Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't expect these two rhinos to play through any press. But if Chelsea back off and give one off them 10 yards of space (as Wolves did in some of those examples) I want them to turn into it and try to pass the football.

What do you want them to do if they have acres of space ahead of them ?
From what you've seen of them are they capable of this currently? Please back-up evidence from this season to support this if you are in the affirmative. (I can post a number of clips of Dier doing this from 15/16 but I'm talking about now).

It's not about what I want them to do or what you want them to do. It's about what they can do. It's about them doing what a pragmatic manager would want/expect them to do in the context of a game where we've had no control and been pressed to fuck and lost almost all the 2nd ball.

From what you've seen of them are they capable of this currently? Please back-up evidence from this season to support this if you are in the affirmative. (I can post a number of clips of Dier doing this from 15/16 but I'm talking about now).

It's not about what I want them to do or what you want them to do. It's about what they can do. It's about them doing what a pragmatic manager would want/expect them to do in the context of a game where we've had no control and been pressed to fuck and lost almost all the 2nd ball.

But we are easy to press and have no control because there are a pair of training cones as CM's.

Positional discipline is fine, but being scared to turn into open pitch has fuck all to do with positional discipline.

And they don't even defend well, the pair of them.

If they can't do simple things then put someone else in there. Wanyama, Skipp, Foyth...fucking anyone couldn't be much worse than these two.

But we are easy to press and have no control because there are a pair of training cones as CM's.

Positional discipline is fine, but being scared to turn into open pitch has fuck all to do with positional discipline.

If they can't do simple things then put someone else in there. Wanyama, Skipp, Foyth...fucking anyone couldn't be much worse than these two.
Please just answer the question

Please just answer the question

I've answered your question. Twice.

I don't expect these two rhinos to play through any press. But if Chelsea back off and give one off them 10 yards of space (as Wolves did in some of those examples) I want them to turn into it and try to pass the football.

Answer mine.

His failure to actually make the effort to properly close people down has cost us goals on a few occasions this season. Newcastle, Brighton, are two glaring examples of his shoddy work. His clumsiness and poor tackling ability has cost us three other goals - West Ham, Bournemouth, ManU pen.
That dose not make him "lazy" just guilty of poor passages of play like.....all footballers playing the game. Lazy is a pejorative and a poor descriptor of his general play.

I've answered your question. Twice.

Answer mine.
You haven't answered the question. I'll ask it again. It's not a trick question.

If we start with Dier and Sissoko in central midfield on Sunday how do you think we will play? What would be our game plan? Do you expect us to play with a low block or a high press? Are we going to play
a) Through their press
or
b) over it

Feel free to elaborate on other scenarios. But please for the love of God I'm not asking for you thoughts on Sissoko or Dier. I'm asking how you expect us to set up and play as a consequence of them starting.

It doesn't matter what I or you WANT. I want Messi to play for us in a false 9. I would like DeJong to be our 8. I would like either of them to progress the ball. But this is irrelevant if they can't do it now.

Last edited:
You haven't answered the question. I'll ask it again. It's not a trick question.

If we start with Dier and Sissoko in central midfield on Sunday how do you think we will play? What would be our game plan? Do you expect us to play with a low block or a high press? Are we going to play
a) Through their press
or
b) over it

Feel free to elaborate on other scenarios. But please for the love of God I'm not asking for you thoughts on Sissoko or Dier. I'm asking how you expect us to set up and play as a consequence of them starting.

It doesn't matter what I or you WANT. I want Messi to play for us in a false 9. I would like DeJong to be our 8. I would like either of them to progress the ball. But this is irrelevant if they can't do it now.

It is a trick question, because it’s disingenuous. It’s irrelevant to the point people are making about the inadequacy of Dier and Sisdoko.

I don’t give a fuck which tactics we apply, these two aren’t good enough. Low block, bypass midfield, these two aren’t good enough. They not only struggle with basic football stuff, they are shit defensively- even when we are shelling games (see Bayern or Wolves).

I do not care what tactics we apply, these two are inept.

It is a trick question, because it’s disingenuous. It’s irrelevant to the point people are making about the inadequacy of Dier and Sisdoko.

I don’t give a fuck which tactics we apply, these two aren’t good enough. Low block, bypass midfield, these two aren’t good enough. They not only struggle with basic football stuff, they are shit defensively- even when we are shelling games (see Bayern or Wolves).

Sissoko played line-breaking passes against Liverpool in the CL Final.

:adethumbup:

Why so defensive? It's a genuine question?

It's not irrelevant because we play on Sunday and there's a chance they start. It is a relevant question because their limitations will dictate how we play.

You do care what tactics we play because you create new match threads to discuss them. You do care about the tactics we play because you participate in a thread dedicated on the subject.

:adethumbup:

Why so defensive? It's a genuine question?

It's not irrelevant because we play on Sunday and there's a chance they start. It is a relevant question because their limitations will dictate how we play.

You do care what tactics we play because you create new match threads to discuss them. You do care about the tactics we play because you participate in a thread dedicated on the subject.

I didn’t say I didn’t care what tactics we play, I said I don’t care what tactics we play - these two aren’t good enough to play them.

The fact that our tactics are being limited because a manager wants to adapt them to two bad players doesn’t impress me, either.

Back
Top Bottom