Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I know, but Castles gets good inside info, generally speaking, and has some sort of connection to Mourinho's camp, so I am keeping an open mind on it.
https://www.101greatgoals.com/news/...ow-appointment-may-help-joe-lewis-sell-spurs/

I see... Interesting.

I've seen figures for Mourinho's salary at United varying between £15-£24 Million/year, so, technically, £15 Million/year at Spurs could be a pay-cut from what he was earning at United.

Edit: Link is bad, here's a screenshot.
DnL0qGO.png

I've always seen £15 Million/year, similar to what he was earning at ManUtd.

£20 Million for getting sacked from United? That's almost 2 Georges-Kévin Nkoudous. 😱

If I had that money I'd definitely hire Nkoudou, not to play football.....just to help out with chores

I've always seen £15 Million/year, similar to what he was earning at ManUtd.

£20 Million for getting sacked from United? That's almost 2 Georges-Kévin Nkoudous. 😱
Jesus. I had no idea Mourinho was getting up to £24m at United. Maybe I got my wires crossed somewhere along the way in relation to what Castles said we are paying him.

Jose Mourinho, managing expectations again
Jose Mourinho is right that his attacking plans have been ripped up. Losing Harry Kane was highly unfortunate, but Son Heung-min’s broken bone doubled down on the bad luck. It will be hard to cope.

But that doesn’t excuse Saturday’s performance, which was only made more lamentable by the fact that it was so predictable. It’s one thing setting up defensively and looking to play on the counter attack, but another entirely to sacrifice all control in midfield, launch the ball long to short attackers and still not be able to defend adequately. Steven Bergwijn did well in the circumstances, but those circumstances were made more difficult by his manager.

Mourinho’s problem is that he has become the manager who cried wolf. He can say that Tottenham were not able to attack because they didn’t have either of their two best forwards, and ordinarily we might accept that argument. But can we be confident that it would have been different even if Kane and Son were available? When was the last match in which he attacked against a member of the Big Six?

That Big Six record is also concerning. In his last ten league matches against those clubs, Mourinho’s teams have won one (the victory over Manchester City earlier this month that came with plenty of fortune), drawn two and lost seven. There is no shame in losing to Liverpool or Manchester City, but matches against Woolwich, Chelsea, Tottenham and Manchester United in that run have produced two points from five games. Again, the patience in defensive football in these games dissipates when it doesn’t actually produce acceptable results.

Mourinho’s post-match comments were more than a little disturbing too. Tottenham’s squad is beset by weaknesses, but they have spent £160m on new players this season and Mourinho is the third-highest paid manager in the world. Hearing him wishing the rest of the season away and admitting Tottenham are in trouble as soon as the opposition scores first does make you wince a little. Particularly given that they are still in two cup competitions and four points off the top four.

It all sounds like more expectation management from Mourinho, the same strategy of proactively deflecting criticism that became a staple of his tenures at other clubs. It is on him to find an attacking plan that works in the Champions League and Premier League. Bergwijn, Dele Alli, Giovani Lo Celso and Lucas Moura isn’t nothing.

How did Pochettinos set up against the big 6 played this season when in charge? Did he get as much stick as Mourinho is getting despite having both Kane and/ or Sonny available to select from?

We're people as heavy on Poch as they are Jose for doing the same season 19/20 as we are seeing Jose do I ask?

Against Man City we conceded 30 shots and had 3, 610 passes to our 506. Against Woolwich shots we conceded 26 shots and had 13, 453 passes to our 388. Did Poch get called finished because of his set up in his big 6 games with partially the same squad this season prior to getting axed for poor results?

I read when he arrived that Mourinho is getting 8 mill a year and CL qualification/trophies will earn big bonuses. Makes sense and sounds like a Levy kind of deal

I see it’s being reported that on Saturday Chelsea’s starting 11 and two subs cost £ 219 million and Spurs ( yes there was 3 subs ) cost £284 million.

Now I can’t be arsed to validate that claim but vast sums have been spent of that there is no doubt making JMs comments about Chelsea having the luxury of Giroud to call on pathetic.

I very much have kept my own counsel on Mourinho but it’s abundantly clear that despite his claim that he didn’t need any more players for me that was put toward so he could get the job and in close season he is going to want another £100 million or so and if he doesn’t get what he wants he without doubt will be making mischief.

Lampard clearly is a novice at PL level but he already seems to have JMs number has any other PL manager ever got a double over him?

