Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

... we no longer want to have 65% of useless possession ... we are fine with 45% of useful possession ... so what has that meant? Well in simple terms playing out from the back, painfully slow build up with 100 touches has all gone. Instead we will now fire quick long balls straight or diagonally to mobile strikers pushed well forward. This allows the defenders to stay deeper and thus restrict opposition counter attacks, the downside is that it also creates space between our forwards and midfield, space which better teams can exploit, indeed Wolves did that well yesterday, the reality is that the space is a long way from our goal and if the players are following instructions there will always be six or seven players between the ball and our goal. Thus whilst Wolves managed a lot of possession and a lot of passes they never looked that likely to score.

So what does that mean to the numbers? Well already touched on is possession, we've dropped nearly 10% since Jose took over, also pass completion down from 84% to just 72% yesterday. But equally we've massively tightened up at the back, we still have dodgy moments, but the days of teams having 20 decent attempts per game are hopefully no more. Wolves may have had 18 attempted shots but only four needed saving. That's because we managed a season high 17 blocks, unlike last month we are now getting players in the way, not an accident a very clear tactic.

What that means for Dier in particular is that his passing numbers will not be great, 50 yard passes are not his strength, but that's OK ... the one decent pass to Moura (yes Lucas did all the work) goes down as an assist.

To pick on one player who is in fact doing exactly the job his manager wants explains why Jenas was a shit defensive midfield player, and why you dear Blakey remain clueless. Dier had a very strong game yesterday, us winning 2-1 against a form team who hadn't conceded 2 goals at home since September confirms that fact. The boy is starting to look a bit like the player he was two years ago ... let's hope that's a sign of things to come.

Is he good enough to be a very top sides CDM - maybe not, but he's certainly not shit.

I get what you are saying, but you are painting into bit too positive colors.

We were too much pushed back throughout the game and Wolves had too many chances. We were lucky that Jimenez did not put any of his decent chances to the net.

You make it sound like everything went exactly according to the plan and we won comfortably, when in fact it was well played corner, but also quite some luck was involved that we got away with all 3 points. Going forward, we will lose smth like 4 out of 10 such games, draw another 4 and maybe win 2 tops.

If you get a chance watch the piece Jenas did on match of the day 2 after our game. Tore into Dier and Sissoko, highlighted how bad they were, hiding, turning backwards when they had ground in front of them, putting others under pressure etc. Showed examples.

He also didn't make a single successful tackle or interception. It seems planting yourself in our D and making sure our bus doesn't leave the station for 90 minutes is being good defensively.

Yeah, it was a great take that I am glad a lot of people got to see. He is very poor and should not be getting the time of day.

Go to roughly 3:28 onwards for a few minute steps and there's an interesting look at some of Eric's limitations at the moment. Worth keeping an eye on for sure:

This is so lazy. We know he does this, this is his game!! This is a) how he plays, how he has always played for us in this position b) No doubt how he's been asked to play by the manager. Why is Dier at the heart of this critique? Why not Sissoko? Where is Sissoko? Oh, there he is, behind Dier. What are you doing there mate? It's like having a pop at Ronaldo for not defending, standing up a player etc..

This is so lazy. We know he does this, this is his game!! This is a) how he plays, how he has always played for us in this position b) No doubt how he's been asked to play by the manager. Why is Dier at the heart of this critique? Why not Sissoko? Where is Sissoko? Oh, there he is, behind Dier. What are you doing there mate? It's like having a pop at Ronaldo for not defending, standing up a player etc..

Whoa easy tiger I didn't make the vid ;)

I see what you're saying but withnthe large amount of space he does find himself in in these snippets a lot more could have been done with the ball and potential forward momentum gathered through a simple switch in where he chooses to face. Maybe it's rust, maybe Mourinho has as you've highlighted asked him to do exactly this but just because he does it doesn't mean it was the right thing to do. Plenty of opportunities get wasted through things like this but yes plenty of errors are eradicated as well it's a double edged sword.

