Anyone else going to be boycotting matches, after recent events?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Will you be boycotting matches, to show your displeasure at the treatment of non-playing staff?

• Total voters
I wonder if all the people defending Enic over this realise we will end up paying for this in increased taxes for years to come
Wait a second, one minute it’s “only” £1.5m and the next, we’ll be paying for it for years to come? How does that work? Maybe 30m tax payers in the UK, so 5p each? Fuck it, I’ll even pay yours. And I’m scottish.

They are all parasites, take easyJet as an example paying out millions to shareholders last month now furhlonging staff , I think it’s just highlighted more in football when you are still paying someone like Harry Kane £200k a week but can’t pay Janet the tea lady £2k a month.
Do you think that disparity in pay was fair six months ago? Did you even think about poor Janet, trying to get by on her paltry £24k per annum for dunking tea bags? Or is this pandemic based indignation?

Wait a second, one minute it’s “only” £1.5m and the next, we’ll be paying for it for years to come? How does that work? Maybe 30m tax payers in the UK, so 5p each? Fuck it, I’ll even pay yours. And I’m scottish.
You do realise we aren’t the only club or business doing this right? : ostrich:

Do you think that disparity in pay was fair six months ago? Did you even think about poor Janet, trying to get by on her paltry £24k per annum for dunking tea bags? Or is this pandemic based indignation?
Yeah fair point let’s put the tea lady on £100k a year and the kit man on £150k a year , I hate to break it to you but Janet isn’t really the tea lady , we don’t even have a tea lady, but if you can’t see how it’s wrong for all these million and billion pound businesses dipping into the public purse to pay staff they can afford to then do me a favour and stick me on ignore, aint got time for stupid , pandemic or not

Last edited:
Yeah fair point let’s put the tea lady on £100k a year and the kit man on £150k a year , I hate to break it to you but Janet isn’t really the tea lady , we don’t even have a tea lady, but if you can’t see how it’s wrong for all these million and billion pound businesses dipping into the public purse to pay staff they can afford to then do me a favour and stick me on ignore, aint got time for stupid , pandemic or not
You don’t get to dictate to me how I use the forum I’m afraid. Just like I can’t stop you posting shite.

There are plenty of examples of me posting that I’m not in agreement with what we’ve done. Well done for not reading any of them and assuming instead that I’m backing our decision. Top quality forum work there.

Proud of you for completely avoiding the question id asked anyway and just going on a wee tirade instead. Quality.

You don’t get to dictate to me how I use the forum I’m afraid. Just like I can’t stop you posting shite.

There are plenty of examples of me posting that I’m not in agreement with what we’ve done. Well done for not reading any of them and assuming instead that I’m backing our decision. Top quality forum work there.

Proud of you for completely avoiding the question id asked anyway and just going on a wee tirade instead. Quality.
Who gives a fuck how much one employee earns compared to the other, when the business is self sufficient they can pay the staff what ever they want, when they decide they cant afford to pay the staff at the bottom while keeping other staff on £200 k a week and use a government scheme to help with the lowest earners wages its a fucking disgrace, any how i cant say i have really noticed any of your posts before, and judging by the way you carry on there is probably a reason for that, you seem like a grade A twat. If you want to live in a country where everyone earns the same regardless fuck off to Cuba instead of living in a country where your Economy is propped up by your bitter rivals! now fuck of ya wee bawbag!

Who gives a fuck how much one employee earns compared to the other, when the business is self sufficient they can pay the staff what ever they want, when they decide they cant afford to pay the staff at the bottom while keeping other staff on £200 k a week and use a government scheme to help with the lowest earners wages its a fucking disgrace, any how i cant say i have really noticed any of your posts before, and judging by the way you carry on there is probably a reason for that, you seem like a grade A twat. If you want to live in a country where everyone earns the same regardless fuck off to Cuba instead of living in a country where your Economy is propped up by your bitter rivals! now fuck of ya wee bawbag!
I don’t want to live in such a country. And that, my dim friend, is my obvious point.

I was asking where all this concern for our lower earners was last month. Nobody gave a shite then. However it appears you have no issue with the disparity in wages, just the fact that the tax payer will foot the bill. For more than one club or business (thanks for pointing that out too).

May I ask where you got your economics degree? Have you actually sat down and worked out of the furlough scheme is a good idea or have you just gone into a bluster because you pay tax?

