Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Modric was a brilliant midfielder for us and certainly also in his last season, even though he was disappointed that he hadn't made a transfer in the summer (of 2011).
He was incredible for us, but, let's be honest, he was no Bale (just like even in 2016/17, Eriksen was no Kane), and as you said, he was dissapointed after 2011 (although I don't remember him downing tools as much as Eriksen).

he was dissapointed after 2011 (although I don't remember him downing tools as much as Eriksen).
He was for a while, but still played very well and almost every match in his last season for us and you couldn't complain about his work-rate either; he did what he had to do on the pitch and got himself a transfer to one of the biggest clubs in the world.

Last edited:
Fans love the club. Eriksen wants a new club. Not only that, but he is going about it in a way that ensures the club loses out on a big payday to replace him. All so he and his agent can pocket the spoils.
Leta suggest after a few good years at the company you work for, you decide to move on. You can arrange that any payment for your services from your new employer, maybe three years of salary, go to your present employer or you and your family.

I assume you’d be delighted to give it to your employer rather than keep it to yourself?

Leta suggest after a few good years at the company you work for, you decide to move on. You can arrange that any payment for your services from your new employer, maybe three years of salary, go to your present employer or you and your family.

I assume you’d be delighted to give it to your employer rather than keep it to yourself?

If I were being paid millions, then sure.

I support Spurs. Not players wanting out at the expense of Spurs. We need a squad overhaul desperately and need funds to compete.

Eriksen signed a contract just before leaving Ajax to maximise their profits. He knows what he is doing and fair play to him. I'm not going to pat him on the back for fucking us over anytime soon though.

If I were being paid millions, then sure.

I support Spurs. Not players wanting out at the expense of Spurs. We need a squad overhaul desperately and need funds to compete.

Eriksen signed a contract just before leaving Ajax to maximise their profits. He knows what he is doing and fair play to him. I'm not going to pat him on the back for fucking us over anytime soon though.
No you wouldn’t. And neither should he. He’s on around £3m a year. Gets about half that after tax and agent fee. And he’s got a chance to pocket about £10m on a signing fee. And you expect him to leave that money with Billionaire Joe? Have a sit down.

I don’t like what he’s doing either, but I understand it. He’s not a Spurs fan, he’s an employee.

No you wouldn’t. And neither should he. He’s on around £3m a year. Gets about half that after tax and agent fee. And he’s got a chance to pocket about £10m on a signing fee. And you expect him to leave that money with Billionaire Joe? Have a sit down.

I don’t like what he’s doing either, but I understand it. He’s not a Spurs fan, he’s an employee.

If Spurs were to benefit to the tune of £30m then that could easily cover the £10m signing on fee that Eriksen would get elsewhere.

Its much more likely that Eriksen won’t risk it because nobody wanted him for cheap in the summer so why would they want him when they have to pay a much larger fee?

If Spurs were to benefit to the tune of £30m then that could easily cover the £10m signing on fee that Eriksen would get elsewhere.

Its much more likely that Eriksen won’t risk it because nobody wanted him for cheap in the summer so why would they want him when they have to pay a much larger fee?
You mean he goes now if someone bids £30m and we give him £10m as a golden goodbye? Is that a thing?

You mean he goes now if someone bids £30m and we give him £10m as a golden goodbye? Is that a thing?

Nah I meant if he were to sign for a European club on a free now we get nothing but if he signed a contract and we then sell for £30m we could give him £10m for it to cover the signing on fee he would’ve got and we benefit to the tune of £20m as a result.

Nah I meant if he were to sign for a European club on a free now we get nothing but if he signed a contract and we then sell for £30m we could give him £10m for it to cover the signing on fee he would’ve got and we benefit to the tune of £20m as a result.
Ah ok, but that would hardly impress his new employer would it? Be great for us though!

I must be naive then because when the top clubs want a player they go and get him. Real Madrid wanted Hazard, who had 1 year left on his contract so they paid over £100m for him.

If Madrid, Barca, Juve etc wanted Eriksen they would have got him. The fact that there was not a single bid and now the player who only wanted to leave for the biggest clubs in Europe is likely off to Inter, who haven’t won anything major for years, says it all about how overrated Eriksen is by some of our fans/media.

I don't think he is overrated. His stats speak for themselves.

A major problem for him is probably the stinker of an attitude, that he has been displaying throughout 2019, and clubs who look to make marquee signings rather don't like that.

I'm not going to have a pop at him for leaving - he signed a contract to play football for Spurs for a specific period of time, and he does not have to sign any new contracts with Spurs.

What I take issue with is the fact since Dec 2018 he has clearly not put much (if any) effort into playing to the best of his ability since then. I'm qualified in the job I'm paid to do, but if I'd underperformed to the same degree that he has, then I'd have been up on a disciplinary and likely sacked by my employers by now.

At least the likes of Bale and Modric continued to play to the best of their ability in their final season as Spurs employees. Unfortunately, Eriksen cannot say the same.

I don't think he is overrated. His stats speak for themselves.

A major problem for him is probably the stinker of an attitude, that he has been displaying throughout 2019, and clubs who look to make marquee signings rather don't like that.

The top clubs obviously disagree with you.

“our best player” according to some on here.

Quite amazing really but there are a few supporters on youtube who think he did quite well. I just don’t get it cos I can’t recall anything that he did that left me thinking positive things. Lo Celso and Lamela were far superior when they came on

He was incredible for us, but, let's be honest, he was no Bale (just like even in 2016/17, Eriksen was no Kane), and as you said, he was dissapointed after 2011 (although I don't remember him downing tools as much as Eriksen).

I would have had modric over bale any day. Modric was a pure footballing genius. His ability with 2-3 men around him was a joy to watch. Modric and peak Dembele in the middle of the park. Imagine that now

Back
Top Bottom