Whoa easy tiger I didn't make the vid ;)

I see what you're saying but withnthe large amount of space he does find himself in in these snippets a lot more could have been done with the ball and potential forward momentum gathered through a simple switch in where he chooses to face. Maybe it's rust, maybe Mourinho has as you've highlighted asked him to do exactly this but just because he does it doesn't mean it was the right thing to do. Plenty of opportunities get wasted through things like this but yes plenty of errors are eradicated as well it's a double edged sword.
Wasn't aimed at you mate.

Yeah of course but that isn't nor has it ever been his game.

But if you check that 2nd example in the clip, I suggest the reason why he passes backwards is because Sissoko is calling for it, you can actually see this. Sure a baller like Winks will carry the ball into that space or pass it, but again he's not Winks, not Dembele, it's Dier.

Sissoko got no criticism whilst playing alongside him in that double pivot, why??

The issue is since the decline of Wanyama and the sale of Dembele we no longer control the midfield, the entire universe knows this but it's not down to Dier to turn into Dembele or Ndombele or pass like Winks.

Sissoko got no criticism whilst playing alongside him in that double pivot, why??

The issue is since the decline of Wanyama and the sale of Dembele we no longer control the midfield, the entire universe knows this but it's not down to Dier to turn into Dembele or Ndombele or pass like Winks.

Wink's passing is enormously overrated. He's as bad, if not worse, than Dier for taking the easy option and passing back to his nearest CB. That's why he's been relegated to the bench for the most part. He offers the same passing option with less muscle. Neither of them are good enough to be a part of the spine of the team for any period of time.

Sissoko got less critisim because he did it less often than Dier and at least offered something going forward in various periods of the game.
I dunno what the hell Dier was doing in the Wolves 6 yard box. He was probably trying to pass back to Toby when he hit the post though.

Wink's passing is enormously overrated. He's as bad, if not worse, than Dier for taking the easy option and passing back to his nearest CB. That's why he's been relegated to the bench for the most part. He offers the same passing option with less muscle. Neither of them are good enough to be a part of the spine of the team for any period of time.

Sissoko got less critisim because he did it less often than Dier and at least offered something going forward in various periods of the game.
I dunno what the hell Dier was doing in the Wolves 6 yard box. He was probably trying to pass back to Toby when he hit the post though.
We didn't have any control of the midfield (as in most games actually, definitely against teams that want to compete for control of it) and 2nd guessing here that what any of our midfield is attempting to do is apply some control on a game where we've been overrun. They are deliberately slowing it down.

Our game plan under Jose (and Poch too) is to bye-pass our midfield all together and go long. What you are witnessing is that being played out before your eyes, our midfield when they get the chance, they are looking for one of our major playmakers this season which is Toby and his long ball over the top of the defence. For this to happen the ball needs to be fed to him. Just a thought that this might actually be an instruction being carried out from the Manger(s).

We have players that are OK at certain things but through injury/fitness/availability are left with a woefully unbalanced midfield that simply doesn't function. But above all else don't judge Dier on being Busquests, or Winks as Pirlo. Until we can field a central midfield that is coherent and balanced and suits the game we want to play we will continue to see what we are getting right now.

We didn't have any control of the midfield (as in most games actually, definitely against teams that want to compete for control of it) and 2nd guessing here that what any of our midfield is attempting to do is apply some control on a game where we've been overrun. They are deliberately slowing it down.

Our game plan under Jose (and Poch too) is to bye-pass our midfield all together and go long. What you are witnessing is that being played out before your eyes, our midfield when they get the chance, they are looking for one of our major playmakers this season which is Toby and his long ball over the top of the defence. For this to happen the ball needs to be fed to him. Just a thought that this might actually be an instruction being carried out from the Manger(s).

We have players that are OK at certain things but through injury/fitness/availability are left with a woefully unbalanced midfield that simply doesn't function. But above all else don't judge Dier on being Busquests, or Winks as Pirlo. Until we can field a central midfield that is coherent and balanced and suits the game we want to play we will continue to see what we are getting right now.