Have you spent the time working out the longer term economic benefits of keeping the club self sufficient? Of not laying off staff? Of not having staff come to work and transmit this disease? Of bailing out EasyJet and the following fiscal benefits this may well actually have? Of keeping the banks afloat?

Doesn’t seem like it to me. But hey, you may prove me wrong with the numbers. I’m happy to be told I’m wrong and that you are all over this.

I don’t want to live in such a country. And that, my dim friend, is my obvious point.

I was asking where all this concern for our lower earners was last month. Nobody gave a shite then. However it appears you have no issue with the disparity in wages, just the fact that the tax payer will foot the bill. For more than one club or business (thanks for pointing that out too).

May I ask where you got your economics degree? Have you actually sat down and worked out of the furlough scheme is a good idea or have you just gone into a bluster because you pay tax?

Have you spent the time working out the longer term economic benefits of keeping the club self sufficient? Of not laying off staff? Of not having staff come to work and transmit this disease? Of bailing out EasyJet and the following fiscal benefits this may well actually have? Of keeping the banks afloat?

Doesn’t seem like it to me. But hey, you may prove me wrong with the numbers. I’m happy to be told I’m wrong and that you are all over this.
you don't need an Economics degree to realise that if you can carry on paying your top earners, some on £200k per week you don't need to rely on a government scheme to pay 80% of your lowest earners wages?
If a business is actually at risk of going bust then sure the scheme is great, but only a fool would believe that is the case with Spurs. We could have easily afforded to keep all our staff on full pay for the next 3 months and then reassess the situation, this scheme should only be used as a last resort, as for Easy-jet surely a company that can afford to pay shareholder over £170 million can afford to pay there staff without relying on a government scheme.

you don't need an Economics degree to realise that if you can carry on paying your top earners, some on £200k per week you don't need to rely on a government scheme to pay 80% of your lowest earners wages?
If a business is actually at risk of going bust then sure the scheme is great, but only a fool would believe that is the case with Spurs. We could have easily afforded to keep all our staff on full pay for the next 3 months and then reassess the situation, this scheme should only be used as a last resort, as for Easy-jet surely a company that can afford to pay shareholder over £170 million can afford to pay there staff without relying on a government scheme.
I suppose that’s fair. If we can afford it we should do it. Maybe we should offer to pay more tax every year. We can afford it.

We have a business with no revenue. But we certainly could afford to pay our staff full salary for the next few months. Maybe even a year or two. But when does the revenue start coming in again? And I’m very sure we’ve tried to get those highly paid players to reduce their wages too.

I have to say, after seeing the behaviour of the club (no, it isn't being "overblown" as the ENIC defenders would have you believe) we are owned by a fucking billionaire, no excuses for using government money to pay staff, 3 months would be £1.5M to pay all staff, that's a piss in a puddle for ENIC.

Do you think that by suggesting government funds should be means tested against whomever is the majority owner that it could also be deemed 'unfair'.

If you work closes down - should YOU be denied the fur-longed payment if you are 'rich'? What if you own your own house? Own a car? Have savings in the bank? Nice big pension pot?

For me; the players not volunteering to take a temporary pay cut abhorrent. Especially then rushing to set up a voluntary and anonymous fund for the NHS - just a PR grab to prevent their wages being slashed.

World football; and indeed all sports MUST introduce salary caps and link outgoings to revenue. WE do not want to pay 80 quid to attend a game, pay 80 quid a month to watch on TV - just so that it can line the pockets of these walking haircuts.

2 Million quid a year max for players. If they don't like it; get a job elsewhere.

Cap on season ticket and gate prices. 10 quid max for a kid, 25 for an adult.

4 of the 10 games Free to air every week.

It's all being very well overblown. Companies worth many times over more than Spurs have taken the exact same measures. You going to switch off the lights to punish Eon? Scrap your Nissan? Boycott British Airways? Forego that McD's? Skip the cuppa at Costa? Give up shopping at Primark?

It's a ridiculous double standard, expecting football clubs, a business that has some of the thinnest financial margins in the entire world, to sit by and eat losses that amount to double digit percentages of turnover whilst every other business in the world takes advantage of government programs designed to protect business from default.

