FA Cup 3rd Rd - Middlesbrough F.C. Vs Tottenham, Sun 5th Jan.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Right, in the same way that you replied to my post in which I didn’t say either of the following:

You inferred something from my post that wasn’t explicitly said, and I did likewise.

No.

You false quoted me. Twice.... (I'm pretty sure you know what a quotation is and how that works).

By contrast what i did was respond to you seemingly being at a loss as to why some thought we'd been "wank" (a phrase you DID use).

Last edited:
No.

You false quoted me. Twice.... (I'm pretty sure you know what a quotation is and how that works).

By contrast what i did was respond to you seemingly being at a loss as to why some thought we'd been "wank" (a phrase you DID use).

You responded to this:

Yeah, I don’t get the comments about it being totally wank, at least we are passing the ball again, (to each other,) dominating and getting into “situations” I think the bigger culprits today were Alli, Son and Moura - no composure between the lot of them.

With this:

...Cos passing alone doesn't amount to much; neither does possession without meaningful penetration.

Add to that the caliber of opposition and I think it's obvious where opinions of "wank" come from.

Your last line did relate to the "wank" comment. But your first line was what you used to qualify what others (and presumably you) see as potentially "wank". Otherwise why put those sentences together and say that's "where opinions of wank come from".

Your first line clearly sets out why you think there was a case to call "passing alone" and "possession without meaningful penetration" as "wank" or perceived as "wank".

So I responded by explaining why I don't think what we did today, and this approach in general for us isn't necessarily wank in the context of today and more generally.

If you agree with me, then cool. If not and you do think it was wank today, then now you know why I don't completely agree.

You responded to this:

With this:

Your last line did relate to the "wank" comment. But your first line was what you used to qualify what others (and presumably you) see as potentially "wank". Otherwise why put those sentences together and say that's "where opinions of wank come from".

Your first line clearly sets out why you think there was a case to call "passing alone" and "possession without meaningful penetration" as "wank" or perceived as "wank".

So I responded by explaining why I don't think what we did today, and this approach in general for us isn't necessarily wank in the context of today and more generally.

If you agree with me, then cool. If not and you do think it was wank today, then now you know why I don't completely agree.

I know where you stand... I don't need that explaining to me. Nor is there anything wrong with how I oroginally addressed your post. Neither is there a lack logic or clarity in my overall retort.

I'll make this simple for you...

You said specifically TWICE that I'd said 'possession was "pointless" '(actually putting the term in QUOTE marks*).... I didn't say that; either verbatim, indirectly nor even imply as much.

(*By this I don't mean when you hit the 'quote' button; you attributed that exact statement to me in YOUR written text.... I.e. You falsely attributed words to me that I'd not used)

Can't find the post in question, but I'm happy to conceed I'd misinterpretted it given the underlined statement.

That's not what I'm doing tho'... It's not making excuses. I'm simply highlighting that the club has experienced steady growth under their ownership against a backdrop of radical financial doping by two teams in our league whilst also coming up against other notably richer teams.

Most of the criticism against ENIC is how much they spend on players; yet winning a battle of the cheque-books against 5 richer clubs is an awfully big ask and to outright expect success in the form of trophies given that landscape is to deny the circumstances of the league we compete in.

I've taken so much enjoyment and pride from our club over the last 15 years.... It seems sad to me that a section of our fanbase have spent to bulk of that time pissing and moaning; claiming things to be "unacceptable", "embarrassing" and such.

Fair enough mate (for the bolded.)

I completely agree with you that the club has experienced steady growth and considering the teams we have been up against in terms of the financial power they have shown it has been remarkable that we have kept pace in recent years, however, we are now losing pace imo and have squandered possibly our best chance under the ENIC model to win silverware in recent years, there is a multitude of reasons behind that, one of which and probably the biggest, is not strengthening at key moments when we were at our peak and the other was Pochettino and his inability to get over the line.

Now I also completely agree with you that ENIC simply can't, or don't want to, compete in a battle of the chequebooks and that's fine, it's their choice.

But as a supporter of this club and someone who knows that football is not going to change and that in the end, money will always prevail, I think we are going to continue backing a losing horse under ENIC (in terms of the football side of things) and we aren't going to win trophies with them.

You already know I am not one to celebrate their business achievements, as much as that business model has improved us and allowed us to compete, it also hinders us from pushing forward, therefore, despite their achievements with us, I would prefer an owner more motivated by success and winning rather than one that simply wants to run a profitable business model over everything else, again, I am not disputing they have improved our football club massively, they have, no doubt about it but I feel like we have hit our ceiling under their ownership because of the financial limitations they choose to prioritise in their business model.

I have also enjoyed their time being our owners but just like Pochettino whom I also enjoyed having as our manager, I feel like it's time we moved on because at this point nothing will change as long as they are here imo.

Last edited:
I know where you stand... I don't need that explaining to me. Nor is there anything wrong with how I oroginally addressed your post. Neither is there a lack logic or clarity in my overall retort.

I'll make this simple for you...

You said specifically TWICE that I'd said 'possession was "pointless" '(actually putting the term in QUOTE marks*).... I didn't say that; either verbatim, indirectly nor even imply as much.

(*By this I don't mean when you hit the 'quote' button; you attributed that exact statement to me in YOUR written text.... I.e. You falsely attributed words to me that I'd not used)

OK, so do you believe what you wrote:

...Cos passing alone doesn't amount to much; neither does possession without meaningful penetration.