We have no idea what’s going on behind closed doors but the comments he is clearly making in public are worrying but they are classic Mourinho so we really should have expected them

Its a worry that this supposed World Class manager is not able to get the now very expensive squad into a shape that is on the front foot from minute one and the sheer cost of getting rid of him means that what we see is probably what we are going to get for a while yet.

Half of their team consisted of youngsters they illegally brought to the club for no transfer fees and free transfers for decent wage wedge. They got banned for their handling of signing youngsters if you recall? Those youngsters went to Chelsea ahead of other clubs hence the unfair advantage, hence the ban for their actions.

Chelsea could afford to leave Batshuayi, a £35m striker in the stands. To put it into context we have only ever signed 3 players that cost more, Lo Celso, Sanchez and Ndombele.

To compare the funds Chelsea have to the funds we have based purely on the cost of the starting XI is frankly very foolish mate. Do you forget that our most valuable player in Kane was actually homegrownas well?

Let's compare the wages each starting XI get from and see how that works. That should give you a better understanding of what manager is playing around with financially. Anyone with any idea about both clubs knows the different stratosphere both Chelsea and Spurs work to financially mate, you can't deny that regardless of how your post was packaged.

Last edited:
People wanting Jose gone already is getting 😴....
Now not for a second will I ever say “he took us from 14th to 5th already” or “we have more points than everyone except Liverpool since Jose took over” or whatever other nonsense stats like that there are going around.....

Thing is, he has inherited a squad of players that are the reason he is here in the first place, I mean if the group of players he currently has were as “fucking awesome” as some believe they are then Pochettino would still be here and not Jose, right?

At present with only 11 games left, only 11!!, we have hit the magic 40pt mark, a target of every single relegation team every single year, and most of those point have been got under Jose...

Add to that, the guy has had to basically do without Kane since he got here, now he has lost Kane’s cover man Son into the bargain, we have also had to lose Eriksen (for obvious reasons), so the reality is the main attacking element of Pochettino’s reign has been non existent to the new manager....
Additionally, Jose always builds his teams from the back, and we all know our panel of defenders is fucking done as we once knew it.....

The man can not be judged at this point, no manager could be, except Pochettino, who has the ability to control and address the squad issues long before now.....

Let’s judge Jose this time next year and see where we are at.....

Since taking over Mourinho has been in charge for 23 games:

Harry Kane - missed 12 out of the 23

Son - missed 5 out of the 23

Sissoko - missed 12 out of the 23

Davies - missed 18 out of the 23

Lloris - missed 16 out of the 23

He's had to piece things together without our num1, World Cup winning GK, our number 1 choice LB, our player of the season last year, our ex-players player of the season last year and our most valuable and prolific player(s)

I understand that people ain't keen on him as a character and it will drive certain judgements of him but I don't see how it's fair to berate him lik we are seeing with so many limitations occurring in a squad that frankly isn't one he built or had any say in building.

How did Pochettinos set up against the big 6 played this season when in charge? Did he get as much stick as Mourinho is getting despite having both Kane and/ or Sonny available to select from?

We're people as heavy on Poch as they are Jose for doing the same season 19/20 as we are seeing Jose do I ask?

Against Man City we conceded 30 shots and had 3, 610 passes to our 506. Against Woolwich shots we conceded 26 shots and had 13, 453 passes to our 388. Did Poch get called finished because of his set up in his big 6 games with partially the same squad this season prior to getting axed for poor results?
He got fucking pelters and the forum was ablaze with people wanting him to be sacked, it's all in there in black and white. He also as a consequence got the sack!! How have you forgotten this?

I also find it distasteful to erase the record of Poch when playing against the other big sides, he smashed every single one of them in the time he was our manager. Attacking him whilst trying to defend a Chelsea bus parking legend is the height of disrespect.

Until I witness Jose actually stuff a good opponent as Tottenham manager, whilst playing football that gets you out of your seat that will be the day I applaud the dinosaur. And I promise I will do that because he would have earned the right. He's earned absolutely fuck all so far, in fact, he's embarrassing us right now. Let's see what he's got, let's see this new strategy & philosophy he told the World he has been working on during his time out of football. Has anyone seen it yet, I mean just a little bit of it yet?

He got fucking pelters and the forum was ablaze with people wanting him to be sacked, it's all in there in black and white. He also as a consequence got the sack!! How have you forgotten this?

I also find it distasteful to erase the record of Poch when playing against the other big sides, he smashed every single one of them in the time he was our manager. Attacking him whilst trying to defend a Chelsea bus parking legend is the height of disrespect.

