Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He’s not asked to turn backwards when he has 10 yards of space ahead of him.

And for what it’s worth Jenas, when he did a similar piece on MOTD2, highlighted both Sissoko and Dier doing the same shit stuff.
This is just odd because we spend 62 million on the F***ing answer. Play N'dombele when fit next to Dier. Play him for as long as he lasts. If that's an hour so be it he'll do more damage in that time than the endless permutations of Dier/Sissoko/winks. It's time to start putting players in position to maximize assets and hide limitations. Ditto Sissoko plays RB for me he can do everything Aurier can with less mania. When we play bus parkers Winks for Dier because he gets it out of feet and on the half turn better than Eric, teams who attack like Wolves Eric's physicality till we can upgrade him gets him a start. Job done

This is just odd because we spend 62 million on the F***ing answer. Play N'dombele when fit next to Dier. Play him for as long as he lasts. If that's an hour so be it he'll do more damage in that time than the endless permutations of Dier/Sissoko/winks. It's time to start putting players in position to maximize assets and hide limitations. Ditto Sissoko plays RB for me he can do everything Aurier can with less mania. When we play bus parkers Winks for Dier because he gets it out of feet and on the half turn better than Eric, teams who attack like Wolves Eric's physicality till we can upgrade him gets him a start. Job done

Sissoko is as clumsy as Aurier, has worse technical ability and is lazy. It’s a no from me on that one, and I’m not Aurier’s biggest fan.

You do say some silly shit sometimes. There’s a fucking chasm of difference between being “silky” and competent.

At some point we have to move the ball forwards. I’m certain Mourinho doesn’t say to Dier “when you receive the ball and have ten yards of space in front of you, pass backwards, then hide and put us under pressure”
I'm putting it to you that in a game where we've been pressed to shit, had no control over as a direct result, that for him to slow the game down or pass it back to Toby to hit a ball over the midfield (more accurately than he could) is exactly what Jose is telling him to do.

Why would you instruct a player that doesn't, nor hardly ever has in the past, to now carry the ball forward into space in front of him, or turn and hit that line-breaking pass first time to the AM? Just cast your mind back to the MULTIPLE passes that Dier has tried to hit that get cut out and then the oppo can counter-attack us?

I suspect that he's been instructed to play it very simple, gain some confidence, build on this as he's going to get regular mins under Jose (he's certainly signalled him out for some love). Why ask Dier to be Bousquets when he's more like Mascherano.

I'm putting it to you that in a game where we've been pressed to shit, had no control over as a direct result, that for him to slow the game down or pass it back to Toby to hit a ball over the midfield (more accurately than he could) is exactly what Jose is telling him to do.

Why would you instruct a player that doesn't, nor hardly ever has in the past, to now carry the ball forward into space in front of him, or turn and hit that line-breaking pass first time to the AM? Just cast your mind back to the MULTIPLE passes that Dier has tried to hit that get cut out and then the oppo can counter-attack us?

I suspect that he's been instructed to play it very simple, gain some confidence, build on this as he's going to get regular mins under Jose (he's certainly signalled him out for some love). Why ask Dier to be Bousquets when he's more like Mascherano.

Bollocks.

How much confidence should a 25yo professional footballer need to just turn into 10 yards of open pitch and look for a pass?

I put it to you that you can be very forgiving of some shit and less so of other shit.

Bollocks.

How much confidence should a 25yo professional footballer need to just turn into 10 yards of open pitch and look for a pass?

I put it to you that you can be very forgiving of some shit and less so of other shit.
So please tell me the time that Dier (and Sissoko) regularly played incisive line-breaking passes for Spurs? When has this ever been part of their game? When have you waxed lyrical about this quality in the pair of them, link me to your posts, please?

Bollocks.

It is as clear as day that Mourinho instructed Dier to play that square pass to him in the 34th minute. What was less impressive was Mourinho's touch as we ended up conceding a throw-in.

So please tell me the time that Dier (and Sissoko) regularly played incisive line-breaking passes for Spurs? When has this ever been part of their game? When have you waxed lyrical about this quality in the pair of them, link me to your posts, please?

