Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I didn’t say I didn’t care what tactics we play, I said I don’t care what tactics we play - these two aren’t good enough to play them.

The fact that our tactics are being limited because a manager wants to adapt them to two bad players doesn’t impress me, either.
But playing them more or less confirms how we will play (with one eye cast on what we expect from the oppo too) based on what they can or can’t do. Wanting them to play like the 8 and/or 6 you want will not change their ability of what the present dictates what they can currently do.

So, on Sunday, do you think we will play a low block and attempt to play over their high press (I’m obviously making my assumption that this is how they will play)?

If it helps, I think we will see the exact same game as we did against Wolves. I haven’t been watching Chelsea play in thier current poor run of form and the reason for it, so I hope whatever their issues are they continue.

But playing them more or less confirms how we will play (with one eye cast on what we expect from the oppo too) based on what they can or can’t do. Wanting them to play like the 8 and/or 6 you want will not change their ability of what the present dictates what they can currently do.

So, on Sunday, do you think we will play a low block and attempt to play over their high press (I’m obviously making my assumption that this is how they will play)?

If it helps, I think we will see the exact same game as we did against Wolves. I haven’t been watching Chelsea play in thier current poor run of form and the reason for it, so I hope whatever their issues are they continue.

We may well play like that, but I repeat, this isn’t my biggest issue. And it isn’t that I expect Dier and Sissoko to suddenly become good footballers who don’t hide and can play incisive passes. I just expect them to hide less and when they have simple and easy opportunities to turn forwards and at least look, even for a simple pass, they do that, instead of just bunting the ball back to a defender and dragging the press onto us even more.

And if they can’t do that, then I want Mourinho to stop picking them or I want him gone, the same way I did with Poch for making the same mistakes.

We may well play like that, but I repeat, this isn’t my biggest issue. And it isn’t that I expect Dier and Sissoko to suddenly become good footballers who don’t hide and can play incisive passes. I just expect them to hide less and when they have simple and easy opportunities to turn forwards and at least look, even for a simple pass, they do that, instead of just bunting the ball back to a defender and dragging the press onto us even more.

And if they can’t do that, then I want Mourinho to stop picking them or I want him gone, the same way I did with Poch for making the same mistakes.
Lol already?
Levy doesn't care about that he just cares about results.

A lot though is still having other players available for selection. Poch was hampered with player availability and so to Jose (although not as much). He has already acknowledged that he doesn't see Sissoko as a CM/DM, that's the best thing he's said since he's been here, yet he's playing him in that slot TWICE because he sees it as his best compromise.

There is such a thing as context and nuance in team selections, it's never black and white.

With Dier he can play a simple forward pass, he's performed this function couple of seasons back (please do not see that as an invitation for me saying he's world-class, he's not) but he's only just got back from nearly 18 months out he needs games to get him to match fit and get back up to speed, the only way of doing this is to play him and go through some pain whilst he's building both his physical and mental states. He's already much improved from his first showings where he couldn't trap a ball and the game past him by. And yes, I'm sure his manager has given him a little pep talk about keeping everything simple, so that is exactly what he's doing.

The hope is that Jose has the bollox to play Ndombele now he's fit for selection and this topic will be less thorny but as we've all seen he too is miles off the pace right now, whilst looking good on the ball for 60mins and not so good off it, when the clock chimes on the hour mark Cindrella needs to head to the bench and an oxygen tent. Or maybe he opts for Winks for one of them.

As it stands I think one of them has to start, my choice would be Dier and have him as the deeper of the two pivot roles. Then have a better ball player ahead be that Winks, Ndombele or even Skipp.

But whatever happens, going forward we still do not have a midfield that can compete and win the midfield battleground no matter what the combination is fielded. This will dictate our tactics for a game, if we can't play through the oppo midfield don't lose your shit when we choose to adopt another way of getting the ball up the pitch, right now (oppo specific) it's down to Toby being one of our most creative players.

These are Dier's games since Mourinho arrived:

23Nov 2019West Ham2 - 3Tottenham
26Nov 2019Tottenham4 - 2Olympiakos
30Nov 2019Tottenham3 - 2Bournemouth
07Dec 2019Tottenham5 - 0Burnley
11Dec 2019B Munich3 - 1Tottenham
15Dec 2019Wolves1 - 2Tottenham

The likelihood is that he'll play Sunday.

I make that seven full games in a 30-day period. (Other than the Olympiacos game, I can't remember him being subbed, or if he was, it was for the last few minutes)

How long do we give him to get 'match fit'? Surely this excuse for his extremely ordinary performances has sailed?

I make that seven full games in a 30-day period. (Other than the Olympiacos game, I can't remember him being subbed, or if he was, it was for the last few minutes)

How long do we give him to get 'match fit'? Surely this excuse for his extremely ordinary performances has sailed?

Wait, why are we using those 7 games AGAINST him?

7 games we, like, won?

7 games we, like, won?

That's six games. One of them (Olympiakos) he was subbed at 28 minutes with us losing 2-0.

And most of those we should be winning shouldn't we? And two of those we coughed up three goal leads and nearly ended up drawing. The one we shouldn't automatically win we were thoroughly outplayed and beaten. The other one which wasn't a gimme (Wolves) we were thoroughly outplayed and skanked a last minute winner.

That's six games. One of them (Olympiakos) he was subbed at 28 minutes with us losing 2-0.

And most of those we should be winning shouldn't we? And two of those we coughed up three goal leads and nearly ended up drawing. The one we shouldn't automatically win we were thoroughly outplayed and beaten. The other one which wasn't a gimme (Wolves) we were thoroughly outplayed and skanked a last minute winner.

Honestly I don't know why you bother. I find your honesty refreshing but the negativity and the negative language make me wonder why you follow spurs as everything seems to annoy you. The wolves game for example: I saw it as playing a very good team, matching them in shots on target ( and no I don't include attempts because if it ain't on target it ain't gonna be a goal) and being resilient enough and switched on enough to earn a win. I don't think there was any luck there, I thought we scored 2 good goals and defended well so I think you saying we skanked a last minute win is a bit harsh on us tbh.

Keep up the honesty and don't be blinkered but why be so down on us and individual players?

Anyways, seasons greetings

7 games we, like, won?

Agreed, however it was despite him, rather than because of him.

You might as well say Skipp was on the bench for all those games so we won it because of the strength on the bench..

Dier didn't win these games for us.

It's six games unless you're counting tomorrow's win?

Any old win will do tomorrow. A last minute score off Aurier's ear via Dele's shin?

Come on lads.

I don't know why people are being so harsh on him to be honest. Yes, he's not world class and yes he's not fully up to his previous form, but he's the best option we've got right now.
If we don't pick up a top DM in January I'll be more concerned, but for now we have to play with the squad we've got.

Back
Top Bottom