I don't totally disagree that teeing Toby up for the long ball is in our locker. It was very prevalent for a few years, went away then seems to have come back.
I wouldn't say it's the overriding plan though. In both the Newcastle loss and Watford draw at home, it was Winks to Toby to Winks to Toby to Winks to Toby to Winks to Toby etc.
There was no midfield bypass, there was no creativeness. There was possession and not a lot else.

I would like to see us invest a proper DCM. A player who can win the ball, shield the defense, receive a pass under pressure and hold on to it and successfully pass the right pass more often than not. And follow instructions rather than go off on a tangent.

I don't really think we have that player. Perhaps TND could be the one? Is he a big tackler/shielder? He seems more attack minded to me.

He’s not asked to turn backwards when he has 10 yards of space ahead of him.

And for what it’s worth Jenas, when he did a similar piece on MOTD2, highlighted both Sissoko and Dier doing the same shit stuff.

And for what it’s worth Jenas, when he did a similar piece on MOTD2, highlighted both Sissoko and Dier doing the same shit stuff.
And you can't even really blame them, they simply haven't got the awareness. Most Championship sides have more intelligent midfielders.

And you can't even really blame them, they simply haven't got the awareness.

I absolutely blame the manager’s that are picking them far more, and have repeatedly said so, but that doesn’t entirely absolve them for what they do out there at times.

Even if you lack technical ability and vision, there’s no excuse for actively hiding from the ball - and I mean wilfully moving to get yourself behind an opponent- which Sissoko does even more than Dier.

I don't totally disagree that teeing Toby up for the long ball is in our locker. It was very prevalent for a few years, went away then seems to have come back.
I wouldn't say it's the overriding plan though. In both the Newcastle loss and Watford draw at home, it was Winks to Toby to Winks to Toby to Winks to Toby to Winks to Toby etc.
There was no midfield bypass, there was no creativeness. There was possession and not a lot else.

I would like to see us invest a proper DCM. A player who can win the ball, shield the defense, receive a pass under pressure and hold on to it and successfully pass the right pass more often than not. And follow instructions rather than go off on a tangent.

I don't really think we have that player. Perhaps TND could be the one? Is he a big tackler/shielder? He seems more attack minded to me.
We absolutely need a dynamic, press resistant, line braking DM/CM, none of what I'm saying excludes this fact. It's imperative that we do so as we can start to win the midfield battles again and gain the control back (it also requires our forwards to press more than they do for this to truly be effective, so it's not the flicking of a switch via the signing of one player). Ndombele is a baller but clearly will not be up to speed until next year, maybe there is a doubt about him without the ball, but let's get him fit first before that part of his game is more thoroughly assessed. He is 50%-60% of the puzzle but perhaps we will be too reliant on him??

The games you mention were where we had control, mainly because the oppo chose to concede it to us as part of their plan. These games I don't worry about, we should win the majority of them even though they can prove a tough watch if we fail to score an early goal. What we were lacking is a functioning 10 and AM's willing to run along with a bit more variety to what we were doing.

My focus is being able to not compete with Wolves midfield, with Southampton's midfield, or any midfield that plays with aggression. I'm worried for Sunday because Chelsea's midfield is very strong, so expect us to try and bye-pass it and play with a low block and a ball over the top.

Which would suggest even more so that there is more than a possibility that there is an instruction being followed? We know the limitations of those two, knowing this why would anyone expect them to play like silky skilful midfielders? They aren't capable of that, they never have been.

Let's ask Rose to play like Alexander-Arnold, when he fails to do so we should all be outraged at him for failing to pull it off??

Which would suggest even more so that there is more than a possibility that there is an instruction being followed? We know the limitations of those two, knowing this why would anyone expect them to play like silky skilful midfielders? They aren't capable of that, they never have been.

Let's ask Rose to play like Alexander-Arnold, when he fails to do so we should all be outraged at him for failing to pull it off??

Yeah that must be it. Same way Pochettino told Trippier to be shit eh..

You do say some silly shit sometimes. There’s a fucking chasm of difference between being “silky” and competent.

At some point we have to move the ball forwards. I’m certain Mourinho doesn’t say to Dier “when you receive the ball and have ten yards of space in front of you, pass backwards, then hide and put us under pressure”

Back
Top Bottom