Add to that the caliber of opposition and I think it's obvious where opinions of "wank" come from.

Or are you just the spokesperson for the "Wank-ers"*

Because you aren't really making your position clear. Do you agree with me that possession wasn't pointless or are you a "wank-er"?

*Purely for convenience this is the term for those that hold the opinions of "wank" today.

Fair enough mate (for the bolded.)

I completely agree with you that the club has experience steady growth and considering the teams we have been up against in terms of the financial power they have shown it has been remarkable that we have kept pace in recent years, however, we are now losing pace imo and have squandered possibly our best chance under the ENIC model to win silverware in recent years, there is a multitude of reasons behind that, one of which and probably the biggest, is not strengthening at key moments when we were at our peak and the other was Pochettino and his inability to get over the line.

Now I also completely agree with you that ENIC simply can't, or don't want to, compete in a battle of the chequebooks and that's fine, it's their choice.

But as a supporter of this club and someone who knows that football is not going to change and that in the end, money will always prevail, I think we are going to continue backing a losing horse under ENIC (in terms of the football side of things) and we aren't going to win trophies with them.

You already know I am not one to celebrate their business achievements, as much as that business model has improved us and allowed us to compete, it also hinders us from pushing forward, therefore, despite their achievements with us, I would prefer an owner more motivated by success and winning rather than one that simply wants to run a profitable business model over everything else, again, I am not disputing they have improved our football club massively, they have, no doubt about it but I feel like we have hit our ceiling under their ownership because of the financial limitations they choose to prioritise in their business model.

I have also enjoyed their time being our owners but just like Pochettino whom I also enjoyed having as our manager, I feel like it's time we moved on because at this point nothing will change as long as they are here imo.

I shan't dissect everything you've written through a reluctance to stir up some (imo) very tired debates, so fair enough.

For clarity though, I'm not in the business of celebrating ENICs "business achievements" (and I think very few are).... I choose to embrace the fact that right now not getting top four is widely considered a crisis; that we had a good enough team to get to the CL final (I know that sucks and it's doesn't compare to the glory of winning the damn thing), that we are able to sign increasingly expensive player or increasingly contracts and that ultimately we've been one of the dominant teams in the country for much of the last 5 years. These aren't business achievements.... They're tangible on-pitch footballing improvements. Achievements that I feel are all the more noteworthy because of the landscape we face.

I see these things as irrefutable.

Now, if someone would like to see us bought out by owners that would pump £X00m into the club then to allow us to financially compete with City/Utd/Chavs then touche (even if certain personal and political ethics would prevent me from welcoming a sports-washing regime like City's lot). However, we don't have the lee-way that City and the Chavs once abused in the past in order to artificially inflate their coffers (FFP has put paid to that) . We can't simply tweak out business model as you suggest... Aside from potential organic growth we are what we are. That's what the stadium project is about... Increasing revenue streams so that we CAN spend more on the team.

OK, so do you believe what you wrote:

Or are you just the spokesperson for the "Wank-ers"*

Because you aren't really making your position clear. Do you agree with me that possession wasn't pointless or are you a "wank-er"?

*Purely for convenience this is the term for those that hold the opinions of "wank" today.

:mourfacepalm:

Pffffftttt.... What-the fuck-ever, Blakey.

You're being an absolute wormy cunt... 'Funny' thing is you blatantly don't even realise it.

Well that's just you making shit up. I haven't claimed Poch was faultless, but yes, I think he's a better manager than Mourinho.

Poch made it very clear that his priorities were the bigger tournaments, so there would always be a chance of an early exit. I'm sure you'll beat him for that because he never won a big competition

So what did Poch ever win to back up your theory??

Then compare it to what Mourinho has won

Then come back and explain why Poch is a better manager

I can’t wait 😊

Mourinho won’t get 86 points with the team having the best defensive and offensive record in a 38 game season. That’s why.

so same question and try to answer it before you get pissed

What has Poch EVER won?

What has José won with every team he’s managed?

Compare the two records

Then tell me who is the better manager

Waiting with baited breath

Who is the winning manager?

Who is the serial loser?

so same question and try to answer it before you get pissed

What has Poch EVER won?

What has José won with every team he’s managed?

Compare the two records

Then tell me who is the better manager

Waiting with baited breath

Who is the winning manager?

Who is the serial loser?
Yes Baz, Mourinho’s record is superb. He obviously was a much better manager than Poch. I’d be an idiot to deny that. My question was - can you see him bettering 86 points whilst having the best defensive and offensive record in the league?

Back to the game - of course possession is meaningful - the team with the highest possession statistics has won all but a few off the EPL titles ... no coincidence.

Obviously having the ball is better than not having the ball despite what Blakey weirdly thinks. What you do with the ball is what matters and yesterday our passes into the final third were entirely woeful ...

Eriksen just two KP's he normally does that in his sleep ... in fact from 620 passes only 12 KP's that's truly awful. Son had 4 nobody else managed more than two ...

This wasn't an even game, we utterly dominated 71% possession - 520 accurate passes to 153 .... it doesn't get much more one-sided than that we just aren't doing enough with all that dominance.

Credit to M'boro they defended well but we simply need to do better .... bring on the replay.

Back
Top Bottom