Who the fuck is talking about incisive, line-braking passes?

I’m talking about basic shit like just turning forwards into a chasm of space and looking for any fucking pass.

Your (entirely straw man) argument is “if they aren’t Pirlo they shouldn’t even do basic things”

I’m talking about basic shit like just turning forwards into a chasm of space and looking for any fucking pass.

Your (entirely straw man) argument is “if they aren’t Pirlo they shouldn’t even do basic things”
And just how many of those has Dier made that have been intercepted? He simply isn't ready to play against a high-pressing team like Wolves having been out for nearly a year and a half and had no pre-season.

Wolves pressed the shit out of us constantly, there comes a time when we need to gain some shape and put some calmness into what we are doing, this is what he's doing. It's not me protecting him, I would love to see him put a quick ball into Dele's feet so he, in turn, could take it on the half-turn, but he doesn't do this that often, it's simply not the player he is and there absolutely is time to slow the game down when we've been under wave after wave of attack.

Do you really see us playing through the thirds and through Chelsea's midfield on Sunday? Or do you see us being aggressively pressed and us going over the top of it?

I get what you are saying, but you are painting into bit too positive colors.

We were too much pushed back throughout the game and Wolves had too many chances. We were lucky that Jimenez did not put any of his decent chances to the net.

You make it sound like everything went exactly according to the plan and we won comfortably, when in fact it was well played corner, but also quite some luck was involved that we got away with all 3 points. Going forward, we will lose smth like 4 out of 10 such games, draw another 4 and maybe win 2 tops.

Firstly Rome wasn't built in a day, he's only been here five minutes. Secondly Liverpool have been grinding out those kinds of wins all season, its the mark of a good team.

And just how many of those has Dier made that have been intercepted? He simply isn't ready to play against a high-pressing team like Wolves having been out for nearly a year and a half and had no pre-season.

Wolves pressed the shit out of us constantly, there comes a time when we need to gain some shape and put some calmness into what we are doing, this is what he's doing. It's not me protecting him, I would love to see him put a quick ball into Dele's feet so he, in turn, could take it on the half-turn, but he doesn't do this that often, it's simply not the player he is and there absolutely is time to slow the game down when we've been under wave after wave of attack.

Do you really see us playing through the thirds and through Chelsea's midfield on Sunday? Or do you see us being aggressively pressed and us going over the top of it?

Rubbish. Utter rubbish.

He put us under more pressure by going backwards when he could have turned and passed the ball, and helped us retain it and take pressure off, instead he passed it to a CB or keeper, then hid, which forced them to just whack it long or give it away. That’s not gaining shape or calmness, that’s spreading panic and inviting pressure.

Rubbish. Utter rubbish.

He put us under more pressure by going backwards when he could have turned and passed the ball, and helped us retain it and take pressure off, instead he passed it to a CB or keeper, then hid, which forced them to just whack it long or give it away. That’s not gaining shape or calmness, that’s spreading panic and inviting pressure.
So you ARE expecting us to pass through the thirds of a pressing opposition with Dier and Sissoko at the centre of our midfield. What a load of old wank.

Let's see this play out on Sunday, shall we?

So you ARE expecting us to pass through the thirds of a pressing opposition with Dier and Sissoko at the centre of our midfield. What a load of old wank.

Let's see this play out on Sunday, shall we?

If you are just going to keep repeating the same spurious straw man argument, I'll just cut and paste the same answer I gave above.

If you are just going to keep repeating the same spurious straw man argument, I'll just cut and paste the same answer I gave above.
Please tell me if we start on Sunday with Sissoko and Dier in central midfield how are we going to play? Are you expecting us to play through their press or over it? No strawman here, just want your opinion based on what we know about how we play with these two.

Please tell me if we start on Sunday with Sissoko and Dier in central midfield how are we going to play? Are you expecting us to play through their press or over it? No strawman here, just want your opinion based on what we know about how we play with these two.

I don't expect these two rhinos to play through any press. But if Chelsea back off and give one off them 10 yards of space (as Wolves did in some of those examples) I want them to turn into it and try to pass the football.

What do you want them to do if they have acres of space ahead of them ?

Back
Top Bottom