you watched them since February?

Toby, Eriksen, Kane.....all been crap (and all recently had kids). Maybe we need a Spurs nursery.

Best player season after season? I'm not sure how you can say that when we've had one of the top strikers in the world during that time breaking all kinds of records.

1 goal every 4 games and 1 assist every 3 games is not a bad return for a midfielder.

And who got the assisting pass on most of those goals? (clue, it wasn't Sissoko)

Lmao. I've not been injured in Eriksen's time at Spurs either, probably because we've made the same number of tackles.

Tackles 270.
Tackle success 71%
Blocked shots 193.
Interceptions 152.
Pass completion 81.6%
Errors leading to goal 0

Christian Eriksen is just the second player to assist 10+ Premier League goals in four successive seasons.

Hazard laid on 50 assists in 238 Premier League games compared to Eriksen's 58 in 199 outings, while the Dane's record of 31.4 minutes per chance created is also better than that of the Chelsea attacker (32.9). Nevertheless, Hazard is not the only one to have fewer assists than Eriksen, as Mesut Ozil (52), Mata (50) and Raheem Sterling (42) all trail in his wake.

Why oh why are people like you still defending him?

He has been on a steady decline for 18 mths to 2 yrs.

He certainly hasn’t been our best player year after year- I think Kane and Dembele might have a view on that.

How do you know that he is burnt out? - more like found out. He is no longer good enough for the Premier League. And what is this new baby nonsense?

I hear excuse after excuse being made for this player both excusing his poor performances and his refusal to sign a new contract:-
“He is burnt out
He has a new baby
He always has a downturn when it comes to contract negotiations
He is disappointed because the squad has reached it’s peak
He is upset with Vertonghen
He is not being paid as much as everyone else so why would he sign a new contract“

Just excuse after excuse. So what do we have left? A player who can’t shoot, can’t or won’t tackle, a player who more often than not does the simple 5 yard pass and yet still frequently gives the ball away. A player that opposition players can waltz around at will. Don’t get me started on corners and free kicks.

In other words he is a passenger who no longer merits a place in the team.

Last edited:

5 years with the same boss? Doesn't seem to have bothered Kane or Son.

He's not drawing a huge wage because he's rejected numerous contract offers from Spurs! That's his decision!

Biggest load of bollocks I've ever read.

Do you ever get the impression we are wasting our time with some of these people!
They show utter blind loyalty to a player showing little or no loyalty to the club on or off the pitch- quite ironic and sad.

Just excuse after excuse. So what do we have left? A player who can’t shoot, can’t or won’t tackle, a player who more often than not does the simple 5 yard pass and yet still frequently gives the ball away. A player that opposition players can waltz around at will. Don’t get me started on corners and free kicks.

In other words he is a passenger who no longer merits a place in the team.

Can't shoot? EVERY SEASON he has been with us he has had the 2nd highest shots on target and been amongst our top goal scorers. but yeah - matspur thinks he can't shoot.

Can't pass? A pass completion rate of 82%, better than Hazard, Ozil, Sterling, De Bryne. He has had the highest number of assists every year for us. but yeah - matspur thinks he gives the ball away too much.

2018/19 - Highest number of assists (by 2 fold) and 4th top scorer. 2 highest shots on target.
2017/18 - Highest number of assists, 3rd top scorer. 2 highest shots on target.
2016/17 - Highest number of assists (by 2 fold) and 4th top scorer. 2 highest shots on target.
2015/16 - Highest number of assists, 3rd top scorer. 2 highest shots on target.

I was bored with him/this a year ago, I was utterly bored six months ago. Now, I'm comatose. The best news I could get regarding this individual is that's he's been shipped off somewhere else, preferably to Outer Mongolia.

Errr, have you watched them since February?

Toby, Eriksen, Kane.....all been crap (and all recently had kids). Maybe we need a Spurs nursery.

1 goal every 4 games and 1 assist every 3 games is not a bad return for a midfielder.

And who got the assisting pass on most of those goals? (clue, it wasn't Sissoko)

Tackles 270.
Tackle success 71%
Blocked shots 193.
Interceptions 152.
Pass completion 81.6%
Errors leading to goal 0

Christian Eriksen is just the second player to assist 10+ Premier League goals in four successive seasons.

