If the season isn’t completed........(Now with Poll)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If the season isn’t completed.........

• Declare the season null and void

Votes: 131 65.8%
  • Finish the season no matter how

Votes: 13 6.5%
  • End the season in the current positions

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • Award the league and champions league to Spurs.

Votes: 34 17.1%
  • Stop Liverpool being crowned champions just for a laugh.

Votes: 49 24.6%
  • Give all the prize money to Billy.

Votes: 7 3.5%

• Total voters
So what does this mean that no matter what we are finishing this season?
Depends entirely on how the pandemic situation develops.

All it takes is one confirmed case or even just the suspicion within one of the squads close to April 30 and they will have to push it further back.

Rawk seem to think the announcement means they are guaranteed to play the remaining games with the term extending "Indefinitely". The most sensible interpretation is that they are simply buying themselves time and importantly keeping their options open, nothing more. If we can play the games in June then fine, that puts us and the rest of the world in a good place. Liverpool fans seem to think it is a conspiracy against them.
They are also proposing this idea of postponing next season in line with the world cup in 2022. To them that is the easiest solution: postponing two seasons and presumably having a break in between the first season for the Euros. Tbh I don't necessarily mind that, but it is obviously not the easiest solution.
The problem is that the average Liverpool fan is so thick they can't analyse the situation from outside the narrow confines of Merseyside. The voiding of the season may be "beneficial" to me as a Spurs fan in the long run, although I wish we were not in this horrible situation. However, my main concern in the football context is arriving at a fair solution for ALL, that may end up with us missing out on top 4, so be it.

Rawk seem to think the announcement means they are guaranteed to play the remaining games with the term extending "Indefinitely". The most sensible interpretation is that they are simply buying themselves time and importantly keeping their options open, nothing more. If we can play the games in June then fine, that puts us and the rest of the world in a good place. Liverpool fans seem to think it is a conspiracy against them.
They are also proposing this idea of postponing next season in line with the world cup in 2022. To them that is the easiest solution: postponing two seasons and presumably having a break in between the first season for the Euros. Tbh I don't necessarily mind that, but it is obviously not the easiest solution.
The problem is that the average Liverpool fan is so thick they can't analyse the situation from outside the narrow confines of Merseyside. The voiding of the season may be "beneficial" to me as a Spurs fan in the long run, although I wish we were not in this horrible situation. However, my main concern in the football context is arriving at a fair solution for ALL, that may end up with us missing out on top 4, so be it.

Surely contractually Sky, Bt ,Dazn ,Amazon etc have the right to disagree with changing dates that they have already paid for ?

I think that when football finally does get restarted it's going to be a question of which clubs have managed to stay in business. The total fabric of the league system could be altered. It might be proper post-World War stuff.

This isn't something that is going to be over in the summer. Coronavirus is likely going to come back next winter and we're going to go through having to isolate again.

"The FA’s Board has agreed for this limit to be extended indefinitely for the 2019/20 season in relation to Professional Football. "

Does this mean 2019/20 season matches can be played after 8 Aug 2020, the start date of 20/21 season?

Apparently our esteemed leader has just announced the turn of the tide could be in three months?
Now that would mean less cases reported by the end of June not a cure or the end but more likely/hopefully the beginning of the end?

Apparently our esteemed leader has just announced the turn of the tide could be in three months?
Now that would mean less cases reported by the end of June not a cure or the end but more likely/hopefully the beginning of the end?
That still doesn’t give the premier league enough time to complete the matches by the 30th if June.

We have 9 EPL games left.
Let's say restart date Friday 1st May:
1 -4 -7-10-13-16-19-22-25.
ECL games R16 28th May.
Quarters: June
1-4
Semis
7-10
Final 13

EPL 2020-21 due to start 8th August so a few weeks leeway. So even if we resume a month later in June still time for players to rest.

That still doesn’t give the premier league enough time to complete the matches by the 30th if June.

Just reading on the BBC about this. They need to be playing again early May to be complete by June 30. There's 9 or 10 matches each in the league for teams but man city could play a max of 19 if the got to both FA cup and CL finals (if they keep the 2 leg ties).

If their 1st game was in May 13th and the played a game every 3 day (have to have 2 days between games usually) the last game would be the 30th of June.

Boris said today we could turn the tide in 12 weeks, that's June 11th. There's no way the government would allow crucial medical staff to supervise the matches and have copper there to stop people gathering by the stadium.

I forgot about the FA Cup. For those teams lucky enough to still be involved then postpone those games until next season.
Could well be League Cup abandoned for 1 season.
FA Cup is at quarter final stage so obviously 3 games max for only 2 teams.

Last edited:
We have 9 EPL games left.
Let's say restart date Friday 1st May:
1 -4 -7-10-13-16-19-22-25.
ECL games R16 28th May.
Quarters: June
1-4
Semis
7-10
Final 13

EPL 2020-21 due to start 8th August so a few weeks leeway. So even if we resume a month later in June still time for players to rest.
You can only start putting dates on fixtures at least 6 weeks after C19 is peaked.

It will be a gradual acceptance, first FA cup will be cancelled for this season then UEFA will cancel EL and CL and then EPL will declare 19/20 null and void.

Why 6 weeks?
It is human nature to want to get back to normal ASAP. I am only guessing but I reckon we will be playing again June latest.
Because it will peak but the government will not know until they get the figures and then also you have to wait for another number weeks to come to the bottom of the curve.

I forgot about the FA Cup. For those teams lucky enough to still be involved then postpone those games until next season.
Could well be League Cup abandoned for 1 season.
FA Cup is at quarter final stage so obviously 3 games max for only 2 teams.

Just scrap the FA Cup this season?

Back
Top Bottom