Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

giphy.webp

If we give him a new contract that tells me the club haven't a clue how to turn things around and perhaps don't even think there is a problem to fix

Either way get used to sub par performances and results being the norm going forwards

If we give him a new contract that tells me the club haven't a clue how to turn things around and perhaps don't even think there is a problem to fix

This seems clear. Which I understand from Levy's perspective as he's a non-football person who is a megalomaniac in denial about his own failures and desperately trying to preserve a veneer that things are okay.

But Mourinho is an outsider and knows better.

I don't understand this at all.

I think we'll see a few squad players getting new contract, it's not good for the club to have players in the position where they're winding down their contracts and can go for free.

Dier is a bit of a tricky one. He's had some great spells with us, but he just doesn't seem to be able to rediscover that form. If he's done done it by now though, will he ever? He's definitely not the player he was, but I don't really know why.

If Dier can lose two stone he can still be very important for us. His injuries and illnesses have affected his condition too much, but he can recover. The concern is the overall makeup of our midfield.

Dembele was such a freak that he essentially allowed the other players to take it easy for 5 years, they never really had to suffer in a midfield battle when he was there as he could receive the ball under insane pressure, could dribble past anyone, rarely hit a stray pass and was also an excellent recoverer of the ball. Now all the other players flaws are being exposed. Ndombele is the one we are expecting to assume the mantle but I’m not convinced by him, he’s fat and walks around when we don’t have the ball. He’s a great dribbler and he likes to pass forward but as a CM in the engine room he’s simply not ready. Sissoko has taken the role for now but he is a very limited player, you cannot play great football with a CM who is afraid of the ball. Winks has something about him but plays crab-ball too frequently. Wanyama has no legs. Skipp is an interesting prospect but very, very young.

We were so lucky to have Modric and then Dembele as his replacement, now we are seeing how quickly a team can turn to shit once they lose quality in the centre. Our number one transfer priority must be finding a player who can do what those two used to do and IMPOSE themselves on the game. None of the midfielders we have can do that now and they only ever did it before because Dembele did most of the work. Right now opponents enjoy playing against our midfield because it’s nothing special. You need a special player in there or at the very least, 3 very solid all rounders like Liverpool. We just don’t have that, we have some players who can perform certain limited roles but thats it.

But why (as per previous post) do you think Levy is a non-football person? He knows more about football than anyone on this forum.

Levy is a business guy. Football people live and breathe the technical aspects of the game 24/7/365.

It's very much an English Jerry Jones situation, right down to the gleaming crown jewel of a stadium project that flatters a sporting operation seemingly unable to get out of its own way.

Levy is a business guy. Football people live and breathe the technical aspects of the game 24/7/365.

It's very much an English Jerry Jones situation, right down to the gleaming crown jewel of a stadium project that flatters a sporting operation seemingly unable to get out of its own way.

On that basis, no club has a "football man" as chairman....

So why use it as an inherent stick to beat ours with....?

Other clubs do not have chairmen so deeply involved with the day to day of the sporting operation.

I don't mean to make this into a Levy cunt-off, we have plenty of threads to do that elsewhere. My original point was wondering why Mourinho, who surely had a say in this, would be blind to the obvious problems with the squad generally and with Dier specifically.

He is unquestionably a football person and does not have a view biased or distorted by the psychodrama of the club's past few years. He's just the guy who has to throw a guy who's forgotten how to play football out there as the linchpin of his system every weekend.

Back
Top Bottom