Until I witness Jose actually stuff a good opponent as Tottenham manager, whilst playing football that gets you out of your seat that will be the day I applaud the dinosaur. And I promise I will do that because he would have earned the right. He's earned absolutely fuck all so far, in fact, he's embarrassing us right now. Let's see what he's got, let's see this new strategy & philosophy he told the World he has been working on during his time out of football. Has anyone seen it yet, I mean just a little bit of it yet?

Did he get sacked because of his performances agains the top 6 or because we were languishing in 13th place whilst getting hammered 7-2 from Bayern and 3-0 away at Brighton?

I agree you're within your rights to hold off until Mourinho produces something of notable quality to applaud him, my issue is we've seen Merson, Keown, many media outlets having digs at Mourinho for doing the same that Poch did against the top 6 this season with the same squad. I get that some have moaned about both for the same decisions made and that I can stomach, the ones that annoy me are those that said nothing when Poch did it yet hammer Mourinho for much of the same.

I also find it distasteful to erase the record of Poch when playing against the other big sides, he smashed every single one of them in the time he was our manager.
How many trophies do you get for beating the rest of the top 6?
Here’s an interesting fact;

EVERY. SINGLE.ONE of the rest of the top 6 won a trophy during Pochs tenure.

Woolwich x 2 FA Cups

Utd FA Cup, EL, CC, Super Cup

Chelsea FA Cup, Carabou, 2x PL, EL

City FA Cup, 3x Carabou, 2x PL

Liverpool CL

So please explain two things:

1) While we were smashing these sides regularly in the PL, why were we losing to them with mish mash b teams in the domestics?

2) If Jose is past it, yet during Pochs era managed to win the EL, CC and Super Cup Treble with a Utd side that was worse than Pochs Spurs side, and a PL and CC double with Chelsea, then why isn’t Poch also past it, seeing as his best football was also during that era, and yielded fuck all?

Seems like you just null and voided the resources argument here, the final fallacy.
We could “smash” them in the PL and finish above them, but not in semis and finals?

Last edited:
Domestic teams Poch lost to in cups
CL - Liverpool

CC - Chelsea x2 (one Final one Semi) Woolwich, Liverpool, West Ham, Colchester

FA Cup - Palace x2, Leicester, Chelsea (semi) Utd (semi)

So lost to top 6 rivals on seven separate occasions in the cups including two finals and three semis.
Against teams we smashed in the league and finished above regularly.

Must be too much ego in winning something I guess. What gives?

Half of their team consisted of youngsters they illegally brought to the club for no transfer fees and free transfers for decent wage wedge. They got banned for their handling of signing youngsters if you recall? Those youngsters went to Chelsea ahead of other clubs hence the unfair advantage, hence the ban for their actions.

Chelsea could afford to leave Batshuayi, a £35m striker in the stands. To put it into context we have only ever signed 3 players that cost more, Lo Celso, Sanchez and Ndombele.

To compare the funds Chelsea have to the funds we have based purely on the cost of the starting XI is frankly very foolish mate. Do you forget that our most valuable player in Kane was actually homegrownas well?

Let's compare the wages each starting XI get from and see how that works. That should give you a better understanding of what manager is playing around with financially. Anyone with any idea about both clubs knows the different stratosphere both Chelsea and Spurs work to financially mate, you can't deny that regardless of how your post was packaged.

The point that I was trying to make is that the players that the two respective clubs had on the pitch in cost terms were not far apart.

As for stating 11 wages It’s worth taking a look at what’s reported on Sportrac. Not so sure that the wages being paid to the two staring 11s were that far apart.

Did he get sacked because of his performances agains the top 6 or because we were languishing in 13th place whilst getting hammered 7-2 from Bayern and 3-0 away at Brighton?

I agree you're within your rights to hold off until Mourinho produces something of notable quality to applaud him, my issue is we've seen Merson, Keown, many media outlets having digs at Mourinho for doing the same that Poch did against the top 6 this season with the same squad. I get that some have moaned about both for the same decisions made and that I can stomach, the ones that annoy me are those that said nothing when Poch did it yet hammer Mourinho for much of the same.
I couldn't give a fuck about what those drunken gooner scum think.

Then why fucking change the manager? Our own fans wanted Poch out, but they wank furiously over the chav king who's done as you say "doing the same that Poch did".

Not having a pop at you personally fella, still fuming that our manager rolled over for his ex-football club twice within 2 two fucking months, without even trying to win the game.

Back
Top Bottom