Hazard laid on 50 assists in 238 Premier League games compared to Eriksen's 58 in 199 outings, while the Dane's record of 31.4 minutes per chance created is also better than that of the Chelsea attacker (32.9). Nevertheless, Hazard is not the only one to have fewer assists than Eriksen, as Mesut Ozil (52), Mata (50) and Raheem Sterling (42) all trail in his wake.

You are being very selective and with your statistics. Mesut Ozil and Mata have less assists than Eriksen but he has played more matches : 291 v 236 for Ozil and 230 for Mata. I would also think that within those statistics are quite a lot where Ozil and Mata have been a used substitute where Eriksen has almost always played 90 mins. You are not really comparing like for like either. Sterling may have less assists but again he has played only 208 games and scored 83 goals.

There are many factors involved. Who would you prefer to be playing with to convert your chances- Morata and Giroud or Kane, Ali and Son?

Also where did you get the 199 outings for Eriksen from? He has played 216 league games for Spurs and 291 in all competitions?

You are in cloud cuckoo land if you would rather have Eriksen than Sterling or Hazard in terms of all round performance

Last edited:
Can't shoot? EVERY SEASON he has been with us he has had the 2nd highest shots on target and been amongst our top goal scorers. but yeah - matspur thinks he can't shoot.

Can't pass? A pass completion rate of 82%, better than Hazard, Ozil, Sterling, De Bryne. He has had the highest number of assists every year for us. but yeah - matspur thinks he gives the ball away too much.

2018/19 - Highest number of assists (by 2 fold) and 4th top scorer. 2 highest shots on target.
2016/17 - Highest number of assists (by 2 fold) and 4th top scorer. 2 highest shots on target.

He is the playmaker and has played in virtually every game for Spurs. He takes the corners and free kicks. For the most part he plays in advanced positions - of course he is likely to get the most assists for Spurs!

And if you think he hasn’t been giving the ball away too easily this season then I doubt that you have been watching the matches.
He has been garbage for quite some time

Crikey, did you give Van Der Vaart get this much stick when he asked to leave?

We should be applauding Eriksen as a club legend and thanking him for his contribution. No kicking him up the arse on his way out the door.

The club failed to sell him in the summer. He hasn't gone on strike, he hasn't skipped training. The whole squads performances have been shite; not just him.

He is the playmaker and has played in virtually every game for Spurs. He takes the corners and free kicks. For the most part he plays in advanced positions - of course he is likely to get the most assists for Spurs!

And if you think he hasn’t been giving the ball away too easily this season then I doubt that you have been watching the matches.
He has been garbage for quite some time
It's no coincidence that when he's on the pitch and playing rubbish, we are rubbish too. We were far too reliant on his creativity to get a performance out of the team. That is why he shouldn't be anywhere near the side. We should have been looking at a replacement much sooner than we did. TBH, I'd rather have an academy kid who ran his heart out.

2019/20 1 goal 1 assist so far, a third of the way through the season.

I know what you're saying and he was a real force for us for a long time. Personally, I'd love it if Mourinho got him back on track. But the guy's been pants for a year now and, unlike Dele, who has clearly been making an effort this season, just looks like he hasn't got it in him anymore.

It's no coincidence that when he's on the pitch and playing rubbish, we are rubbish too. We were far too reliant on his creativity to get a performance out of the team. That is why he shouldn't be anywhere near the side. We should have been looking at a replacement much sooner than we did. TBH, I'd rather have an academy kid who ran his heart out.

Anybody but Eriksen. I think they will be able to hear the collective groans all the way to Greece if he is selected tonight

Crikey, did you give Van Der Vaart get this much stick when he asked to leave?

We should be applauding Eriksen as a club legend and thanking him for his contribution. No kicking him up the arse on his way out the door.

The club failed to sell him in the summer. He hasn't gone on strike, he hasn't skipped training. The whole squads performances have been shite; not just him.

Yes you are right about other players being poor but I don’t see anyone else jumping out of tackles.
Van der Vaart put in effort til the end and there were genuine family reasons why he asked to leave

2 or 3 seasons ago I had him on a par with the likes of Luca Modric. Not any more.
As Mourinho said, let's see where his head is, now we have a new manager. Good as he has been (and undoubtedly could still be), if he's not 150% committed to the club, shove him out at Christmas, along with the other 'maybe nots'.
...with a big 'thank you' for all he's done for us. Like Poch, he was instrumental in getting us up there.

Back
Top Bottom