FA Cup 5th Rd - Tottenham Vs Norwich, Weds 4th March 2020.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Does anyone know the reasoning behind picking vorm?
Also was winks actually playing today? To me it looked like a few of the players didn’t actually care or have any fight for the team and to be in the cup for the fans. We only played with some aggression and fight in the last 10 minutes and the crowd got behind the team, I don’t get why Mourinho can’t get the team to be like that from the off?
To be fair I was shocked when I saw Vorm's name on the team list. The only thing I could think of was that Mourinho wanted to give him a game to keep him sweet, unless Gazza had a slight/potential issue and needed to be protected?

I thought our main failing last night was not pressing when they had the ball. This allowed them way too much time, so their confidence grew. 1-1 was a fair result. We should have worked harder for a second goal in the first half. Our lack of strikers was most painful.

Cantwell had an excellent game for them - always a threat.

Pluses for us - LoCelso was good - and one of the few who didn't shirk a challenge. Aurier worked his socks off and Skippy looked good. Dier's performance was also good, as was Vertonghen's. Lucas also worked very hard.

Gedson was disappointing.

Dele Alli was ABSOLUTELY APPALLING. Nancying around the place, trotting, messing everything up, not finding the pass - all his worst traits concentrated into one game. He should have been subbed after 60 minutes.

Overall, I blame Mourinho's 'sit back' tactics for us not winning (and the fact that we have no goal scorers!).

But that's in vitro. Surely I need not post the contradictory data on carotenoids in vitro vs the longitudinal studies that showed increased lung cancer risk?
That link is currently considered very tenuous for non-smokers and is not exactly strong for smokers at this point either. I'm not agreeing with whatever you're responding to because I haven't even read it; I have, however, read the most recent meta-analyses and reviews on beta-carotene supplementation. I'm a published neuroscientist with a background in general medical science and this specific topic is of interest to me as an ex-smoker and user of beta-carotene to induce mild xanthoderma.

I happen to like Baz and think he makes some astute observations. Also he injects a little humour into the forum. Whereupon you, and I I don't really like to say this but honesty compels me, come over as a a pseudo intellectual who likes to spout multisyllabic words and appear to be an expert on everything. It's not an endearing trait to the English. Say what you like about us but we're not phonies. Plus your avatar smacks of narcissism.....!
OK.. We all know you're intelligent.....
Saving those for reply before any subsequent edits. But before I go let me say A) my avatar is PS of Poch...

Interesting point for you and purely educational for me. As it's so similar to rugby and played almost entirely with hands, why is is called football? I'm not looking for an argument. I'm just curious to know.
...and B) apparently you were and weren't, respectively.

I’m such a bad parent. Subjecting my youngest to that sort of shit. I’m used to it I’ve been a Spurs fan for nearly 30 years.

I can’t believe some of those players. And how many times did we get in promising positions only for the players either shoot spectacularly over or not decide to shoot at all?

To be fair I was shocked when I saw Vorm's name on the team list. The only thing I could think of was that Mourinho wanted to give him a game to keep him sweet, unless Gazza had a slight/potential issue and needed to be protected?

I thought our main failing last night was not pressing when they had the ball. This allowed them way too much time, so their confidence grew. 1-1 was a fair result. We should have worked harder for a second goal in the first half. Our lack of strikers was most painful.

Cantwell had an excellent game for them - always a threat.

Pluses for us - LoCelso was good - and one of the few who didn't shirk a challenge. Aurier worked his socks off and Skippy looked good. Dier's performance was also good, as was Vertonghen's. Lucas also worked very hard.

Gedson was disappointing.

Dele Alli was ABSOLUTELY APPALLING. Nancying around the place, trotting, messing everything up, not finding the pass - all his worst traits concentrated into one game. He should have been subbed after 60 minutes.

Overall, I blame Mourinho's 'sit back' tactics for us not winning (and the fact that we have no goal scorers!).
I've always had the opinion if you press the team your playing it will encourage them into mistakes and you capitalize on them and score.
Our press is non existent, teams move 40 yards without any kind of tackle.

I've always had the opinion if you press the team your playing it will encourage them into mistakes and you capitalize on them and score.
Our press is non existent, teams move 40 yards without any kind of tackle.
Pretty basic recipe for success, isn't it? Why are we having to state the bleeding obvious. Poch's successful era used it well.

That link is currently considered very tenuous for non-smokers and is not exactly strong for smokers at this point either. I'm not agreeing with whatever you're responding to because I haven't even read it; I have, however, read the most recent meta-analyses and reviews on beta-carotene supplementation. I'm a published neuroscientist with a background in general medical science and this specific topic is of interest to me as an ex-smoker and user of beta-carotene to induce mild xanthoderma.
I was quickly responding to a physician in regards to another poster giving advice from 1 in vitro study. Yes, the concern was for smokers and carotenoid supplementation. But that wasn't the point of my reply. The point was the limitations of in vitro studies, in this case blueberries.

And I can't speak to bottle tanning risks. The studies I'm talking about were oral supplementation. But Trump seems to be doing ok unfortunately.

Krul's homework on his bottle.

ESTWouxWsAYILhj
Didn't Ben Foster do summit similar 'to us' in the League cup Final a few years back??
Why can't WE adopt shyster shithouse tactics... or are we above ALL that?
..also, only just realised how shit Jose's record is managing penalty shoot outs... he's lost them all (11/12), bar one with Inter!!!!