Levy is merely protecting the solvency of the club. If this lasts another month, you see big bollocks Liverpool come back hat in hand as well. No company, much less a football club, can go months on end paying their payroll whilst paying overhead with zero revenue stream.
"Other people do it too" is one of the worst yet most common rhetorical defences humans have come up with. If that is a sufficient defence, anyone can justify engaging in the same behaviour as the very worst of us.

Taken to its logical conclusion, using "other people do it too" to justify your actions creates one big race to the absolute rock bottom of humanity. Needless to say, it could cause a collapse of society in any one of millions of ways.

Last edited:
Do you think that by suggesting government funds should be means tested against whomever is the majority owner that it could also be deemed 'unfair'.

If you work closes down - should YOU be denied the fur-longed payment if you are 'rich'? What if you own your own house? Own a car? Have savings in the bank? Nice big pension pot?

For me; the players not volunteering to take a temporary pay cut abhorrent. Especially then rushing to set up a voluntary and anonymous fund for the NHS - just a PR grab to prevent their wages being slashed.

World football; and indeed all sports MUST introduce salary caps and link outgoings to revenue. WE do not want to pay 80 quid to attend a game, pay 80 quid a month to watch on TV - just so that it can line the pockets of these walking haircuts.

2 Million quid a year max for players. If they don't like it; get a job elsewhere.

Cap on season ticket and gate prices. 10 quid max for a kid, 25 for an adult.

4 of the 10 games Free to air every week.

It all fell apart when they abolished the £100 a week wage ceiling.....

Joking aside - the only way your proposal will work will be for every country in the world to agree to it, or you are going to end up with a Chinese super league with all of the players moving there (maybe not to Wuhan) - which means it won't happen.

But you are right, something like this needs to happen

It would be nice if this pandemic could flush away a lot of the greed and excess in the world

No. For those of you who are don’t bother coming back once we start winning again and heaven forbid win a trophy. If you can’t support the club in the tough times (which this isn’t) then don’t support them in the good.

Sounds harsh but what’s the point supporting a team if your going to be fair weather about it. I’m fed up with it.

People throwing around profit margins from 2018/19 are missing the boat on this. The key metric is how much cash the club actually has on hand as of April 1 2020.

Using some recently released figures, Spurs had 123.5 million in cash on hand on June 30, 2019 (all figures are in GBP). That number is surely lower as of April 1, 2020 after the purchases of Ndombele, Sessegnon, Clarke and Lo Celso, as well as increased wage expenses for players and additional staff required for the new stadium. The club also only received about 75-80% of expected revenue the 2019/20 season.

Total expenses were 292.4m for 2018/19, so between that and the interest on club debt, outgoing monthly cash is, at minimum, 27m. Now those expenses will go down for various reasons (expenses related to match days, travel, training, etc..) but a lot of these are high fixed cost (player salary, for instance). If I had to guess, the club likely has enough cash on hand to sustain operations for a few months to half a year at most.

Again, I think the club should be making the furloughed employees whole and pay the 20% on top of the 80% provided by the government scheme, but the numbers make it clearer as to why Levy is rightfully concerned about the club finances given the uncertainty at the moment. Football clubs are relatively small operations and basically have no margins in the long run. Most clubs rely on their owner to cover the difference especially in times like these, and ideally, Joe Lewis would sell a painting or two and we wouldn't even be talking about this, but for the moment Spurs are on their own.

"Other people do it too" is one of the worst yet most common rhetorical defences humans have come up with. If that is a sufficient defence, anyone can justify engaging in the same behaviour as the very worst of us.

Taken to its logical conclusion, using "other people do it too" to justify your actions creates one big race to the absolute rock bottom of humanity. Needless to say, it could cause a collapse of society in any one of millions of ways.
I'm not saying other people don't, too, though. I'm saying many, many, many other people are doing it at a much, much larger scale but no one gives half a fuck about it - it's only the football clubs that are getting stick for doing it. That's hypocritical. In a post somewhere in here I clearly stated that if you're against the furlough scheme in general then fair enough. But if you aren't going to berate the big financial institutions, Nissan, Coca-Cola, Primark, Eon and the like, then you should probably stop whinging incessantly about fucking Spurs and ENIC. The number of people Spurs have furloughed by comparison is fucking minuscule.

, my dim friend.....:mourlmao:

Back
Top Bottom