Honestly, the more I think about it, last night felt like a perfect storm of shit...

From the DJ pre match, to Dier in the crowd after it... and the shit in between that led up to that moment.... just everything!

The ONLY decent thing about yesterday was the *Burger I had in Bluecoats before the match... really REALLY good!

(*The 'Kevin Bacon' if you must know!!)

I don't why the Spurs board don't challenge the refereeing situation. What's the point of the best stadium in the world, when the FA are determined to make your team fail???

Levy must act with law suits and take on the FA and Mike Riley who are destroying Tottenham Hotspur.

All other things are secondary. Mourinho isn't perfect and made bad subs, the team has been decimated by injury, the board have failed to back Spurs when they should have and still no 2 year deal for Spurs' best defender Vertongen. But all those things don't matter if the FA are cheating Spurs and the supporters allow it.

The fans have to fight for their club. Don't follow the media trap from SKy & the BBC. I personally believe it is an anti-semitic action by the FA and some of the media and if the Spurs board challeneged it in court they would WIN!
Is this a joke or like what drugs were involved?

Who invited the pre-match DJ...?
It's like a teen disco in here!!!!
"Don't forget to Face twat your likes and emojicunts on Twatter and Instatwat... lemme hear dat noise for Chirpy ... make sum noiiiiise!
get those scarves and hands in de air, if you see yo'relf on da screen, Make sum noise, and twat your face on instacunt!

Jeeeesus Christ, we've become a fucking nightclub FFS!

" LETS GO!"
I couldn't believe what I was hearing.
Cringeworthy and fucking embarrassing.

Another game, but the same old shit from the team and the manager.

Another bizarre line-up. Vorm cost us a shot at the FA cup 2 years ago, he's barely played since for good reason and then Mou decides to let him destroy our FA cup hopes again last night. Truly mind boggling. He persists with Alli at the focal point despite him being as effective from a few yards as a surgical mask. I'll admit - I was tearing my hair out over the idea of Dier and Vertonghen forming the left hand side of our defence but I thought they were probably our two best players so I'll give Mou some small credit there.

However, yet again, the tactics were painful, pathetic, incomprehensible. IMO we cannot use the injury excuse when we are at home against the worst team in the PL. The most infuriating thing is that we show we can play football during these 10 minute phases toward the end of games where we finally decide to put some effort in. Why do we only do it between 80-90 minutes? Our players cannot be so fatigued that they can only manage ten minutes of effort - they are professional f***ing athletes!

Given all this, I find it hard not to be completely critical of Mou. For a variety of reasons I'll give him the benefit of the doubt this season, but if we play remotely like this next season I doubt I'll be the only one who very quickly turns on the "pragmatic one".

Where to start? Off the pitch first:

Moved out of the Paxton to make room for Norwich last night, me and my 16yr old decide to sit in the PL, block 254 - great view. We find our seats early, the kid taps the only fella in our row on the shoulder and politely asks to move past. With him in the seat I go for a piss and to see if I could get a beer. Only after the game on the way home did my lad say that when I was away the fella came over, got in his face and threatened him - the cunt. My lad said that he “wanted to stick up for himself and didn’t want me to cause a scene and risk getting chucked out”.

Add to that the fella in the row down falling asleep and then off his seat fucking lagging.

And then we have Dier - was it a racist? Was Dier’s brother in a row? Did Eric want to vent spleen? Who fucking knows? Just embarrassing, damaging and toxic...

I didn’t want to post while emotions were sky high last night. I’m doing so now without any hyperbole or overstatement. There is something rotten, fetid about the club right now and it’s been palpable for over a year now.
I’m not really interested in conducting a witch hunt as we are all in some way culpable - Lewis/ENIC, Levy, Poch, Mourinho, the players and yes, us the fans.

As for a comment on the game? Laughable. We were comical in our abject failure to beat the worst team in the league shorn of some of their starters. The cluelessness most evident in front of goal...scrambled minds and muddled thinking. And yeah, why Vorm?

Where to go from here? Anyone’s guess. You’d think we’ve fallen far enough wouldn’t you but there may be some way to go yet...

I couldn't believe what I was hearing.
Cringeworthy and fucking embarrassing.
Hopefully it was a one-off experiment that the club realise immediately failed miserably, and is never repeated!

....sadly, I think the club's obsession with the 'Murrican model of 'Global Superization' will mean we see it more and more....

Wait till they ditch McNamara's Band at the start of the 2nd half, in favour of a random You Tube influencers' weekly recommendation.... THAT'LL be the end of it all for many!

Millwall away in 6 months.
For them or us?

And breathe....

Watched the game over this morning, wasn’t our worst performance. Individual errors are killing us. Joseball takes some getting used to the way he sets up must be exhausting for his players... the constant pressure the coach allows the opponent to put on his team is near suicidal for this group Poch gave us several strings to our bow, but big moment mentality wasn’t one of them. Ajax aside. And Mourihno is trying to get this squad ‘to arrive in big moments’

We didn’t play that badly. Our decision making in and around the opponents box is sadly lacking that may be down to personnel

There were some positives, who knew Dier was so mobile and fit the way he made light of that hoarding stepped over it like me skipping over an errant shoe in the hallway

Back
Top Bottom